Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners are 50% less likely to crash their EV than their other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
electrek.co/2022/05/27/tesla-owners-less-likely-crash-than-their-other-cars

Probably reported in another (non UK) forum, but thought it might be of passing interest to Brits

"Tesla owners who also drive another vehicle are 50% less likely to have an accident in their Tesla compared to in their other vehicles, according to an interesting new study looking at EV drivers who drive multiple vehicles.

The study is coming from Cambridge Mobile Telematics, which collects telematics data from millions of vehicles.

At the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Charging Into an Electrified Future Conference this week, the group released findings from a study of how behaviors and safety change for electric vehicle drivers when they drive their EVs compared to any other vehicle.

Interestingly, EV drivers are much less likely to crash in their EV than in their other vehicles, but there’s a big discrepancy between brands.

For example, the study found that Tesla owners are about 50% less likely to crash their EV than any other vehicle they operate while it’s the opposite for Porsche EV owners."

0x0-Group_04.jpg

Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit like the Auto Steer thing that keep you in your lane ... until you fail to touch the steering wheel when asked, at which point it TURNS OFF!!

It just seems to me like it's be better at that point to leave it on

I thought it stays on but slows the car to a stop and disables re-engaging AP until you go into park/drive again?

Scary one for me is if you hit a corner thats too sharp for its liking and it disengages - right at the point when you need hard steering angle applied. Had that on the A23 before so don't use AP on the windy bits any more. You'd think it'd slow if it detects an excessive steering input would be required

I believe the regulations in this country limit the degree of turn and the acceleration etc of the manoeuvres that ADAS are allowed to execute. They also limit how long the car has to complete a move once it starts it and have requirements for user confirmation of certain actions.

I have wondered if it’s these rules piled on top of AP that cause a lot of the shonky behaviour and perhaps the system would be a lot better if it was just allowed to do it’s thing.

Eg with lane changes on the motorway, I often find that the car will ask to change lane, but by the time I’ve manually reviewed whether I agree, done the inevitable steering wiggle that will have been prompted in the mean time (being careful not to wiggle too much so the system doesn’t disengage) and indicated, either the time will have run out or the situation will have changed so the car cancels and I’m there looking like a twat having indicated but not moved.