Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now can put your local sim card in the car prior to delivery for exports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm from Turkey and we have immense demand for the Model S here because of tax advantages. There already are 30+ (might be 50+ for all I know) active Model S users in the country and back in the day we had 2 Roadsters. Yet, Tesla still isn't selling actively in Turkey. People here are importing from the European HQ, Netherlands on their own expense and drive it here. Until today all people did for connectivity was 3G USB dongles or tethering smartphone with car's wifi.

However just last week Tesla added a disclaimer to the bottom of the Model S Design Studio under "Other Europe" section titled; "For Iceland, Turkey and Russia Orders". Towards the end of that large disclaimer goes;

"Tesla does not provide support for modifying vehicles, existing installations, or other property to meet different specifications, other than the installation of a data SIM CARD for vehicle data connectivity. Such no-Tesla sim cards must be provided by the customer prior to delivery of the new vehicle and a non-Tesla SIM card waiver must be signed by the customer."

I e-mailed Tesla requesting further details. They replied.

• Card's form factor should be 2FF. (oldest sim I remember putting in my phones back in the day)
  • No PIN code should be setup for the installation.
  • The APN the SIM cards account must be provided, this is used to set up the data connection.
  • It may not be possible to check cell connectivity unless the provided SIM card is enabled to roam in the country you are in.

This is good news. I wish their Tesla sim cards supported connectivity in our countries or they actively sold in Turkey but this will do too for now.

Just wanted to share.