Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors - The Early Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Delaware is very friendly to outside companies incorporating there. Microsoft is a Delaware company, even though they were founded and are still headquartered in Redmond, WA. Perhaps there is some logic to Tesla Motors - considered the software company of automakers - being incorporated in the same state as Microsoft and others.

Most companies, particularly big ones (public or intending to go public), incorporate in Delaware. The law is very favorable in Delaware, and because of its historial role as the place to incorporate, very well developed in the areas important to companies. Among other things, Delaware law provides tremendous leeway to management and the Board of Directors in terms of the "business judgment rule", which essentially allows the individuals who make decisions for the company to avoid having claims brought against them by shareholders if those decisions turn out to be poor ones. There were other benefits historically to incorporating in Delaware (taxes and such), but that is now one of the main reason companies continue to incorporate there even if they have no other relationship to the state.

Among other things, Delaware law provides tremendous leeway to management and the Board of Directors in terms of the "business judgment rule", which essentially allows the individuals who make decisions for the company to avoid having claims brought against them by shareholders if those decisions turn out to be poor ones.

The Delaware courts have had particularly "generous" interpretations of this rule, too, deciding that management self-dealing which doesn't pass the smell test is within the parameters of "business judgment". Stuff which German corporations would never get away with.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
This thread reminds me of the old saying "Different horses for different courses". It happens often that those with the ideas are not those that fulfill the potential of the idea. It seems from this thread that EM has a track record of inserting himself in an idea and fulfilling its potential (based on comments about PayPal and TM). Does this theory apply to SpaceX as well?

I read that Elon now refers to them as "two guys I hired to build a prototype".

Has he actually said anything along those lines? He rarely speaks about Tesla being a company before he came along, but i do remember an interview where he tells the story of when he wanted to bring the AC propulsion vehicle to market, that he was refered to those guys who had started Tesla and contacted them. Though I don't remember which interview that was and i cant confirm i remember it correctly:)

- - - Updated - - -

Here he quite clearly states his version of the history. He mentions the other guys but not that the name Tesla actually existed or that they already had a concept car and cooperation with Lotus or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting that story. Seems mostly in line with what I know, but had a couple of thoughts:

#1: I thought JB had some involvement in the early Martin/Elon/ACP meet-up dealings, but that wasn't mentioned.
#2: It leaves off the story of other early contributors.
#3: Comparing Ian to Gandalf and Dundee seems like a peculiar stretch.
#4: Comparing Roadster design to LEAF wasn't relevant as LEAF came much later (and isn't really a sports car.)
#5: I had heard Lotus was (in effect) the only ones that would really talk to them, not necessarily the first choice of who to use as a partner.

Great (long) article!
I particularly liked the early insight they had about the auto industry which is that the industry has outsourced everything except ICE engines, assembly and marketing so it was possible to buy all of the parts to make a car without having to design and build themselves.
This also leaves the ICE car companies at a disadvantage when it comes to electric. If they only core expertise you have in-house is ICE engines, you are screwed when it comes to electric cars.