Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any happy camper here with the price cut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's probably more
I tried to summarize for myself the interval and model changes between my Model 3 LR bought in 2018, and a Model Y of recent vintage. The Model 3 msrp was 50k, and a $7,500 federal tax incentive was available. Truly amazing progress.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 4.18.38 PM.png

I tried to summarize for myself the interval and model changes between my Model 3 LR bought in 2018, and a Model Y of recent vintage. The Model 3 msrp was 50k, and a $7,500 federal tax incentive was available. Truly amazing progress.

View attachment 896215
There's a couple I didn't include because they were added pre-2023 and I was talking about this one specifically. Overall point is that Tesla updates/upgrades stuff on these cars on a monthly basis in some cases.

Are we sure the matrix headlights is a permanent update to the Model Y LR? I think I read it was only temporary due to supply line constraints and they would be going back to the standard ones once they had them stocked again. Not sure yet if that's the case but they don't list them specifically so that seems to support that sentiment.

I really hope mine comes with them but I'm not entirely sure it will have them so I'm attempting to temper my expectations on that one until I see mine specifically and check for the circular part on the outer assembly.

With so many articles about how Tesla demand had evaporated, this new pricing is going to assure that Tesla will sell every car they can possibly produce. This is perhaps the most important thing.
Tesla says they are getting their supply line costs in line, investments in battery production, sourcing and cost in check. Newer technology such as large single castings etc. significantly reducing their costs of productions, and margins perhaps the highest in the industry, and new production coming on line, will insure the success of the company.

Making their cars eligible for the Federal Tax Credits and support will assure a lineup at every delivery center.

Are we sure the matrix headlights is a permanent update to the Model Y LR? I
Sorry, I don't know.
The feature improvement I listed was old tech to better old tech.

I appreciate your point. I was trying to highlight that in 5 years Tesla has (in one senses, anyway) turned the Model 3 LR into a dramatically improved Model Y LR while lowering the cost in inflation adjusted dollars.

Last edited:
^^ This is it in a nutshell. People should listen more carefully to Elon, and read the mission statement. Tesla is one of the few companies that actually live by their statement. Both Tesla and Elon make it clear that transition to clean energy trumps profits. So long as Tesla can make a profit on every car, the company will grow as fast as it knows how. The trend to lower prices is baked into their DNA, albeit with bumps when demand outstrips supply.

Go Tesla !
Haha, you really think Elon and Tesla is putting the transition to clean energy over profit?
That’s like saying the big oil companies put consumers first while gas prices spiked last year.
Elon jacked up the prices as high as he could over the past couple of years to take advantage of the market.
I’m not saying it was wrong, he is running a business. But to say he is putting the transition to clean energy over profit is a joke.

Haha, you really think Elon and Tesla is putting the transition to clean energy over profit?

Yes.
Tesla is growing as fast as they can. That says it all, and it is what matters to me. Otherwise I would be driving a Prius. Or a Honda Fit.
Your confusion is over the fact that Tesla sells its production for maximum profit. That is obviously true, but besides my point.

Reactions: cdub
Elon jacked up the prices as high as he could over the past couple of years to take advantage of the market.
The prices went up after the wait times became ridiculous. The long wait times were bad for customers and bad for Tesla. They also caused used prices to spike sometimes higher than new, which again was not good for consumers. This was nothing like the gas price spikes. Making money when demand is ridiculously high is not inconsistent with Tesla's mission statement.

The talk of the upgrades over time is a big one. My new Y scratches almost every itch that I had with my 2019 Model 3. Some of those are feature upgrades that I was missing with the SR+ trim level, but others were applied to all of them.

My 3 had some of the worst road noise of any car that I've owned, and my Y is almost silent in comparison. The seats aren't nearly as stiff, and I use the heated wheel and power liftgate daily. Ride is also substantially improved, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with different suspension settings for the Y. It's still not as good as my EV6 was, but a mile better than my 3.

My new Y is just great. I wish I had known what I know now and waited another few weeks to purchase, but that's life.

That’s like saying the big oil companies put consumers first while gas prices spiked last year.
I’m not saying it was wrong, he is running a business. But to say he is putting the transition to clean energy over profit is a joke.

I have to chuckle at the mental gymnastics people go through to turn a $13,000 price cut into an example of corporate greed. Automakers and dealers have been printing money over the last few years by selling fewer vehicles at higher margin. Volume brands have been trying to move upmarket for decades to enjoy the kind of profit margin that luxury brands do. But a $13K price cut happened because Tesla is greedy? I can respect almost any point of view, but this is just silly.

I have to chuckle at the mental gymnastics people go through to turn a $13,000 price cut into an example of corporate greed. Automakers and dealers have been printing money over the last few years by selling fewer vehicles at higher margin. Volume brands have been trying to move upmarket for decades to enjoy the kind of profit margin that luxury brands do. But a $13K price cut happened because Tesla is greedy? I can respect almost any point of view, but this is just silly.
Where did I say the $13k price cut happened due to corporate greed?

The talk of the upgrades over time is a big one. My new Y scratches almost every itch that I had with my 2019 Model 3. Some of those are feature upgrades that I was missing with the SR+ trim level, but others were applied to all of them.

My 3 had some of the worst road noise of any car that I've owned, and my Y is almost silent in comparison. The seats aren't nearly as stiff, and I use the heated wheel and power liftgate daily. Ride is also substantially improved, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with different suspension settings for the Y. It's still not as good as my EV6 was, but a mile better than my 3.

My new Y is just great. I wish I had known what I know now and waited another few weeks to purchase, but that's life.

This is a very healthy view from someone who could just as easily be bitter. I wish more people shared this view and approach because it's much easier to feel bad for them as a result of timing. We've all experienced it in one way or another (try being in real estate investment leading up to 2008 for example) and it's not fun. At all. But blaming everyone else for your own decision is a type of victim mentality that I can't grasp and certainly don't condone. The way people are emboldened to spew such toxicity at corporate entities they chose to do business with in the first place is puzzling.

Back on topic: the upgrades over time also has another side: software. As someone who has now owned 7 Model S between 2013-2017 I can say that there is a clear line of demarcation even though it's unspoken towards the older cars whenever newer software features come out. For me, it will be nice to own something brand new with lots of major hardware advancements that I know is going to get said update upgrades for years to come unlike my current cars that get next to nothing, which I'm actually also fine despite what this posts might insinuate.

I'm content both with what I got for what I paid on my used older cars but excited for what the future holds with a car that has 4680 cells as an example of something that can might just unlock a couple of doors down the road for more range or performance via basic software updates. That said, this Model Y is a really good car as it sits now and has come a long ways since I first entertained the idea of owning one from owning Model S's back in the day.

Is this thread not about the price cut? Your post argued that it was a cynical move to make money. I've never heard of someone dropping prices 20% to cash in.

This thread is for people able to sit down comfortably. You belong in another thread
You two obviously didn’t read the entire thread and my original response quoted to get the context of my response.

Might get hate for this post but going to do it anyways.

enough of all these sour post about the new price cut. Any new happy camper took advantage of the new prices?welcome!

Wish I could convince my wife to replace her Prius prime for a M3. 😭
Happy camper here. I have a 2020 Model 3(wife's car) with 4 payments remaining. My plan has been to purchase the Model Y(my car) in May, as soon as Model 3 payment ended. I had been cringing with every price increase the last year but was resigned to having to pay top dollar for my favorite EV brand. BTW, I passed on the late December $7500 + 10,000 free SC offer as I didn't want to have double car payments for another five months. THEN, last Thursday(1-12-23) I thought I was hallucinating when the Tesla super discount hit the airwaves. I thought about it, talked it over with my wife saying this offer could disappear just as suddenly as it did appear. Boom, pulled the trigger and ordered the Model Y, dual motor, long range, all wheel drive, red multi-coat paint, black interior, 19" Gemini wheels, five seat = $54,990.00 = INCREDIBLE! My estimate delivery date is January 25 - February 8th. WOW! Tesla app says my car is located in Bend, OR awaiting final delivery details. My excitement and anticipation are on a par with our pickup of the Model 3 in Portland, OR in March 2020, the same day the Fremont factory shut down due to the pandemic. While I understand previous buyers disappointment in their missing these discounts, I get it. Example, I have not been so lucky in some real estate transactions due to then current market conditions :-( It's hard to explain the unexplainable but I'll take this one!

Reactions: yellowr6 and cdub
Status
Not open for further replies.