Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope this is not off topic, kind of an anti-Tesla moment. I had to rent a Ford Explorer for a week and the 3rd evening having it we went out to dinner. Returning to the car, I found that I had never pushed the off button and it had been running the whole time. :( One dinner and my 11 months of Zero Emissions, turned into a gas wasting, idling nightmare! The car sure was warm, but so were my red cheeks, from embarrassment and fuel wasting guilt! I returned the Ford and am back to my wonderful Tesla Model S that needs no shut off button! Guilt free transportation is one huge reason to buy this car! :)

I've never left our ICE minivan with the engine running since there are other things on the key ring that mandate removal of the key and shutting off the engine. However, I have walked away from the minivan without locking it more than a few times and on at least a couple of occasions, have tried to put the minivan into gear by flipping the windshield wiper stalk (the shift lever is on the dash).

Had a man pull up next to me and shout at me "That's one of them electronic cars!" He was so excited to see it.

Had another man follow me into the Lowes parking lot and park face-to-face with me. He got out and shouted, "That's a Tesla!"

Yes, I live in Chesterfield County VA.

Sort of a reverse Tesla moment.

While walking out of the West Palm Beach dealer after finalizing our build a couple walks out behind us and steps to a P85. Of course, I ask them how they like it. And of course, he loved it. As the wife with the lap dog sits in the back seat (that seemed odd) he goes on about how fast it is and how much fun it is to drive. So he hops into his P85 and I hop in my '14 Supercharged Range Rover Sport. We leave dealer and after a few lights end up side by side. He gives me the nod like "it's go time". With my 510hp I hoped I was going to be close to the P85 so I figured what the heck. I lower the suspension and turn the dial to "sport" mode. Light goes green and it's on. The run to the next light wasn't long so it was about a zero to 50mph drag race. He gapped me about a qtr panel off the light but I held strong to 50mph and then lifted as the next intersection was approaching. Mr. P85, with his wife in the back seat with a lap dog, never lifted and just blew through the light like a maniac (at least it was green). I just shook my head at the whole scene.

I realize none of this is responsible behavior but boys will be boys. Anyway, I ordered a 85 for my wife but if it was for me a P85D would be on the way. Although, the 85 demo we had was a blast even with the governor on.

My Model S is on its way across the pacific as I write this but the wall charger was installed in my garage a few months ago.
My old car must have heard me talking about the imminent arrival of the new Tesla so this morning it refused to start. The problem, a dead battery, oh the irony!
So I call the local motoring organisation and I can buy a new battery and have it delivered which I opt for as the dead one is 5 years old.
20 minutes later the battery guys arrive, an older guy obviously showing the new kid the ropes. So as the car is dead we have to push it out of the garage to get to where the battery is. The kid runs to the back of the garage where the Tesla wall charger is located and rushes straight out and nearly shouts "Wow have you got a Tesla!" Much to the annoyance of the old guy who was expecting him to do most of the pushing. I tell him we hope to have it by Xmas, "it's not a Model S!" He continues excitedly, yes I reply then we discuss pricing and yes it's an 85Kwh but no it's not a Performance and no it's not dual motor but still his excitement is infectious and the old guy gives him a minute to enjoy the moment but I can see to him time is money and motion to the dead car, " I'll help push it out" which brings him back from the clouds.
They then replace the battery and I put the car away whilst they go to their van to organise the paperwork.
I meet them outside to pay and I ask innocently, "so will I call on you if I have problems with my Tesla battery?" The look on his face was was priceless and I think I nearly got a grin from the older guy at that point. The old guy asked him to do the payment process but it's obvious after a few moments that young guy is still too distracted for any meaningful learning to take place so the old guy takes over and complete the sale.
They drive away with the young guy leaning out the window, waving and asking if I will take him for a ride one day?
No idea if it will ever happen but I think I made the guys day. All that and I haven't even got my Model S yet.

Good one!

I have had several moments over the last 7 months... and they never get old.

However, yesterday, I had one I want to share.

I cross a busy intersection in Wake Forest, NC, and see a large passenger bus (like a party bus limo, etc - would hold 20ppl max) sitting at the intersection waiting to turn right.

I drive by, in front of it, as I have the green light. The bus driver is watching me so intently as I roll by him and through the intersection.

He makes the turn behind me.. and is now following me.

We approach the next light, and he changes lanes, pulls to my left, and starts talking, all animated, through his bus doors (which are closed) and I cannot hear him at all.

So, I roll my window down, he has to put his bus in park to open his doors, then the opens then and says "OMG! That is the most beautiful car I have ever seen! I wasn't sure what it was"

I said 'Thank you" and told him it was a Tesla and then the light changes to green and we have to move along.

I could tell that man was so excited.

He was prob late 50's to early 60's and was just like a kid.... Big-eyed and happy... and wow'd at the beauty of these cars.

It was a good day!

I've had a number of "Tesla Moment" in the past year: I've look in my rear view mirror and seen other drivers photographing me (or at least my car) with their cell phones, I've had drivers roll down their windows and ask about the car while we were stopped in traffic and I've even had one minibus driver open the passenger door to ask me why my car, unlike all the others on that cold morning, wasn't emitting clouds of steam from my non-existent tailpipe. His powers of observation and logic made that a very special encounter.

I've even been asked if my car were a Fisker, but the speaker quickly corrected himself. In Fisker's case, even bad publicity was still publicity.

I've never been challenged in a race, but once a Civic full of young men pulled up along side me on the turnpike (I was in the right lane) and gestured that they'd like to see how my "slow" S85 performs. There was too much traffic for any kind of race, but my lane was empty for a quarter mile or so ahead of me, and there was plenty of visibility to confirm the absence of troopers, and so I floored it for a few seconds to let them watch me pull away. I then slowed back to the speed limit and they soon caught up with me, gave me a thumbs up, and drove off.

Oh, and my aero wheels have gotten very mixed reviews. Usually, they're said to be "interesting" or some other polite term, but some people have responded very positively to their unique appearance, either for their design, or for their perceived efficiency.

Tesla certainly is a dealer in states which require a dealer license (e.g. Florida). What they don't have is independent dealers.

They have a DMV license to operate. I realize I'm splitting hairs, and I don't mean to come off as a jerk or term policeman. I do think in this case it's beneficial to use specific language since tesla is at war with the dealer associations. One of their arguments is that consumers will not be able to distinguish between a dealer and a company owned store.

Personally I think it's easy to tell. Are you getting screwed? It's a dealer. :)

They have a DMV license to operate. I realize I'm splitting hairs, and I don't mean to come off as a jerk or term policeman. I do think in this case it's beneficial to use specific language since tesla is at war with the dealer associations. One of their arguments is that consumers will not be able to distinguish between a dealer and a company owned store.

Personally I think it's easy to tell. Are you getting screwed? It's a dealer. :)
Agree, a company store is not a "dealer" in any normal sense of the term, even if that is the legal term in some states based on licensing to sell cars. Would anyone call an Apple Store an Apple dealer? Or a Starbucks location a Starbucks dealer? Of course not. People are in the habit of calling where they buy a car a "dealer" because that was the only business model for so many years. We should encourage breaking that habit to emphasize that Tesla sells directly, not through what people are used to as "dealers".

While plugging in at the Sundsvall SC I see someone being photgraphed in front of my car. I thought it was just someone who thought it would be cool to have a photo of himself and a Tesla. Turns out I was the first one to use it, and the local newspaper was doing a story about the new chargers, and by chance I showed up while they were interviewing the manager of the gas station where the SC is located. And it made the news http://www.st.nu/ekonomi/tesla-stationer-i-skonsberg (paywalled and in Swedish, but the image is there)

Agree, a company store is not a "dealer" in any normal sense of the term, even if that is the legal term in some states based on licensing to sell cars. Would anyone call an Apple Store an Apple dealer? Or a Starbucks location a Starbucks dealer? Of course not. People are in the habit of calling where they buy a car a "dealer" because that was the only business model for so many years. We should encourage breaking that habit to emphasize that Tesla sells directly, not through what people are used to as "dealers".

The flipside of course is that people are creatures of habit. Going with an all electric plug in vehicle is probably already stepping out of their comfort zone. Trying to explain to them they don't have a "dealer" to go to but instead a company owned store that we don't call a dealer and that there are states that ban their sales altogether could be a turn off in itself. You know what they say, keep it simple .....

If it works for you, then by all means carry on.

I haven't found the term "dealership" to be a consequential matter when discussing the benefits of the car, or how to buy one. But, we all have to articulate the Tesla value proposition in the way that best suits us personally.

If it works for you, then by all means carry on.

I haven't found the term "dealership" to be a consequential matter when discussing the benefits of the car, or how to buy one. But, we all have to articulate the Tesla value proposition in the way that best suits us personally.
On the contrary, I've found the fact that Tesla doesn't sell through dealers is one of the things that people are most excited about when I tell them about the car, almost as much as you can drive between cities in an all electric car. Buying a car without going through the Texas auto dealers cartel really resonates with people, even those who aren't into electric cars.

On the contrary, I've found the fact that Tesla doesn't sell through dealers is one of the things that people are most excited about when I tell them about the car, almost as much as you can drive between cities in an all electric car. Buying a car without going through the Texas auto dealers cartel really resonates with people, even those who aren't into electric cars.

Very good. I have not experienced that.