Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just met with another Tesla owner in Georgetown. Had a nice talk with David about the model S. While we were having our coffee, a small crowd gathered around the 2 Tesla's parked side by side. Mine is the one on the right.

Teslas.jpg

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
Yesterday, I was at the mall here in Vegas, Fashion Show to be exact, and in the Valet line at Nordstrom, there were three Porsche Panamera's all with different aftermarket wheels. A man standing next to me near the Valet attendant's podium, said, "they're beautiful aren't they?" I said yes, but that Tesla (pointing to my own) is head and shoulders above them. He said he has been considering buying a Panamera and will probably get one within the next week. He also stated his fear regarding the Tesla fires. I educated him on motor vehicle fires in general and ICE vs BEV cars, and on the new titanium shield. I feel confident that he will end up purchasing a Tesla instead of that Panamera this week.

Infinitely more people have burned to death in Porsche vehicles than Tesla vehicles (ie. N / 0). I tell people that after what I've learned about car fires I am afraid to stand near an ICE for fear that it will explode in a fireball.
This is not "infinitely more". The rate ratio is arguably infinity but "infinity more people" is incorrect.

"Infinitely more" would imply that there exist at least "infinity + ~40k" ICE vehicle occupants that have been burned. I'm pretty sure that even overpopulated portions of Earth don't anything near infinity residents, much less passengers, much less cars, much less cars that have experienced cabin fires.

Sidenote: I'm pleased to see Tesla is using correct terminology here:
Supercharger | Tesla Motors
30A public charging station: 7 kW -- 10 rated mph
Tesla Supercharger: 120kW -- 170 rated mph
Tesla Superchargers represent the most advanced charging technology in the world, capable of charging Model S 16x faster than most public charging stations.
It's quite refreshing.

Nitpicker's corner re: sidenote: "capable of charging Model S" -- They really should qualify the "Model S" here. This performance bar is not obtainable for my car without a $xx,xxx battery retrofit. A retrofit that reportedly is not currently available despite owners asking explicitly for it.

Last edited:
This is not "infinitely more". The rate ratio is arguably infinity but "infinity more people" is incorrect.

"Infinitely more" would imply that there exist at least "infinity + ~40k" ICE vehicle occupants that have been burned. I'm pretty sure that even overpopulated portions of Earth don't anything near infinity residents, much less passengers, much less cars, much less cars that have experienced cabin fires.

I humbly concede to the pedantic concerns with my light-hearted hyperbole. There are precisely N more burned ICE occupants than Tesla, not infinitely.

But if you want to get mathematical with me I will happily rise to the challenge. It can be easily shown that n + 1 = n for any infinite cardinal number n. Or said another way, κ + n = max { κ, n } if at least one of κ or n is infinite. So you are incorrect in saying that "infinitely more" implies at least infinity + ~40K. It in fact implies only an infinite number of ICE vehicle occupants have been burned, which I've already acknowledged is incorrect.

Infinity + 40K = Infinity. There is no such thing as more or less infinite than infinite. Unless you want to talk about non-cardinal number systems...

• Funny
Reactions: Spacep0d
I have attended our Chattanooga Cars and Coffee a grand total of three times. At each occurrence as soon as I pulled up the crowd began migrating in my direction and by the time I got out of the car I was being peppered with questions and the obvious envy of most of the car enthusiasts in attendance. HOWEVER, this past Saturday I gladly relinquished my "most coveted car" trophy as an Aston Martin Vanquish cruised in to join the group. All I can say is...WOW! The thing I thought that was really cool is, the Vanquish owner immediately came over, sat in my car, and spent the next 20-30 minutes asking me questions about the Model S! Both of us walked away richer for the experience. He is thinking about getting a MS for a daily driver since he doesn't want to take the Vanquish back and forth to work.

Tesla organized the first ever test drive event in Tallinn, Estonia this past weekend. They brought two cars to do drives from 9-18. The moment they announced the event it was booked full within 48h 7x over :) People still showed up to just admire the cars and I organized other Model S owners (total of 5 in Estonia now, four showed up at various times). It was a total blast. There were hundreds of people who came through during the weekend and I lost my voice the first evening, had to keep asking the hotel for honey so I could soothe the vocal cords and keep going ;) The event was a huge success and I think Tesla agrees. In any case there were many many Tesla moments and most people left with a huge Tesla grin :) It's also all over the news now as Tesla also did some media test drives and they loved it. One newspaper brought a rally driver to try out the P85+ and he was totally blown away by it. No matter that it's a 2.2t car the handling is that of a far lighter car and while he himself drives four wheel drive rally cars he said the Model S felt as sturdy or even sturdier than a four wheel driver :) It was a total blast :) Though I still have to nurture my vocal cords now ;)

By geographic distance it's Stockholm, SE, but you have to cross the Baltic sea. By road it's nearly 1000 miles from Tallinn, EST to Berlin, DE.

Yes, by end of the year they are planning Helsinki, which is ~50 miles, but over sea and then in 2015 they are actually looking at a service center in Tallinn :) And I sure hope it does happen. The amount of cars that have been ordered did jump after the test drive event at least from my laymans observation of people asking me about order process and post-order questions :)

I, too, get many questions from strangers about my Model S. I live in a rural community, and not only is mine the only Model S, and the only EV, when I went to get my "Alternative Fuel" license tag, it was the first one in the county!

But, here's my story:

I get my ICE cars (F150, Honda minivan) oil changes at one of those Havoline Oil quick lube places. So, for grins, I pull in with my Model S. The girl comes to the window, and says, "Ok, pull in to this bay over here", and points to an open bay.

I asked, "You do oil changes for all makes and models?"

"Yes, sir, we do".

"Really? I think we ought to check first. This is a new car for me."

She says, "Well, go ahead and pop the hood".

"Ok". So I did. You know what's next:

"Where's the engine?" The other attendant comes over. She says (it was two girls), "Oh, that's a Jaguar! Their engines are in the rear, silly!"

So, I pop the trunk.

"Uh, so where's the engine?", askes girl1. Girl2 says, "I think we need to get the boss!" and goes to get the owner.

Owner/manger comes out, and is saying, "Whadda mean you can't find the engine? That's a Jaguar, they're just like any other...", and stops short. He sees the frunk lid up, and there's no engine. Quick glance to the rear where I'm standing holding the little cover over theopen footwell, doing my best to look perplexed...

And then he gets it and breaks into a huge guffaw! "Girls, that's a Tesla! There is no engine!"

And we proceed to have Tesla Time for a half hour! And he thought my little joke on his staff was great fun!

I wish I had an accomplice and filmed it!

I was driving to go park on the street somewhere when I noticed a car behind me that appeared to be taking all the turns I was taking. Not being paranoid (or, is that I'm not paranoid enough? I worry about that), I found a parking space and pulled in, got out, started towards the meter, noticed the other car had also parked. Well, lots of shops around, who knows. Then I hear behind me "Excuse me". Turns out the fellow is a doctor from Calgary, HIGHLY into solar, wants to outfit his house, has read about Teslas but never seen them in the wild, and had a million questions. I ended up giving him the grand tour; had to interrupt the barrage of questions to fill the meter in case a gendarme came along. While we were sitting in the car my wife phoned (wondering where I was) and he got to see how seamless the phone use is. I gave him the Vancouver store manager's business card, since I seem to have a supply of them for some reason :). He must have shaken my hand 5 times at the end; he was very happy.