Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Model 3/Y Frunk Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same, about 2 hours.
The hardest part was removing and replacing the struts - the location is tight. I started late at night and ran into Hood Latch Sensor warning so It spilled into next morning to troubleshoot.
One thing I did different. I removed the top strut first, then used a 13mm wrench to loosen lower strut mount and unscrewed with my fingers vs trying to get a tool in and remove the lower strut first.

Reactions: TheNeck and DaveORD
About 2 hrs with taking extra time to trouble shoot minor issues.

what kind of minor issues? so i can keep an eye out for these as well.

Same, about 2 hours.
The hardest part was removing and replacing the struts - the location is tight. I started late at night and ran into Hood Latch Sensor warning so It spilled into next morning to troubleshoot.

what ended up being the problem with the hood latch sensor warning?

I plugged the brown plug in and unplugged to move the motor and it wouldn’t go back in. The purple plastic inside the plug shifted, so had to fix that and one of my strut connector pins bent when initially plugged in.

Guys. In the middle of my install on my model s. (3.0 version/latest for the s) but I think my questions will apply here.

Two issues: I initialized and got the beep. I also tested by manually closing the latch (with hood open) and activating the emergency Frunk button. Latch releases successfully. However

I can’t get hood to close. Only moves down about 1/2 inch then stops when I activate the frunk button on the fob. Also, pulling on the emergency manual wire doesn’t appear to do anything? It moves a tiny bit outward from the motor when I pull it, but if I manually latch the latch, pulling the manual wire doesn’t release the latch like I assumed it would.

Amy thoughts?

Just a suggestion, mark where your trunk latch is so you don’t have to mess with realigning it. Just take a marker or pen and mark the edges. I have been messing with mine for 30 min trying f to get it back to what factory was. Just wish I could fix my hood that Tesla has not been able to fix. Sits high in one spot.

Attachments

• 800E7DB3-C981-40AF-ACAA-A096E3449AB9.jpeg
    800E7DB3-C981-40AF-ACAA-A096E3449AB9.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 81

No definitive cause was found.

The last thing I did, giving up after checking all connections/latch mechanism etc, was made sure the metal contactors (microswitches) were good and not damaged - plus the TO system was disconnected from power and the car went on deep sleep overnight.

I reconnected and checked the microswitches in the morning, function check was good, and the Hood Latch warning never returned since.:rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: TheNeck
Guys. In the middle of my install on my model s. (3.0 version/latest for the s) but I think my questions will apply here.

Two issues: I initialized and got the beep. I also tested by manually closing the latch (with hood open) and activating the emergency Frunk button. Latch releases successfully. However

I can’t get hood to close. Only moves down about 1/2 inch then stops when I activate the frunk button on the fob. Also, pulling on the emergency manual wire doesn’t appear to do anything? It moves a tiny bit outward from the motor when I pull it, but if I manually latch the latch, pulling the manual wire doesn’t release the latch like I assumed it would.

Amy thoughts?

First, check for obstruction or anything that hampers hood/strut movement. You should be able to move the hood freely, up or down. J from earlier post found bent connector pin on one of the struts, check connections.

First, check for obstruction or anything that hampers hood/strut movement. You should be able to move the hood freely, up or down. J from earlier post found bent connector pin on one of the struts, check connections.
Thanks. No obstructions for sure. Will go and closely examine pins now.

How about the manual release cable? Is that supposed to do..something when I pull it? It pulls maybe...2mm at most. And I hear something inside of the motor housing ever so faintly moving or reacting to my pull. But no cable movement at all from the cable itself and the latch (after manually latching) doesnt move/unlatch when I pull the manual cable.

Is this normal?