Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Official Statement on Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I don't get. Tesla now builds crazy faster V3 Superchargers. Isn't that supposedly bad for the life of the battery??? Then why are you building them then? I get the eliminating lines part, then find more places to have them that help businesses and plazas etc...

If I remember the center screen correctly, when charging isn't there an option to limit the incoming kilowatts when charging? Why not set it to whatever makes you comfortable?

I bought my Tesla used 2019 with 3400 miles model 3 dual motor. I have never fully charged the battery, till the other day and it went to 296 miles. Far less than the 307 or 322 or what ever figure tesla cares to use. Their figures appear to be just like the EPA rating on the window stickers of other cars BOGUS. I have read that charging to 90 percent more often over time will help batteries to reach full range. Will see

I have one month old Tesla model 3 LR. With the fully charged battery it goes only 200 miles instead of 322 miles that was promised. The weather is not too cold now, around 40 - 50, I do not use seat warmers and keep the temperature at 70. Any reasonable explanation to such a short range?

I have one month old Tesla model 3 LR. With the fully charged battery it goes only 200 miles instead of 322 miles that was promised. The weather is not too cold now, around 40 - 50, I do not use seat warmers and keep the temperature at 70. Any reasonable explanation to such a short range?

yes, you are almost assuredly not going 200 miles at a single charge, you are most likely driving several days and adding up the range. "40-50" is cold, and the battery has to warm up every time you start, whether you think its cold or not, for the battery thats cold.

"keeping at 70" when its 40-50 out means that your heater is on, which burns quite a bit of extra power. Using the seat warmers is more efficient than the heater, and "keeping the car at 70" is definitely using the heater when its 50 degrees outside.

Nothing wrong with your car at all.

I bought my Tesla used 2019 with 3400 miles model 3 dual motor. I have never fully charged the battery, till the other day and it went to 296 miles. Far less than the 307 or 322 or what ever figure tesla cares to use. Their figures appear to be just like the EPA rating on the window stickers of other cars BOGUS. I have read that charging to 90 percent more often over time will help batteries to reach full range. Will see

What's the weather where you live? I can make only 200 miles on the fully charged battery and I am told that it's caused by a cold weather (around 40-50F in Virginia)

Well, service center people should know better. That's what they're paid for.

What shocking is how ignorant some of the service people really are. For example, when I called up to have the declining range in my wife's model 3 looked at I was told that the estimated range displayed on the battery gauge/app is impacted if your average watt-hours per mile number drops below the canonical 245 number. Of course this is total horse----. This declining estimated range is of course true in the energy app particularly if you're looking at estimated range during a period of high consumption. That estimate in the energy app is uncannily accurate in our experience. Much more accurate than some of the disinformation coming out of Tesla Service Centers unfortunately.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Range, as u can see mine has gone from 245 to 211. Yes I have an antique, it's a 2012 battery pack. They have also stopped or throttled me back to max 60kw start charge rate.
Range is dependent on so many variables I will not go there. But a ballpark figure is nice. I have been in over 25 states, in a lot of different types of driving. The EPA rating is a WAG, no one drives by their test standard. We all live in different environments and drive differently.
My car is 7 yrs old, u can see my range now. My battery degradation is on chart, u can see that v10 killed my battery.

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_191213916.jpg
    IMG_20200213_191213916.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
These are good tips to maximize range. That said - for the most part, it doesn’t matter as long as you follow the ABCs of Tesla ownership ... Always Be Charging. The best thing I’ve found is to set my charging percentage to 90%, and always plug in when at home. It’s pretty much that simple.

I do my best to avoid situations where I’m down to my last 20-30 miles of range anyway, but that said ... following the 90% ABC rule, I’ve got 10,200 miles on the car, it’s wintertime, and a 90% charge puts me at 277 miles. Well within the margin of error for a brand new battery, let alone one with 10k miles on it.

I find micro-managing charging situations by making oneself uncomfortable (I’ve actually read folks suggest using a blanket instead of the heater!) or by spending tons of time and worry adjusting rates and times and percentages to be counterproductive ... just set it, forget it, and drive the thing.
How much do you discharge approximately before your back on the charger for the night?

Keep in mind SOC displayed by the battery symbol is just a % multiplied by a constant.. It is not affected by anything other than % of battery charge and Tesla coded constant.. With every update this seems to fluctuate about 10%. Tesla is changing this back and forth for reasons unknown.

yes, you are almost assuredly not going 200 miles at a single charge, you are most likely driving several days and adding up the range. "40-50" is cold, and the battery has to warm up every time you start, whether you think its cold or not, for the battery thats cold.

"keeping at 70" when its 40-50 out means that your heater is on, which burns quite a bit of extra power. Using the seat warmers is more efficient than the heater, and "keeping the car at 70" is definitely using the heater when its 50 degrees outside.

Nothing wrong with your car at all.
It's so hilarious that we spend over $50K for a premium car and some people bring blankets in the car to warm up instead of using the heat. How the hell can the most diehard fanboy defend that? Bad enough we don't have real leather or any luxury/premium interior. Now im expected to sacrifice my comfort just to save on mileage.....Am I missing something?

It's so hilarious that we spend over $50K for a premium car and some people bring blankets in the car to warm up instead of using the heat. How the hell can the most diehard fanboy defend that? Bad enough we don't have real leather or any luxury/premium interior. Now im expected to sacrifice my comfort just to save on mileage.....Am I missing something?

No need for that silliness.
My wife, who loves what I call “melt your face” heat, says the Model 3 is - by far - the most comfortable vehicle she’s ever driven. Prewarming the cabin in a few short minutes, everything is warm and comfy. Unlike ANY gas car we’ve ever had, the Model 3’s heat is so efficient, nothing is cold-soaked when she gets in.

Blankets and forgoing heat is very, very silly. Comfort matters.

• Helpful
I have blanket, pillow for sleeping while charging. :). Never turn on AC/heat. while charging, it slows your super charging way down. They both are run off high voltage pack. So, need blanket in winter.

I rest my case, wouldn't a simple heat pump fix this? By the way, I have to ask. Would Tesla really lose that many customers if they focused on comfort and luxury instead of always trying to be the fastest and longest range? One car can't be everything at once. Please chose a segment and be the best at it. Let the race car companies build race cars. And instead of fart noises a serious adult would never useow about cooled seats for model 3and S? Instead of $2K charger an extra .5 seconds off power on a car that's already miles above its competitors, how about giving leases a price for FSD after delivery date. Instead of unearthing archaic games that very few people will play, how about making autopilot whole again the way it use to be before it was gutted to differentiate from FSD in order to avoid lawsuits.

Tesla has put out a support statement on range, and it was highlighted in the tesla app this morning (with a link in the messages).

Since many new owners go to the internet and come to sites like this one to find out about range, and if there is something "wrong" with their car because they are not getting the 250/260/310/322 miles promised, I thought it would be a good thing to have tesla's official statements here. You can currently find this information at the following site: Range

Since sometimes people dont like to click links, I have copy pasted the contents of the above link below:

===========================================

Range

Tesla cars travel farther on a single charge than any other production electric vehicle on the market. You can view the range of your car on your touchscreen or in the Tesla app. Your Tesla continuously monitors its energy level and proximity to known charging locations to provide range assurance.

The estimated range depends heavily on factors such as driving habits, elevation changes and weather conditions. To maximize efficiency, it is important to know the factors that impact range and the recommended ways to reduce energy consumption.

What Impacts Energy Consumption?
Like all cars, there are a number of factors that increase energy consumption and reduce range:

• High driving speeds
  • High cabin air conditioning or heating usage
  • Low ambient temperatures
  • Inclement weather such as rain, snow and headwinds
  • Stop-and-go driving
  • Short trips
  • Uphill travel
Driving while your battery is very cold or charged above 90% can also impact range due to limited regenerative braking. This reduces the amount of energy that can be transferred back into your battery.

To see real-time and projected energy use, open the Energy app on your touchscreen. The Energy app provides feedback on how your driving habits are impacting the expected range of your vehicle and tracks your usage.

Recommendations to Maximize Range
To maximize the range of your Tesla:

• Maintain your vehicle's tire pressures. Inflation recommendations are listed inside the drivers-side door jamb.
  • Remove unnecessary cargo to lighten your load – more weight requires more energy to move the vehicle.
  • Remove roof racks or rear racks when they are not in use.
  • Reduce aerodynamic drag. Fully raise all windows and change air suspension (if equipped) to “Low” or “Very Low” when driving at highway speeds, For Model 3 cars with aero wheels, install aero wheel covers.
  • Avoid frequent and rapid acceleration. Driving at high speeds or rapidly accelerating uses additional energy.
  • Limit the use of resources such as heating, signature lighting and air conditioning.
  • Set your Regenerative Braking to “Standard” to maximize energy you get back while decelerating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?

The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for range to decrease slightly over the first few months but then begin to level off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge depending on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you if a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Why does estimated range decrease overnight while my car is off?
It is expected for a Tesla car to consume around 1% of charge per day while parked. In some cases, you may notice that consumption is higher. We recommend deactivating features such as preconditioning, Sentry Mode, Keep Climate On, and any aftermarket equipment when not needed.

Note: Aftermarket equipment connected to the 12V system and/or third party mobile applications which collect data about your vehicle can decrease range while parked and reduce the battery lifespan. Tesla does not recommend using aftermarket equipment, and any damage to your vehicle's hardware or software resulting from unauthorized access to vehicle data through non-Tesla parts or accessories is not covered by warranty.

What is Range Mode?
In Model S and Model X, Range Mode conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system. For more visit our New Owner Frequently Asked Questions.

Does outside temperature impact range?
Yes. Range can be impacted by extreme cold or hot temperatures; however, the impact will seem far more noticeable in cold weather. Tesla high voltage batteries are regulated to keep the battery temperature within optimal boundaries. Even if the vehicle is not being operated, the high voltage battery temperature is monitored and regulated to prolong its lifespan and performance – this is why you may notice the compressor running even while parked. See our Winter Driving Tips for more information.

• Love
Reactions: Justin30624700
Yes, it is all good information, however, some owners experienced some drop of the displayed estimated range.
It is not gradual. Some people lost 10% in the 1st year, some only 2 or 3.
The displayed estimated range, as stated in Tesla support pages, doesn't take into account driving style, temperature, tire pressure...etc...so I don't see why there are sudden drops and such differences between vehicles.

Hello all, anybody here with Model 3 has experienced what I experience?
I drive to work from home 41 miles one way (takes me about 45 min). I start with full 310 miles in AM. My trip would cause 60-70 miles drop from 310 miles! (depends on weather). If I take a longer trip, the max actual miles I can get from stated 310 miles is about 240 miles!

Hello all, anybody here with Model 3 has experienced what I experience?
I drive to work from home 41 miles one way (takes me about 45 min). I start with full 310 miles in AM. My trip would cause 60-70 miles drop from 310 miles! (depends on weather). If I take a longer trip, the max actual miles I can get from stated 310 miles is about 240 miles!

First of all, yes literally EVERYONE is experiencing range not ticking off at a 1:1 pace. It wont do that unless you drive at the EPA wh/mi. Second, if you "leave with 310 miles every day" that means you are charging your car to full (100%) every day... why would you be doing that?

Third, its still fairly cold here for san diego, cold enough to effect the wh/mi numbers. You will likely get better range stats by the end of april.... but you still will likely not get a 1:1 tick off of miles per range unless you drive with a consumption of 240/245 wh/mi which is hard to do when its not cold (and yes, for your battery, 50s and 60s are cold).

• Informative
ive a model 3 with 20s awd long range. just picked it up friday.

i keep my foot in the tank :p , so i don't expect 300 or whatever miles on the window sticker. i bought the car for is speed, agility, and overall performance. i'm coming from driving SUVs for years and my last suv was a 5.6 L V8 - 6500 ish pounds and i was getting 11 MPG (did not buy the car for its MPG). i was charging yesterday for the second time at a charging station because i live in an apartment and no way to plug, and i KEEP the air-con running. not going to have windows rolled down and/or wrapped up in a blanket.

i think there are some people like me out there in the wild who don't really care too much about squeezing out EVERY mile that the epa window sticker says--they just want to have fun in the car, and by George, that's exactly what i am doing. Range be damned! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.