Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting some conflicting answers on this.

I currently have my Valentine 1 wired to the middle console, but the detector stays on when the car is charging which I am trying to avoid.
  1. For those who have hardwired it, does it still stay on when charging the car?
  2. Where did you hardwire it? From what I’ve read, the driver’s side (pigtail connector) will only work if you have the tow package. Is that true?
  3. Did you hardwire it on the passenger side instead? I read that it is one of the red wires. If you did this, going back to question #1 - does the detector stay on when charging?
Thanks.

What does it matter?

I would prefer my accessories to stay on but I am pretty sure they are on the "passenger" footwell red circuit which is the driver side here. Will have to check next time I charge.

If you are hooking anything up like that please use a fuse! You don't want a 3rd party gear failure burning up your electrics.

What does it matter?

I would prefer my accessories to stay on but I am pretty sure they are on the "passenger" footwell red circuit which is the driver side here. Will have to check next time I charge.

If you are hooking anything up like that please use a fuse! You don't want a 3rd party gear failure burning up your electrics.

From what I’ve been reading, leaving the radar detector on for long term can drain the 12V battery.

From what I’ve been reading, leaving the radar detector on for long term can drain the 12V battery.
The car's DC to DC converter keeps the 12V/16V topped up when low. It would be running if the car is awake and the radar detector is on. I don't believe there is a scenario in which a 12V appliance can kill a Tesla since the car can just recharge itself when needed.

When the car is awakened, your radar detector will briefly power up. It will turn off when the car goes back to sleep. I had the same concern you did with my Uniden R7. Once the radar install guy I used informed me of the waking of the car powering up the detector but powering it off upon going back to sleep my worries were alleviated. I have gone back after the car was awakened and watched for the detector to blink off upon going back to sleep. Hope this helps with the passenger footwell hardwiring as that is where they tapped into my power for the Uniden.

When the car is awakened, your radar detector will briefly power up. It will turn off when the car goes back to sleep. I had the same concern you did with my Uniden R7. Once the radar install guy I used informed me of the waking of the car powering up the detector but powering it off upon going back to sleep my worries were alleviated. I have gone back after the car was awakened and watched for the detector to blink off upon going back to sleep. Hope this helps with the passenger footwell hardwiring as that is where they tapped into my power for the Uniden.
Thanks for the info. Just to confirm - the detector turns off even when the car is plugged in and charging but is asleep?