Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motor Transplant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI,
I have a large drive unit from a model S p85. I'd like to put it in an old Jag, a 1969 xj6.
I am having some trouble getting it going and would appreciate some advice or point me in the direction of someone who can help, would be happy to pay for some support.
I have an Advantics VCU, a control board sold to control the motor without the rest of the car. I have the motor and the original tesla battery pack (85kw).
I'd like some help to understand how the motor works.
What should happen is the VCU connects via CAN to the motor. and the batteries in the usual way via three contactors, one negative, one precharge (with 300ohm resistor) and one positive. The negative and precharge contactors close, voltage rises at the motor, magic happens then the VCU should close the positive contactor and open the precharge contactor and away you go. UNfortunately the contactors are opening are opening withing 1 second. The motor appears to be measuring the voltage correctly, i can read the CAN messages and see it outputs the correct voltage.
I'd like to understand what magic happens at the motor and how i might diagnose any error messages at the motor that could be causing problems?
Thanks

HI,
I have a large drive unit from a model S p85. I'd like to put it in an old Jag, a 1969 xj6.
I am having some trouble getting it going and would appreciate some advice or point me in the direction of someone who can help, would be happy to pay for some support.
I have an Advantics VCU, a control board sold to control the motor without the rest of the car. I have the motor and the original tesla battery pack (85kw).
I'd like some help to understand how the motor works.
What should happen is the VCU connects via CAN to the motor. and the batteries in the usual way via three contactors, one negative, one precharge (with 300ohm resistor) and one positive. The negative and precharge contactors close, voltage rises at the motor, magic happens then the VCU should close the positive contactor and open the precharge contactor and away you go. UNfortunately the contactors are opening are opening withing 1 second. The motor appears to be measuring the voltage correctly, i can read the CAN messages and see it outputs the correct voltage.
I'd like to understand what magic happens at the motor and how i might diagnose any error messages at the motor that could be causing problems?
Thanks
Hi Itchyback, did you ever solve the VCU2 mystery? We are experiencing similar difficulties with our Advantics unit. Please reply