Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offering me early lease return if lease a new car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 15' P90DL. It is the my favorite car I have ever had. It has every available option for that time as I recall. Lease is up in Feb 2019. They reached out and said I can trade in before the end of Sept only. The appeal is to take advantage of free supercharging which expires 9/16 and also to take advantage of the $7500 that will reduce down to $3750 after the end of 2018. So if I wait till Feb or later I will lose the $3750 fed credit, and free supercharging. I only use supercharging when going out of town. I also have 3 other cars a new Raptor, Mclaren, and my wife Model X P90DL. So not a real rush to do now. They let me have a P100D for a few days test drive and I really loved it. Question is, do I wait for the hope of some upgrades to the MS. Like bigger battery, newer interior upgrades, etc.??? I know this is discussed a lot on here, but no one really knows. The idea of getting a car with these improvements is more important than taking advantage of the fed credit or free supercharging. I am willing to wait a little bit but not a lot...

Thanks,

What is your plan when your lease is up in February? If you decide you want to lease another Tesla then moving up now might be something to consider. Keep in mind Tesla leases are generally horrible deals, as they have low residual values (number Tesla sets as what they think it will be worth at the end of lease term), high MF (APR), and use the federal credit to inflate the residual value so you don't actually see most of it. Only times they would make sense is if you get one of the discounted inventory models, doing a quick search there are some new P100D demo cars right now listed on ev-cpo selling for $127K and have a 21k discount from MSRP so they might lease ok. If you want your own particular build then it might make sense to just buy the car and get the full tax credit and even if you decide to sell it after a few short years you might end up coming ahead of the lease.

What is your plan when your lease is up in February? If you decide you want to lease another Tesla then moving up now might be something to consider. Keep in mind Tesla leases are generally horrible deals, as they have low residual values (number Tesla sets as what they think it will be worth at the end of lease term), high MF (APR), and use the federal credit to inflate the residual value so you don't actually see most of it. Only times they would make sense is if you get one of the discounted inventory models, doing a quick search there are some new P100D demo cars right now listed on ev-cpo selling for $127K and have a 21k discount from MSRP so they might lease ok. If you want your own particular build then it might make sense to just buy the car and get the full tax credit and even if you decide to sell it after a few short years you might end up coming ahead of the lease.

I am really only looking at demo cars with discounts, there are some good deals out there. And I lease cuz I write off on my businesses.

To answer other peoples questions. My plan was to get another MS in Feb when my lease is up, or wait a few months if I knew an upgrade was in the works. It makes me suspicious how pushy Tesla is being about me doing the deal before the end of Sept. They have never been pushy before with my other two cars from them. If a big upgrade wasn't coming for a year or more, than I don't want to wait. If its sooner than a year, than I will be pissed that I didn't wait. What to do???

I am really only looking at demo cars with discounts, there are some good deals out there. And I lease cuz I write off on my businesses.

To answer other peoples questions. My plan was to get another MS in Feb when my lease is up, or wait a few months if I knew an upgrade was in the works. It makes me suspicious how pushy Tesla is being about me doing the deal before the end of Sept. They have never been pushy before with my other two cars from them. If a big upgrade wasn't coming for a year or more, than I don't want to wait. If its sooner than a year, than I will be pissed that I didn't wait. What to do???

I think the pushiness is pure and simple profit quest and hitting quarterly production numbers. Tesla is hellbent on proving they can be profitable this year and if they can move a few more cars by the end of the quarter by eating a few early lease returns then that’s all good by them.

Personally I don’t think we’re going to see any significant MS refresh any time soon. Certainly not within “a few months” of a February lease return date. Deep into 2019 seems optimistic. 2020 seems more likely.

Reactions: zzzspeed and PJFW8
Awesome garage you have!
Any pics of the McLaren or Raptor?

I'm kind of in the same boat with the lease. But now there's other options like the Jag SUV and MB just announced an SUV. Both will have interiors I'd prefer over the S, who's interior I really can't stand.

And the link above isn't working for me.