Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall 2 economics- any real data?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heads up to anybody about to order - just placed my order directly with Tesla - was told by their representative that the quote (about £8600 inc VAT) is only valid today before an approx £1K increase tomorrow.

The price from tomorrow apparently includes the Backup Gateway or whatever it’s called.

Could have been a sales trick but don’t see why - other quotes I had said Backup Gateway was coming Q2 or Q3.

FWIW, quote directly from Tesla was about £1200 cheaper than from other (who mostly pushed PylonTech or Sonnen).

Mike :)
On the basis of what you say I've just placed a reservation deposit. I haven't fully decided and have a recommended installer in mind anyway. However, the deposit is fully refundable on cancellation before entering into the purchase agreement so there's nothing to loose.

nmmds69 - looks like you were spot on. I just looked at the Powerwall 2 site this morning and at first the price of supporting hardware was £650. A little later it's jumped to £1700. The battery price hasn't changed. There is also a tick box for 'use during outage' which appears beneath the 'do you have EV charging equipment' button, but only when you tick it. It may have been there before but I don't remember it.

nmmds69 - looks like you were spot on. I just looked at the Powerwall 2 site this morning and at first the price of supporting hardware was £650. A little later it's jumped to £1700. The battery price hasn't changed. There is also a tick box for 'use during outage' which appears beneath the 'do you have EV charging equipment' button, but only when you tick it. It may have been there before but I don't remember it.

Hope you get the price you want. Blind luck on my part - had spoken to third parties for a couple of weeks and only thought to go direct to Tesla on Tuesday. Spoke to Tom @ Tesla UK Thursday AM who was much better informed that any other salesman I’d spoken to.

I think they subcontract installation in each area. My price was for simplest installation which I think was about £1600 on top of hardware.

Mike.

well I won't have lost anything by putting down a refundable reservation. Thanks very much for the heads up, Mike. I also spoke to Tom a week a go and he didn't mention anything then, but he probably only had rumour at the time. Following my visit to my knowledgable PW2 owning friend, and his recommendation, I also rang the Little Green Energy Company on Tuesday to get a quote from them, and I'm still waiting for a salesman to ring back. I wonder if he was waiting the the gateway price increase before he rang me.

Last edited:
Update - Tom from Tesla just rang re. my reservation. It seems putting down the deposit was a waste of time. The prices are only confirmed once the contract is signed and I'd be getting the more expensive gateway with the ability to power the house during a power outage regardless. The website shows the different options as to where the gateway is installed. So it looks like it's another £1050 to pay. He did say there was no indication that the PW2 price of £6200 was likely to change soon (Brexit excepted!) - fingers crossed!

He did confirm that it is definitely legal to power the house during a power outage as long as it's isolated from the grid, which is what the new gateway does.

Anyway, as I'm also interested in more solar panels he's going to get an installer to visit, and made a note of my preference for installer.