Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to stop supplying false information about SCE's electric rates. The non-peak rate available with TOU-D Prime is $0.22 per KWH.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has posted that a Tesla can be cost justified by the difference in fuel and maintenance costs alone when compared to one of the most fuel efficient cars. But at .22 per KWH, the EPA site says that an MY AWD will save over $10,000 in fuel costs alone over 5 years when compared with the mythical average car that gets 27mpg. at the current Costco gas price of $5.35 per gallon.

Finally, you can't use your 5 year old Prius in a fair cost comparison. If you look at the cost of a somewhat similar new Prius (lets say a Limited model) you are in the $34,000 price range not counting any dealer markup. But at the end of the day you are driving a Prius and not a Tesla. Since I also have a Prius, I can tell you that its Tesla is a much nicer car (and it should be at the price difference).

I am still driving my Prius since I got it in 2012. The vehicle is very rock solid and proven reliability pays for it self. Even if it would be a $7/gallon, this thing is relatively cheap to maintain that no Tesla can match the Prius when it comes to cost of ownership.

Now, I've been eyeing the MY for some time, but this thing is just $70k north for some 250m of range is just sounds a bit ridiculous imo. Also you need a fast charging system in your home otherwise you will be messing with this thing more than with any gas car. Probably I will order the MY sooner or later just to satisfy myself..

Comparing a prius to a tesla…. Honestly as reliable and great as the Prius was, I had a 2011 that I took to 297k miles before I got into a car accident. Oil changes every 10k miles. Nothing else. So I know something about Prius reliability. With that said, the Toyota Prius is so far down the totem pole of driving experience I would never go back after driving the MYP. They’re not even in the same universe to compare.

Comparing a prius to a tesla…. Honestly as reliable and great as the Prius was, I had a 2011 that I took to 297k miles before I got into a car accident. Oil changes every 10k miles. Nothing else. So I know something about Prius reliability. With that said, the Toyota Prius is so far down the totem pole of driving experience I would never go back after driving the MYP. They’re not even in the same universe to compare.

You are correct about the driving experience, but we take into consideration other factors too and cost of ownership is one of them. Just ask your self, will you keep your tesla for the next ten years? I really doubt it while you probably wouldn't care much about the Prius.

With that being said, the MY is a terrific car while being very expensive at this time.

You are correct about the driving experience, but we take into consideration other factors too and cost of ownership is one of them. Just ask your self, will you keep your tesla for the next ten years? I really doubt it while you probably wouldn't care much about the Prius.

With that being said, the MY is a terrific car while being very expensive at this time.
I certainly plan on keeping my AWD MY for 10 years. It also is a better car with new features that it didn't have when it was delivered in Dec of 2020. My Prius never changed in a positive way.

Reactions: mangrove79
I am still driving my Prius since I got it in 2012. The vehicle is very rock solid and proven reliability pays for it self. Even if it would be a $7/gallon, this thing is relatively cheap to maintain that no Tesla can match the Prius when it comes to cost of ownership.

Now, I've been eyeing the MY for some time, but this thing is just $70k north for some 250m of range is just sounds a bit ridiculous imo. Also you need a fast charging system in your home otherwise you will be messing with this thing more than with any gas car. Probably I will order the MY sooner or later just to satisfy myself..
LOL, so funny, that’s exactly my story, totally love my 2011 Prius, (original owner) over 250K miles & going strong; Still getting around 38 mpg..
Wife & I are retired now and have saved enough to have taken delivery of a MYP,
Mostly a gift for her, she loves it and that’s all that matters (45 years of happy marriage) happy wife, happy life.

After about 4 weeks, now spending another $30K on solar panels 😬😂🤣

My wife has a current mobile Notary service and she’s putting on the miles.

We have grandkids in AZ and I rather drive my Prius there from SoCal.
Five hour drive, 75-85 mph, no stops on about 9 gallons😃👍🏻

I certainly plan on keeping my AWD MY for 10 years. It also is a better car with new features that it didn't have when it was delivered in Dec of 2020. My Prius never changed in a positive way.

LOL, so funny, that’s exactly my story, totally love my 2011 Prius, (original owner) over 250K miles & going strong; Still getting around 38 mpg..
Wife & I are retired now and have saved enough to have taken delivery of a MYP,
Mostly a gift for her, she loves it and that’s all that matters (45 years of happy marriage) happy wife, happy life.

After about 4 weeks, now spending another $30K on solar panels 😬😂🤣

My wife has a current mobile Notary service and she’s putting on the miles.

We have grandkids in AZ and I rather drive my Prius there from SoCal.
Five hour drive, 75-85 mph, no stops on about 9 gallons😃👍🏻

Exactly. My wife wants the MY so badly and I will need to order it soon. The MY looks terrific and incredibly fun to drive, but that's about it I guess and doesn't really need a Prius comparison even though I still compare it. That is what happens when you keep the car for so many years. It's just ridiculous to compare.

Let’s get serious. No Prius driver drives 75-85MPH. Majority are coasting between 55 and 60MPH on the freeway and no more than 40MPH on the streets.

No offense but Prius drivers are the worst.

I do around 70MPH on the freeway and average speed on the streets like everybody else. The Prius drivers used to be the worst and that was a case years ago, but right now I think the perception has changed and the Prius owners flow with everyone on the streets because the gas savings are pretty much still the same no matter how you drive.

Exactly. My wife wants the MY so badly and I will need to order it soon. The MY looks terrific and incredibly fun to drive, but that's about it I guess and doesn't really need a Prius comparison even though I still compare it. That is what happens when you keep the car for so many years. It's just ridiculous to compare.
After spending over $100K on the MYP and Solar panels.. I truly appreciate my Prius so much more.. But in exchange I have a happy wife 🤷🏻‍♂️😂🤣

Ha Ha 😲 Apparently you’ve never owned a Prius.. only thing that stops me from doing 100 mph is my wife 😬😂🤣
The Prius can actually do a 100? I always felt like a chariot and a horse was faster. But it is funny, I’ve had a number of first generation Prius’ try to race me.

At first, my reaction was
confused-jaguarsfan.gif

Then it was..

50cent-driving.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: Doc Brown
Let’s get serious. No Prius driver drives 75-85MPH. Majority are coasting between 55 and 60MPH on the freeway and no more than 40MPH on the streets.

...and for the cost 9 gallons of gas, you can completely charge a Tesla like 3 times while pausing to stretch your legs which would be in a state of rigor mortis if you hammered yourself for 5 relentless hours down the highway in a Prius at 85 mph

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz

@leoita It's 2022 and we're still driving our 2013 S P85... 🤷‍♂️

We did buy a 2021 M3P last fall. I've already dropped $6k+ on suspension and wheels for it so I'd better be in it for the long haul too. 😅

That said, I think you're right in general. People who buy expensive cars, and pick them for reasons beyond basic practicality, tend to change cars more often. They will find more reasons/excuses to upgrade frequently than people who only care about having a functional transportation appliance.

Reactions: mangrove79

I do around 70MPH on the freeway and average speed on the streets like everybody else. The Prius drivers used to be the worst and that was a case years ago, but right now I think the perception has changed and the Prius owners flow with everyone on the streets because the gas savings are pretty much still the same no matter how you drive.
@RedWhite19 Yeah Prius drivers always driving slow was a thing, but @leoita is right, that's way outdated now. Nowadays the average Prius driver is like any other driver, except with a very high chance of driving for Uber/Lyft/rideshare (which wasn't a thing yet when the Prius first exploded in popularity).

A car is a car. As I’ve gotten older cost of ownership means less. Comfort and joy outweighs any cons. I kept the Prius for 6 years from 0 - 297k miles. I don’t commute like I used to but plenty of tesla owners have gone over 150k miles. I expect the same more less. One of the main issues I had was the 4-5 oil changes per year I had to do. That does get old real quick with the amount of driving I was doing. I cut my commute in half now. But to spend that much time in a car, I wouldn’t want anything outside of tesla. Auto pilot is game changer for me. Practicality is one thing but convenience outweighed anything an ICE vehicle can give. We can’t tell others how to spend their money but don’t compare Prius to tesla.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.