Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just wondering something about 3G. That is... mine and Hanchen's have stopped working. It shows "3G" and 3-5 bars depending on wherever I drive, but there is no access to slacker, the web browser, or the GPS map. We also cannot connect to the car via the Tesla app or any other app for that matter. It seems strange that this occurred on my car seemingly overnight independent of Hanchen's Tesla. I only found out he had the same issue when I asked him this morning. I'm just wondering if any other Calgary owners have had any similar issues recently and am hoping it might be a cellular network problem. Thanks!
Have you called Tesla? I have had intermittent signal issues - as have many others - but never what you are describing. I think you can reboot the main computer by pressing and holding the top buttons on the steering wheel (not the scroll ones). Try that?

- - - Updated - - -

On Wednesday, Aug 5 we are embarking on a road trip in the Tesla - two adults, two kids, luggage and a 40 lb dog! :scared:

Will drive from Calgary to Golden then the next day to Kelowna and Summerland.

At at the end of August in2oil and I will be going to Vancouver for a few days so we look forward to seeing some Vancouver owners there. Hopefully Autopilot is released by end of August!! :biggrin:

Have you called Tesla? I have had intermittent signal issues - as have many others - but never what you are describing. I think you can reboot the main computer by pressing and holding the top buttons on the steering wheel (not the scroll ones). Try that?

- - - Updated - - -

On Wednesday, Aug 5 we are embarking on a road trip in the Tesla - two adults, two kids, luggage and a 40 lb dog! :scared:

Will drive from Calgary to Golden then the next day to Kelowna and Summerland.

At at the end of August in2oil and I will be going to Vancouver for a few days so we look forward to seeing some Vancouver owners there. Hopefully Autopilot is released by end of August!! :biggrin:

Yeah have tried all types of reboots and called Tesla service. They have no idea what the problem is. The cars just can't get data through 3G, but wifi works just fine. Optimistically hoping it will suddenly work tomorrow morning......

Awesome news on the upcoming road trip. Hope everything goes as smooth as the sound of the Model S whooshing by everyone on the highway. :)

Yeah have tried all types of reboots and called Tesla service. They have no idea what the problem is. The cars just can't get data through 3G, but wifi works just fine. Optimistically hoping it will suddenly work tomorrow morning......

Awesome news on the upcoming road trip. Hope everything goes as smooth as the sound of the Model S whooshing by everyone on the highway. :)

Hi,
My install finished this morning and my 3G internet seems to work fine. Sorry!

I just got back from Summerland BC last week. Driving with the Superchargers is a breeze. If I followed the recommended charging intervals it would have had me stop three times but with a total charging time of 40 minutes (for an 8 hour drive). In actual fact, I stopped in Revelstoke for long enough to use the washroom and buy a bottle of water. Then I stopped in Golden and ate supper - the car had enough charge to get me back to Calgary before I had finished eating (it was a sit down restaurant). I was driving about 9 KMs over the speed limit all of the way.

Hi,
My install finished this morning and my 3G internet seems to work fine. Sorry!

I just got back from Summerland BC last week. Driving with the Superchargers is a breeze. If I followed the recommended charging intervals it would have had me stop three times but with a total charging time of 40 minutes (for an 8 hour drive). In actual fact, I stopped in Revelstoke for long enough to use the washroom and buy a bottle of water. Then I stopped in Golden and ate supper - the car had enough charge to get me back to Calgary before I had finished eating (it was a sit down restaurant). I was driving about 9 KMs over the speed limit all of the way.

My 3G connection magically works now. I have a feeling it must be the one cell phone tower or provider that went down in the area I am in. Who knows, I'm just happy it works again! From your experience it seems that the software builds in a alot of range-safety margin. Probably good for the first time road tripper, but might be excessive for those who drive long distances often. One of these days I am going to try the drive out to Vancouver.

My 3G connection magically works now. I have a feeling it must be the one cell phone tower or provider that went down in the area I am in. Who knows, I'm just happy it works again!
I wouldn't be too quick to blame the provider... if you had 3G bars, I'd bet it was a problem with building the IP tunnel to the gateway Tesla uses for mobile data. I had what sounds like the same problem for about 24 hours. It just magically started working again, all the time with full 3G signal strength. So sometimes, this just happens I guess...

Lost my Slacker radio connection just when I left the lake yesterday and had to listen to FM radio :crying: coming back into the city.
Everything working fine this morning.
Haven't done the latest update yet, will do tonite.

Ah, the perennial -- for me, at least --connectivity issue. I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts about it.

From the congenial Mark Lidstone (Tesla Service Manager in Vancouver), I understand the problem is not cell provider-related, seems to exist much more in Canada, and sometimes (briefly) resolves after a software update. Mark tells me -- and he's been keeping me updated on this for over a year -- that Tesla engineers continue to seek a solution. Frustrating to see no bars when driving in the city or to see five bars, but have the Slacker screen with just a rolling donut. Alas, those visuals happen on a near-daily basis for me, though hopefully not when I'm giving a test drive.

We await a permanent solution. In the meantime, after two-and-a-half years of driving my Model S, still loving it.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, that's my car on Page 1 of this forum, delivered in February 2013.

Ah, the perennial -- for me, at least --connectivity issue. I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts about it.

From the congenial Mark Lidstone (Tesla Service Manager in Vancouver), I understand the problem is not cell provider-related, seems to exist much more in Canada, and sometimes (briefly) resolves after a software update. Mark tells me -- and he's been keeping me updated on this for over a year -- that Tesla engineers continue to seek a solution. Frustrating to see no bars when driving in the city or to see five bars, but have the Slacker screen with just a rolling donut. Alas, those visuals happen on a near-daily basis for me, though hopefully not when I'm giving a test drive.

We await a permanent solution. In the meantime, after two-and-a-half years of driving my Model S, still loving it.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, that's my car on Page 1 of this forum, delivered in February 2013.
Welcome! Will we see you on here now? We sometimes coordinate meetups through this particular thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Today the sun came out - finally and much to my horror I have hail damage on the car. I got caught outside my garage during the first hail storm and I had hoped that I escaped - or that my wrap protected me. Unfortunately it appears that some damage was done. Presumably aluminum is more susceptible than steel which could be a liability in Calgary. Or maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Am I the only one who got hit? I can't imagine how much hassle this will be to get resolved.

Today the sun came out - finally and much to my horror I have hail damage on the car. I got caught outside my garage during the first hail storm and I had hoped that I escaped - or that my wrap protected me. Unfortunately it appears that some damage was done. Presumably aluminum is more susceptible than steel which could be a liability in Calgary. Or maybe I was just in the wrong place
at the wrong time. Am I the only one who got hit? I can't imagine how much hassle this will be to get resolved.

OMG I am SOOO sorry to hear about the hail damage. Hearing the news reports about your weather the last couple days, my first (selfish) thought was 'glad it wasn't here', but then I also thought about you guys specifically, and now the fears are confirmed. How long was it in being pelted by hail, and of what size? Any photo's to share? Other than passing along sympathy, I wish there was something that could be done to help out.

Today the sun came out - finally and much to my horror I have hail damage on the car.
Yikes! You have my sympathy!

I'm headed into Calgary - High River - Medicine Hat area to visit relatives next week and I saw the news about the storm. It made me wonder - is there anything that can be done to protect against damage short of seeking shelter? Would a thick blanket or two be enough to cushion the impact? We get hail, but the stones aren't as big as you've been seeing.

Last time I was in High River, my uncle was repairing his siding that had been smashed to bits by a hail storm... ironically enough, that storm hit about a week or two before my arrival (again!).

gpetti, what surfaces show the most damage? I'm assuming the hood, since it's the biggest unsupported piece of metal? What about the smaller sections around the rear glass, front windshield etc?

Yikes! You have my sympathy!

I'm headed into Calgary - High River - Medicine Hat area to visit relatives next week and I saw the news about the storm. It made me wonder - is there anything that can be done to protect against damage short of seeking shelter? Would a thick blanket or two be enough to cushion the impact? We get hail, but the stones aren't as big as you've been seeing.

Last time I was in High River, my uncle was repairing his siding that had been smashed to bits by a hail storm... ironically enough, that storm hit about a week or two before my arrival (again!).

gpetti, what surfaces show the most damage? I'm assuming the hood, since it's the biggest unsupported piece of metal? What about the smaller sections around the rear glass, front windshield etc?
The area I was in got a particularly heavy hail deluge. I was parked outside because my driveway was recently poured and I was patiently waiting for the amount of time prescribed by the cement company. I was 2 days away from their warranted wait time and I was plugged in to 120v through an extension cord. When the hail started and I realized how large the hailstones were, I decided to hell with waiting 2 more days and ran out to the car with a jacket over my head. The onslaught was so aggressive that I couldn't muster the concentration to unplug the car and initially I gave up and jumped in the car to get out of the hail. I stopped charging and unlocked the charge cable from inside and then jumped out of the car, pulled out the cable and jumped back in again. By the time I finally got the car put away, I had angry red blotches from being pelted and apparently the car had damage too - though I didn't see it until today. The hood has the brunt of it but virtually every other horizontal surface has at least one mark as far as I can see. This was a pretty freak occurrence though we do seem to get them every few years. I guess a blanket would possibly work, though clearly my Xpel wrap wasn't able to protect from ice cube size hail striking with velocity - not surprising really.
I don't think a car cover would help. Our barbecue cover looks like someone with a hatred for barbecue covers took a knife to it.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG I am SOOO sorry to hear about the hail damage. Hearing the news reports about your weather the last couple days, my first (selfish) thought was 'glad it wasn't here', but then I also thought about you guys specifically, and now the fears are confirmed. How long was it in being pelted by hail, and of what size? Any photo's to share? Other than passing along sympathy, I wish there was something that could be done to help out.
Thanks, can always count on sympathy here. As above the initial onslaught seemed to be the size of round ice cubes,at least marble size. That probably only lasted for 20 minutes but then we got pea size hail followed by rain for quite a while.
The damage is difficult to photograph as the light needs to be right but I'll give it a shot. Was tempted to posta picture of the splotches on my back but that might be weird
tesla have referred me to coachworks locally so I'll report back on that experience. My insurance should cover this but they may not be happy using coachworks. I guess we'll see

gpetti, so sorry to hear you got caught in that freak hail storm. Here's hoping everything get's nicely fixed and you don't have too much trouble with it all.

On another note, it seems as though Tesla is hiring in Calgary. Could this be a sign we will finally see a store/service centre by the end of 2015?

https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=31985&source=Indeed (Store manager)
https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=30472&source=Indeed (Owner advisor)
https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=29583&source=Indeed (Service tech)

That would be nice to have the store open by the time they do the test-drive event in Calgary at the end of August.

gpetti, so sorry to hear you got caught in that freak hail storm. Here's hoping everything get's nicely fixed and you don't have too much trouble with it all.

On another note, it seems as though Tesla is hiring in Calgary. Could this be a sign we will finally see a store/service centre by the end of 2015?

https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=31985&source=Indeed (Store manager)
https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=30472&source=Indeed (Owner advisor)
https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1&rid=29583&source=Indeed (Service tech)

That would be nice to have the store open by the time they do the test-drive event in Calgary at the end of August.

These all seem to be for a sales center - not so much for service as the service tech is mobile/remote. Still it's a good start.

I was going to suggest that some of us owners should show up for this event but I'm guessing Tesla might not want a bunch of owners lobbying customer to use their referral links :)

- - - Updated - - -

crap, sorry to hear about your car damage man....
For everyones information, my other vehicle (an Infiniti QX60) was also damaged. Obviously that double sucks but I was very slightly relieved to know that the aluminum body didn't make it more susceptible.

Quick question... looking to charge near Northlands Village Mall in Calgary on Wednesday (later today after I sleep for a few hours!). Plugshare suggests the University chargers might be tough to access thanks to some sea cans. Anyone know the latest status and if there is anything else nearby that might be a better bet?

Quick question... looking to charge near Northlands Village Mall in Calgary on Wednesday (later today after I sleep for a few hours!). Plugshare suggests the University chargers might be tough to access thanks to some sea cans. Anyone know the latest status and if there is anything else nearby that might be a better bet?

I haven't used it since before the summer break, but it was accessible—although not readily visible—around the back of the containers pictured in PlugShare. There should be minimal chance of ICEing during summer break, but there is a fee to park.