Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got lots of "What kind of car is that? Do you have to put gas in it? Oh, that's cool, i've never heard of that!" during that test drive... One of my friends also threw a "What kind of engine is in this?" at me.

My buddy tagged along for my Model S test drive last week. During the ride he asked what kind of gas mileage it got, and then almost immediately face palmed. :D

I think some Tesla owners are our own worst enemies. I've had variations of the following conversation at least a dozen times at Service Centers, parking lots, or occasionally superchargers.

Fellow Tesla Owner seeing my out-of-state license plate: "Wow, you drove here all the way from Connecticut?"

Me: "Yes".

TO: "How many times do you charge"?

Me: "I didn't". (or maybe "Once" or "a few" depending on how far I traveled).

The point is A LOT of Tesla owners really don't drive their cars outside of their local residential area, and really don't understand that the car can be used for long-distance trips.

When I tell these folks that I've driven the car to Florida and back (twice), as well as Chicago, North Carolina, Vermont, etc... they are just in awe and even as Tesla owners, can't understand that their own car is fully capable of this kind of travel.

The incident that triggered my writing this post happened in New Jersey, 66 miles from my house. I didn't have time to get into a detailed discussion with this owner, but he made it sound like I just drove down from the Yukon Territory he was that surprised.

I wonder how to reach people like this, because it's not just one or two isolated incidents. Maybe Tesla needs to do a better job at informing owners just how easy it is to do long-distance trips.

BTW, when this conversation has happened as Superchargers, the other owner is usually local and just "filling up". Yes, I know that's an entirely different conversation.

And this is why the face-to-face interaction is so important! Even though you didn't have time for a detailed explanation, your PRESENCE and the knowledge that you were on a long trip almost certainly had an impact on your interlocutor.

If someone told me that I was a brand ambassador for Tesla, I'd puke on their shoes. I'm too ornery to tolerate that self-image. But as an ambassador for a technology still early on the adoption curve -- as an ambassador for the electrification of transport and the benefits that it brings -- then, yes, I can live with that. As an ambassador for the best implementation to date of that technology, wrapped into a company that offers all kinds of other benefits -- ok, I can live with that, too. And so I view ALL motivated Tesla owners as ambassadors in one form or another. These onesie-twosie conversations have a disproportionate impact because the affected person moves on to talk to many others; it's a network/graph effect and non-linear. We can see the knee of the curve approaching for Tesla later this year. I think the knee of the curve for EVs in general is on the visible horizon.

And all of the foregoing is why I will put random strangers behind the wheel of my car and let them drive; or put them into the passenger seat and accelerate the bejeezus out of them; or why I talk to anyone who will listen about this topic. The knock-on effects, baby.

Kudos to you, @Hank!

Alan

And this is why the face-to-face interaction is so important! Even though you didn't have time for a detailed explanation, your PRESENCE and the knowledge that you were on a long trip almost certainly had an impact on your interlocutor.

If someone told me that I was a brand ambassador for Tesla, I'd puke on their shoes. I'm too ornery to tolerate that self-image. But as an ambassador for a technology still early on the adoption curve -- as an ambassador for the electrification of transport and the benefits that it brings -- then, yes, I can live with that. As an ambassador for the best implementation to date of that technology, wrapped into a company that offers all kinds of other benefits -- ok, I can live with that, too. And so I view ALL motivated Tesla owners as ambassadors in one form or another. These onesie-twosie conversations have a disproportionate impact because the affected person moves on to talk to many others; it's a network/graph effect and non-linear. We can see the knee of the curve approaching for Tesla later this year. I think the knee of the curve for EVs in general is on the visible horizon.

And all of the foregoing is why I will put random strangers behind the wheel of my car and let them drive; or put them into the passenger seat and accelerate the bejeezus out of them; or why I talk to anyone who will listen about this topic. The knock-on effects, baby.

Kudos to you, @Hank!

Alan
I was planning on letting coworkers and friends test drive my Tesla, then I found out it goes against my insurance, if they wreck it. I had always thought it went against their insurance. I don't think it's worth the risk. I just tell them to go test drive at the local Tesla "dealership".

I was planning on letting coworkers and friends test drive my Tesla, then I found out it goes against my insurance, if they wreck it. I had always thought it went against their insurance. I don't think it's worth the risk. I just tell them to go test drive at the local Tesla "dealership".
Maybe, as that ad says, you don't need a different insurance policy -- you need a different insurance company.

Seeing this thread pop back up on my watched/alerts reminded me about a Tesla moment I had the other day.

I was driving home from work and ended up catching a red light that takes ages to turn back over. Behind me was a work van (stereotypical white with mild damage to it in all the usual places).

As I'm rocking out to music (though not USB... FIX RANDOM :mad: ) I notice in my side rear view mirror, the driver of the work van had gotten out of his vehicle and is walking up to me. He motions to roll down the window.

He compliments the car and asks if it's mine :confused: and an abridged version of the standard questions and statements takes place. He lets me know how much he likes the car once more and returns to the van moments before the light changes.

I've had folks beside me at lights ask me to roll down the windows to talk, but this was the first time someone approached on foot (abandoning their own vehicle no less)!

Big +1 on that. Soon after I got my Model S, I was visiting some friends of my mine who are Signature Roadster owners. They told me, "You are now an ambassador for Teslas [meaning the cars], and for electric vehicles in general." I only half-believed it at the time, but now after dozens of Supercharger/parking-lot/hallway/driveway conversations, it's a mantle I wear proudly.

Bruce.

Big +1 on that. Soon after I got my Model S, I was visiting some friends of my mine who are Signature Roadster owners. They told me, "You are now an ambassador for Teslas [meaning the cars], and for electric vehicles in general." I only half-believed it at the time, but now after dozens of Supercharger/parking-lot/hallway/driveway conversations, it's a mantle I wear proudly.

Bruce.

I don't mind Tesla time at all. It's a great subject to talk about, and I know it opens a lot of eyes. :)

Reactions: Pollux and OBX John

Hi, @ELECTROMAN,

I agree that insurance is an important detail!

Alan

I am asking for input BEFORE I post... I have a bunch of nice pictures from a recent heavily Tesla-related event that I am heavily involved in and hence biased. It's a fundraiser for a nonprofit focused on carbon pricing. Tesla vehicles are a big part of it. The event was at a brewery in Somerville, MA, two weekends ago. There's even a video I can post a link to, which is something we made to be funny and fresh and is built around Tesla but its ultimate message is about carbon pricing and our nonprofit. Do these things fit enough people's definition of a "Tesla moment"? Or is it an abuse, a travesty, an infamita to post about it here?

I went scrolling back through my Photos just now, because I felt like everyone else has been having Tesla moments recently, so why not me, too? But I realized that basically I got nothing else since December, when I swapped my '13 P85+ for a '16 P100D, and I already posted that picture. Boo hoo, poor me.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. Ah, geez, forgot to mention that Tesla, Inc., is in on way affiliated with or a sponsor of this nonprofit or of the fundraiser or of me or of my dog or my cat.

I am asking for input BEFORE I post... I have a bunch of nice pictures from a recent heavily Tesla-related event that I am heavily involved in and hence biased. It's a fundraiser for a nonprofit focused on carbon pricing. Tesla vehicles are a big part of it. The event was at a brewery in Somerville, MA, two weekends ago. There's even a video I can post a link to, which is something we made to be funny and fresh and is built around Tesla but its ultimate message is about carbon pricing and our nonprofit. Do these things fit enough people's definition of a "Tesla moment"? Or is it an abuse, a travesty, an infamita to post about it here?

I went scrolling back through my Photos just now, because I felt like everyone else has been having Tesla moments recently, so why not me, too? But I realized that basically I got nothing else since December, when I swapped my '13 P85+ for a '16 P100D, and I already posted that picture. Boo hoo, poor me.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. Ah, geez, forgot to mention that Tesla, Inc., is in on way affiliated with or a sponsor of this nonprofit or of the fundraiser or of me or of my dog or my cat.

The event is certainly worthy of a post or thread, with all your pretty pictures. :) I'm not sure it belongs here in this thread, though.

I haven't been here as long as many, but I thought this thread (which like many others has taken to wandering from time to time) was supposed to be little funny anecdotes - brushes with people that weren't expecting something about the car. :)

Maybe, as that ad says, you don't need a different insurance policy -- you need a different insurance company.
I don't think it matters what insurance company you have. The insurance goes with the car not the driver. Google it.

My Tesla moment today: one of my co-workers was saying how I had done well for myself to be an owner of a Tesla. Then he's like oh well all you did was get yourself a third mortgage. I said not really, I put $2500 down and I got a $7500 tax credit and made enough on my TSLA over the last year to cover a few years of payments. Then the other co-worker says well what about charging, isn't that a hasle? No, I leave every morning with 200 miles of range for my 20 mile round trip commute. People just don't get it yet. They still think you have to replace the batteries every few years too.

Thanks,
Alan

So you haven't been using your frunk for the catbox lately? BTW, my sig picture is out current two cats (both turned 1 this month) in my frunk.

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux
I was visiting my family in Denmark during Easter and my nieces (both 9) always want a ride in the "roller coaster" car, and of course I do it because it's just as much fun for me! And this time my sister and brother-in-law is riding along as well.

One of my nieces, who is absolutely fascinated by this car, asks me very seriously "Uncle, how much does a Tesla cost?"
I tell her how much I paid for mine and she looks very thoughtful for a moment and then declares "then I'll save up that money now so I can buy one when I turn 18 and get my drivers license!"
And how can you argue against that logic, so I just tell her that I think that's a great idea.

My brother-in-law on the other hand, want to bring his own sense of humor into it and says to her "Well honey, that's a bit expensive, but maybe you can buy our old diesel when you turn 18". She thinks on this for a couple of minutes and then starts crying like crazy! It took a lot of consoling and assurances on that she didn't have to buy a fossil car if she didn't want to.

It's a nice little story, and I like how my niece seems to get the benefits of driving electric without me having to explain the details for her. It gives me great hope for future generations!

Oh, and according to my sister, her new plan is just to inherit my Model S, so she doesn't have to buy her own. She's quite the clever girl.

So you haven't been using your frunk for the catbox lately? BTW, my sig picture is out current two cats (both turned 1 this month) in my frunk.

Oh yes, I've loved your sig pic!

FYI - you had me ROTFL... yeah, no catbox frunk... and for anyone else thinking hard about cat transportation, let me point out that RWD offers a significant benefit over AWD as RWD permits a bigger frunk... hence a Boodabox bottom can fit... With my newish P100D, I think my next best choice would be to simply fill the frunk to a certain level with litter, and then just drop in a cat, close the hood so it's low but not latched, and then wait. Some people might argue that this was true abuse of the car. Or the cat. Not sure which. :) Just know for sure that I'd be wondering where things might fly to if I hit the go pedal!

Alan

• Funny
Reactions: wdolson
I was visiting my family in Denmark during Easter and my nieces (both 9) always want a ride in the "roller coaster" car, and of course I do it because it's just as much fun for me! And this time my sister and brother-in-law is riding along as well.

One of my nieces, who is absolutely fascinated by this car, asks me very seriously "Uncle, how much does a Tesla cost?"
I tell her how much I paid for mine and she looks very thoughtful for a moment and then declares "then I'll save up that money now so I can buy one when I turn 18 and get my drivers license!"
And how can you argue against that logic, so I just tell her that I think that's a great idea.

My brother-in-law on the other hand, want to bring his own sense of humor into it and says to her "Well honey, that's a bit expensive, but maybe you can buy our old diesel when you turn 18". She thinks on this for a couple of minutes and then starts crying like crazy! It took a lot of consoling and assurances on that she didn't have to buy a fossil car if she didn't want to.

It's a nice little story, and I like how my niece seems to get the benefits of driving electric without me having to explain the details for her. It gives me great hope for future generations!

Great story!

Oh, and according to my sister, her new plan is just to inherit my Model S, so she doesn't have to buy her own. She's quite the clever girl.

Clever, yes... but in my family, I'd be looking over my shoulder for the next 9 years... [shudder]

• Funny
Reactions: Veritas1980