Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - Auto Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called my local insurance broker, he was able to get me both my MY and Volvo XC60 for $755.00/6 months through Travelers with slightly better coverage. Boggles my mind the difference these companies have in rates.

Also, when speaking with my agent, he said that a lot of these insurance companies are only listing the Model Y Performance AWD, not the LR AWD. He looked at my Geico policy and they have my LR AWD listed as a “Performance”, clearly not what I have. That’s got to be where the swing in prices lie.

This happened to me before on a snowmobile insurance policy. I had a 2013 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo Sno-Pro. My insurance cards listed it as a 2013 Arctic Cat F800 Sno-Pro. Two totally different machines. The VIN numbers on the registration and insurance cards matched. Seems strange they can’t get things sorted out. Kind of important details to screw up?

Also, when speaking with my agent, he said that a lot of these insurance companies are only listing the Model Y Performance AWD, not the LR AWD. He looked at my Geico policy and they have my LR AWD listed as a “Performance”, clearly not what I have. That’s got to be where the swing in prices lie.
I'm not sure if that even matters, from previous experience it seems more the repair cost and your personal risk for liability that determines the premium. When I insured my BMW 435 GC a few years ago it was a new model, geico did not have it in their system, and they charged the same as for a 328 in my understanding. Guess there are just too many factors involved (age, driving experience, previous claims, deductable etc.) to really figure out what the logic behind the insurance cost is. Now paying $367 for a 2018 Leaf with Geico for 6 months, fully comprehensive and high limits.

Last edited: