Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now keeps all the SRECs [SREC = Solar Renewable Energy Credits]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then whatever mod put your message in this thread was wrong to do it, as this thread was about NJ SRECs specifically.

I’m not sure how the PA system works. I would encourage you to do the research yourself because I don’t think Tesla would be lowballing you that much if you’re saying the “crossover” point is less than three years.

No, its not. The title of the thread is "Tesla now keeps all the SRECs" and it is not specific to a state.

I can confirm that Tesla is definitely keeping all SRECs now. I just got my new redesign and pricing. I spoke to my advisor who is a director and he said there is no way to opt out of this. Keeping the SRECs is how tesla can offer a total quote price cheaper than anyone else. He said that if you want to keep the SRECs you'd have to go with a competitor. Which also means no powerwalls as they are no longer selling them separately from their own solar installations.

Then whatever mod put your message in this thread was wrong to do it, as this thread was about NJ SRECs specifically.

I’m not sure how the PA system works. I would encourage you to do the research yourself because I don’t think Tesla would be lowballing you that much if you’re saying the “crossover” point is less than three years.
I wonder if someone changed the title of the thread? Here's what it says now:

"Tesla now keeps all the SRECs [SREC = Solar Renewable Energy Credits]"​

I wonder if someone changed the title of the thread? Here's what it says now:

"Tesla now keeps all the SRECs [SREC = Solar Renewable Energy Credits]"​

It said that when I moved your post to it. I am fairly sure the thread has been titled that from not that long after it was created.

Which also means no powerwalls as they are no longer selling them separately from their own solar installations.

You can definitely buy powerwall only from third party installers, its just going to be expensive.

Reactions: TesslaBull
It's possible they may start selling Powerwalls by themselves again. Last September Elon said it depended on the supply:

Yeah, for sure. I bought my powerwalls directly from tesla, ordered august 2019, installed early 2020, powerwalls only, added to existing solar. They definitely might do it again. In the short term, as long as the demand is there, they dont have to.

Reactions: willow_hiller
If you live in PA and have PECO as your supplier, Tesla cant take your SREC without first telling you the value of what you are giving up. Here is a line from their net metering rules-
"The Company shall, prior to taking title to any alternative energy credits, fully inform the customer-generator of the potential value of those credits and options available to the customer-generator for their disposition."
I just had a system installed with Tesla and found out what I lost. I filed a complaint with the FTC and the PA state attorney General. Very easy to do online. If we all do it maybe something will change

Looks like Tesla added an SREC exhibit to my contract somewhere after I submitted online the original purchase agreement without properly disclosing that they made changes to the original purchase agreement and what the changes entailed. Tesla is now claiming they own my SRECs.

How do I go about getting my SRECs back? I have contacted Tesla by email, but they are playing hardball and although I requested to escalate the matter to their legal department, they will not do it.

Anyone been in this situation? I would like to void the SREC part of the purchase agreement as it was snug in there without my knowledge and without proper disclosure.
I filed a complaint with the FTC and State Attorney General. I figured let them investigate and judge if the amount is fair. It is very easy to do online. If they get enough complaints maybe something will happen

I'm not sure how concerned I am about the SREC's. Tesla is $6-$9k cheaper than the next lowest bid I've gotten. AFAIK, SREC's will decline in value as more and more people install solar. With the renewal of the federal tax rebate and the increase to 30%(which should drive solar installs), I'm not sure the value of future SREC's will make up for $6-$9k of present value. Having that money free to invest in the market is likely to outpace the SREC's that I may or may not get in the future.

Reactions: TProfit
I'm in a similar position where I purchased a system out of a PPA and am having trouble obtaining the SRECs as part of the purchase which was several years ago, I didn't receive any notice or documents that it was not part of the sale of the System as the SRECs are associated with the active generation. Any experience with this?