Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Purchase: Inventory vs. Non-Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I have been writing on the investor thread for some time now and that day finally came that I help a friend out to buy a Tesla.

I had a quick question:

How come the Standard Range Plus inventory cars go for ~42k while the Long Range cars(non-inventory, from the Tesla 'Design Your Model 3' page) go for about the same? Shouldn't the long ranges be more expensive -- or the inventory ones be less expensive? Is it because the inventory cars are ready for pick-up basically and they don't have any wait times?

Ah, also, the safest car within Tesla family is the 3, right?

Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.36.29 PM.png

I suspect when designing the car you are looking at the price with "Savings included".. the SR+ cars I see in inventory are 39,900 (in blue). the LR AWD cars start ~47,900

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.38.28 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
View attachment 444965
Forgot the image of the "Saving included" price.

Much appreciated, Jason! I can see Elon asking for that toggle menu item -- and making the default 'Include potential savings*' :) Haha.

On another note, what is the latest on Autopilot vs./and/or Full Self Driving prices?

The last I checked, Tesla decided to include Autopilot in all purchases for free. I believe the Full Self Driving package was 5k.

When I checkout the Long Range on the inventory site -- to buy it, I don't see the option to add the Full Self Driving package. At what point can that be added?

Much appreciated, Jason! I can see Elon asking for that toggle menu item -- and making the default 'Include potential savings*' :) Haha.

On another note, what is the latest on Autopilot vs./and/or Full Self Driving prices?

The last I checked, Tesla decided to include Autopilot in all purchases for free. I believe the Full Self Driving package was 5k.

When I checkout the Long Range on the inventory site -- to buy it, I don't see the option to add the Full Self Driving package. At what point can that be added?

For vehicles with Autopilot (which is different than Enhanced Autopilot) FSD is 6000. You can buy it as a software update after the car is delivered.. if you wanted to finance it as part of an inventory car, I don't have a clue how you would coordinate that.

For building your own, it's the last step after color, interior, and wheels. Autopilot is included on all new Model 3s.. FSD is $6,000.

If you find an inventory car with Enhanced Auto Pilot, FSD will be $3,000. Available as an upgrade after the car is yours.

For vehicles with Autopilot (which is different than Enhanced Autopilot) FSD is 6000. You can buy it as a software update after the car is delivered.. if you wanted to finance it as part of an inventory car, I don't have a clue how you would coordinate that.

For building your own, it's the last step after color, interior, and wheels. Autopilot is included on all new Model 3s.. FSD is $6,000.

If you find an inventory car with Enhanced Auto Pilot, FSD will be $3,000. Available as an upgrade after the car is yours.

So, I guess the Enhanced Autopilot was more expensive to purchase in the past and that's why the FSD add-on is only 3k. Also, they no longer have Enhanced Autopilot, is that correct?

Okay, on the other hand, I will call the local Tesla store to see how they finance the FSD add-on to the Autopilot.

Correct on both points. EAP Also includes several features that overlap FSD. EAP was before my time, so I don't have specifics.

Glad I could help!
Thanks, you have been very helpful! Last question :)

Do you know if the Federal tax credit is still available -- say if I purchased the inventory Model 3 tomorrow?

I know that Tesla didn't hit the 200k delivery mark yet this year though we're into the third quarter and I don't know how we'd know when they cross the 200k line. Also, it seems, the current credit is $1875, right?

Thanks again :)

What is your referral link?

Free Supercharger Miles

I appreciate that. Although it's not why I answered your questions.. I was new here every recently, and there is a lot to take in. Paying my dues!

Once you click on it, it should make reference that you used a link, then I found it to be pretty sticky. but the forums are full of people who can't get referrals to work. Don't let it stress ya!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Free Supercharger Miles

I appreciate that. Although it's not why I answered your questions.. I was new here every recently, and there is a lot to take in. Paying my dues!

Once you click on it, it should make reference that you used a link, then I found it to be pretty sticky. but the forums are full of people who can't get referrals to work. Don't let it stress ya!
Haha, no worries. I definitely know what you mean.

Could you let me know if/when you get the miles? I don't know how that works, I let them know twice, it seems like they keep forgetting only then to tell me that we are late...

Slightly related question.... If you browse their site today, there are zero Model 3 new cars listed as inventory, but alot of used Model 3 cars, most that have super low miles (like 100 to 200 or so). What makes these used? Are they returns? Damaged? Fixed? Any ideas?

Slightly related question.... If you browse their site today, there are zero Model 3 new cars listed as inventory, but alot of used Model 3 cars, most that have super low miles (like 100 to 200 or so). What makes these used? Are they returns? Damaged? Fixed? Any ideas?

They could be returns, demo cars, showroom cars...You have to ask them what the history was on each one. If they were demo or showroom cars they would still qualify for the federal tax credit so I’m not sure if they would include those under used or new inventory.

I agree, I'd ask the history on ones you are interested in..

If there are previously titled they have to be sold as used. From what I've read on the forums demo cars (and cars that are parked in malls, etc) sell as new, but with good discounts. The logical answer, especially for the number available when I looked this afternoon, and the mediocre discounts (1-2k?) is returns with minor fixes.

Reactions: bdelrizzo