Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth getting an M3P over the LR at basically the same price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, looking at maybe getting back on a Tesla, after having to sell the '21 M3LR after a year and 10K miles of use (at an actual profit). Need to do some research here to make sure the 'heat pump' is reliable now, and also that programming issues like not being able to close the power trunk, and not being able to charge the car sometimes (scaring the crap out of my wife), are in the past. But since the cars I'm considering seem to have reliability issues (C8 Coupe 3LT NPP MRC, F-Type P450 RWD fully loaded), I'm considering getting back on a Tesla, since it'd be dirt cheap by comparison, especially with the $7,500 rebate still going on until the end of Dec.

Anyway, l was looking at the inventory, and it's all over the place in prices, but there's a new (I don't want a demo) M3P at $46,790, and a new LR with the ugly 18" wheels costs basically the same. I liked how the '21 rode, so the P is probably going to ride worse, but how much? As long as it's similar to my current '23 G70 Sport Prestige, it'd be fine... but would prefer a little better for my wife. The other negative is the reduced range (315 vs 358). Will try to test-drive one, but if not available, want your input on that. Not sure if the drawbacks of the P are worth basically paying the same price, but it's definitely tempting. Is noise inside the cabin, which was annoying on the LR, worse with summer tires? I'd probably have to buy A/S tires anyway (the Pilot A/S4s), which would be like $2K extra, and I'm not sure if those would be as quiet as the grand-touring MXM the LR comes with. I'd definitely like the new 3 much better, but it'll probably be quite a bit more expensive, and no $7,500 rebate, so need to think if this is a good idea or not. All comments welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Never heard that the heat pump has ever been an issue.
Starting in 22 I believe, they use 2x paned glass in the front to make it quieter. Heard the Highland has 2x paid glass front and rear now.
The range issue is strictly because of the wheel/tire combo on the P vs the LR.
The P and the LR have the same suspension. But it's a good excuse to buy a set of MPP Comfort Coilovers anyway.

I got one of the very first '21s with the heat pump; that was probably why. Then the programming issues started creeping up, not only with the stupid trunk, but unable to charge the car, both on trips and at the house, so when I noticed I could sell the car at an actual profit (made $3K total, including taxes, accessories, and even the home charger I installed), jumped at the opportunity. Glad to hear things are better now. And didn't know '22+ had double pane front glass, so glad to hear that. And yes, I know the new one has acoustic glass all around, but it'll be for sure quite a bit more expensive, plus the inevitable waiting time. And it looks much better too, especially at the front. But if I could get a new P in the low 40s with the rebate, it sounds like a safe bet, no? But need to check how much the suspension upgrade would be, plus the $2K needed for year-round tires. Thank you for your input.

With a 3.1 0-60, I don't need any more 'go go' than that. Ha ha. That's almost super car territory. The C8 has similar performance, but at twice the price. And the P450 is quite a bit slower at 4.4. And with its heavy weight, it's not going to handle like a C8 or Jag, but I'm looking more for a GT car, so decent handling would be good enough for me. I also value quite a bit a great stereo, and the M3 P or LR should beat the other 2 premium sounds systems, for what I remember. But I really wanted ventilated seats, and now I'm remembering our M3LR having a lousy A/C, mainly due to having the vents WAAAAY back, and an anemic blower, so I need to check on that. Might also test-drive the Model S LR, which has the same 3.1 0-60, and should be quieter, and more comfortable. The only problem is it's a barge at 198" long. Maybe waiting for the revamped 3 with all acoustic windows, ventilated seats, and hopefully a revamped HVAC mightb be the better option. I'd only buy a P now if it could preserve its value (with the rebate), but EVs are struggling for sales, so not sure about that happening. On the other hand, things are not getting any cheaper. Anyway, also have to confirm that P is actually new, still available, and there's no nefarious reason it's being discounted. Will head to the Tesla store shortly, and report back. Thanks.

Last edited:
I went from a 21 G70 Sport Prestige to a 23 M3P. I'd say the ride compliance is similar. My M3P is quiet inside (when I'm not cranking the sound system, which KICKS ASS! (better than the Lexicon in the Genesis) so no issues there). Unless you take a lot of long road trips, I wouldn't really worry about the difference in range, as you end up charging it way before realizing the maximum range anyway. The performance model looks WAYY better IMO, with the wheels, brakes and spoiler. Don't buy a demo they don't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. I got mine (midnight silver w/ white interior for $49,360 (MSRP $54,240, so it qualified for the $7,500 tax credit). So I basically got it for $41,860 after the tax credit. Best decision I've made!

• Disagree
Reactions: scrapps
With a 3.1 0-60, I don't need any more 'go go' than that. Ha ha. That's almost super car territory. The C8 has similar performance, but at twice the price. And the P450 is quite a bit slower at 4.4. And with its heavy weight, it's not going to handle like a C8 or Jag, but I'm looking more for a GT car, so decent handling would be good enough for me. I also value quite a bit a great stereo, and the M3 P or LR should beat the other 2 premium sounds systems, for what I remember. But I really wanted ventilated seats, and now I'm remembering our M3LR having a lousy A/C, mainly due to having the vents WAAAAY back, and an anemic blower, so I need to check on that. Might also test-drive the Model S LR, which has the same 3.1 0-60, and should be quieter, and more comfortable. The only problem is it's a barge at 198" long. Maybe waiting for the revamped 3 with all acoustic windows, ventilated seats, and hopefully a revamped HVAC mightb be the better option. I'd only buy a P now if it could preserve its value (with the rebate), but EVs are struggling for sales, so not sure about that happening. On the other hand, things are not getting any cheaper. Anyway, also have to confirm that P is actually new, still available, and there's no nefarious reason it's being discounted. Will head to the Tesla store shortly, and report back. Thanks.

I am in search for a similar vehicle as well. However I am in no rush 2 years out. In the meantime I can slide behind the wheel of the 23' M3P from time to time belongs to a family member. With a little of suspension mods, it has transformed the handling characteristics of the M3P. Lowering springs and struts are coming next spring.
I will see what the new M3P has to offer and what the C8 SR has coming maybe a new DOHC V8 hopefully? The new C63S E is too porky and may be too expensive. Those EV6-GT and Ioniq 5N are too porky as well. M3 is a good choice as well.
Leaning towards the Highland M3P.

Thank you very much for your great help guys; greatly appreciated. I'd prefer a C8 coupe, to be honest, but I'm not willing to risk having DCT issues. Depending how the test-drive goes with the Jag, and if the only two I'm willing to consider accept my price, then might get one. But my local dealer recently bailed on Jag (supposedly they can still service them), so also a bit concerned about reliability of the engine and electronics, and its depreciation, but that's why I wouldn't buy it without a sizable discount (it's discontinued after '24). And if it doesn't drive great, might as well get the P, assuming I could get it at that price new. And maybe when the C8 becomes reliable in 2 years, the P would be worth about the same I paid (mid $40s). The good news about that is I'd probably have to shell about 10 grand for the P, vs at least 50 for the C8 or P450.

Performance all the way. If you don't like the larger rims, you can always post them on CL or the like and buy 19's. If you don't want to be zapping your passenger in the back seat all the time, you can select Chill mode for those days. The P over the LR was known at one time to be a tad lower. What ever you get you will have a fun machine. I traded in a 2020 MY for a used from Tesla 2018 LR RWD. What a blast to drive. I've learned to slow down my entry onto other roads at intersections after being pulled over for that we bit of drift. Oh the power and fun in a RWD LR.

The M3P with smaller wheels will have the same efficiency specs as the LR AWD. So if you can afford it and wanna swap out those god awful wheels, you’ll have the best of both worlds.

I have an Accel Boost ‘21 LR and I love it as is. The only thing faster than it is another Tesla. But if they were the same price at the time I probably would have gone M3P. Also make sure you consider insurance costs

Thank you guys. Just came back from Tesla, but they didn't have a demo M3P available, so couldn't drive it. They had 1 in the showroom. Talked to a stupid guy who didn't know nothing, so a little frustrating. Asked if I'd get 10K credits as a previous Tesla owner, how many speakers on the 3 vs S, and several similar questions, and the guy knew nothing. Anyway, they cheaper M3Ps are apparently not there, and he said you'd have to buy them wherever they are. The $46K one is in Dallas. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, so hope Austin has one to test-drive when I go there in a week. I'd probably only buy it if they get discounted at the last minute before the end of the year. Those prices are a little misleading, since Tesla tacks on like 2 grand once you read the fine print (destination, order fee, mobile cable).

Drove the Model S LR, and it was definitely better than the last Performance I drove several years ago. Very quiet inside, but didn't check which tires it has. It actually handled really well for its weight, even though the tires were at only 32 psi (they should be at 40, according to the screen). But the sound system didn't seem any better than my ex-M3LR, but it should be, with 22 vs 17 speakers, and 960 vs 580 W, or something like that (I googled it after coming back). I tried it in my garage, and it fit, with my motorcycle in front, but not by much. The other drawback is it doesn't qualify for any rebates. The guy said they don't have any, but several show on the site. Hmmm. By the way, which battery pack the S LR has? Pana or LG? and 100 kWh, right? Thanks.

So will drive one of those in Austin, along a Jag and LC500, and see what I decide. Thanks again for all the help.

My daughter got COVID, so had to postpone the trip until the 30th (to spend new year with her). So won't have a chance to drive an M3P in Austin before having to decide if I buy an M3P now or not:oops:. Anyway, saw that Tesla put a gray/white P the local dealer has on the showroom floor at the same price the new Dallas car was ($46,750)... BUT this is a demo. That alone is probably a deal-breaker, even though it says it only has 4 miles, since I'm sure it's full of scuffs and scratches from careless 'testers'. I remember seating on it, and thinking there's no way somebody would buy that car as new. That's the one they didn't allow me to drive it, and not sure why, if it's a demo already. Anyway, my question is if demos for sure don't qualify for the $7,500 are correct, since somebody posted somewhere on this forum (maybe even here) that they didn't. With only 4 miles (if that is correct), it'd be easier to argue it's not really a demo, but not sure if that is posted anywhere on the sales documentation. And if the rebate actually specifies that. Just want to know in case it's discounted any further, which I'd go scrutinize the car, and decide if I could live with whatever scuff damage it has. Thank you.

My daughter got COVID, so had to postpone the trip until the 30th (to spend new year with her). So won't have a chance to drive an M3P in Austin before having to decide if I buy an M3P now or not:oops:. Anyway, saw that Tesla put a gray/white P the local dealer has on the showroom floor at the same price the new Dallas car was ($46,750)... BUT this is a demo. That alone is probably a deal-breaker, even though it says it only has 4 miles, since I'm sure it's full of scuffs and scratches from careless 'testers'. I remember seating on it, and thinking there's no way somebody would buy that car as new. That's the one they didn't allow me to drive it, and not sure why, if it's a demo already. Anyway, my question is if demos for sure don't qualify for the $7,500 are correct, since somebody posted somewhere on this forum (maybe even here) that they didn't. With only 4 miles (if that is correct), it'd be easier to argue it's not really a demo, but not sure if that is posted anywhere on the sales documentation. And if the rebate actually specifies that. Just want to know in case it's discounted any further, which I'd go scrutinize the car, and decide if I could live with whatever scuff damage it has. Thank you.

I went through this in September, and was emphatically told by the manager at our local Tesla service center, that demo cars DO NOT qualify for the $7,500 tax rebate, regardless of how many miles they have. He even showed me in his system that if we try to put an order in on a demo vehicle, it does not qualify. With that said, it certainly couldn't hurt to call you local service center and ask the question - but this was my experience in September. Good luck

Thank you for your help. So if I'm understanding this correctly, it depends on what the dealer puts on the paperwork if the car qualifies for the rebate or not? Or can they put it qualifies (based on battery criteria), and then the IRS could deny it, due to being demo? And yes, will call Tesla tomorrow, but would like to know how it works first, if possible, to ask more precise questions. And yes, it'd be nice if the paperwork says it qualifies, and the IRS would always honor that. Then it'd be a matter of just asking if they'd put this particular demo qualifies or not. I don't see the logic why not, but it's the government. Ha ha. Thanks again.

I think it's because when Tesla designates a car as a demo vehicle, it puts that car into "service", and it's no longer considered "new" at that point. What he showed me in his system was that when we tried to place an order for that demo car, using the vin# for that demo car, it showed it did not qualify for the $7,500 rebate. When we switched the car and the vin# to a "new" car, the order system showed the $7,500 tax rebate as available.

Interesting. Hey, where is the 'system' you talk about? How can I check for a VIN? I went by Tesla this morning, but there was an even bigger idiot there, so just left. Wish I had seen your post earlier, to get a picture of the VIN of that vehicle. But it had many scuffs, so I wouldn't buy it unless it's discounted further. Or a new one for that price, like in Dallas. Anyway, I'm on hold at Tesla Austin, waiting for a recording to tell me to punch my number, because there's a 2-hr wait, like the other day. Ha ha. But just the thought I'd have to deal with imbeciles here, I'm not very motivated to buy one.

The "system" was the sales manager's computer (he showed me the screen). No idea what program they use. I would ask to speak to the sales manager at your local Tesla service center. That person should be much more knowledgeable than the other "idiots" working there. Good luck

The M3P is a great option but don't need to hurry to buy unless Tesla is discounting enough to make it worth it. Which right now is borderline as at least next year it will still keep the normal 7500 tax credit unlike the other 3's assuming it isn't a demo. Often Tesla marks them a demo even if never demo'd.

The MS LR is a great car but a touch slower than the M3P to 60 but much quicker from 40 mph on up. A lot more comfortable and the sound system is better than my 3's. A big plus now is separating the rear screen on the and having its own BT headphones to use. The S's range is better than the 3's, even my Plaid on 20's is better than my 3's range and I drive it faster. The bigger pack definitely helps. Surprisingly in Texas my S's cost about the same to insure as my 3 and less than my Y.

The 3 is a great daily driver and honestly I'd take it over a C8. Put good coilovers (MPP) and you have an amazing daily driver. The car has great AC; you can put the power down easily due to AWD, and it actually makes traffic fun. The car is cheap enough I don't worry about it as much.

FYI - I could run by and look at the Tesla store if there is a 3 you want me to check out the condition. Just DM me and I can take a look. If the main one I only live a few minutes away.

Thank you very much guys. I wouldn't doubt the arrogant person I talked to today would be the manager. He said he gave me his word a demo would qualify...but if it didn't, he wasn't responsible, and I couldn't return the car. Nice word. Ha ha. Oh, and that I should never believe people on the forums. Anyway, checked the car, and it's scuffed badly, so no way I'd buy that car anyway. But you guys are right; the rebate is going to stay, and it'll actually be much better, since in 2024, it'd be an immediate discount, rather than having to wait to file our taxes (which would be a year+ away starting in Jan), so there's no more reason to do it now. And without a sizable discount, might as well wait for the Highland, since it'll be significantly better.

Hey DayTrippin, thanks a million for your offer. So you live near the Domain then? It's great to know, since I might just buy the car there, so I don't have to deal with the idiots here. And if I do, it'd be great if somebody local more knowledgeable than my daughter could check it out. Ha ha. I'm going to test-drive another MS LR there when I go (Dec 30-Jan 15), hopefully one with the white interior. And a M3P too, if possible (Domain didn't have one when I called). Anyway, they only gave me 1/2-hr here, and spent at least half messing with the phone and infotainment, since it changed from my '21 M3 LR. I don't understand why the S wasn't included with the rebate, if cars are more efficient than SUVs; makes no sense. If it was included, it'd be more tempting. Ha ha. Thanks again for all the help; greatly appreciated.

Reactions: DayTrippin
I just bought a M3 Demo yesterday - and it qualified - strange..
I went through this in September, and was emphatically told by the manager at our local Tesla service center, that demo cars DO NOT qualify for the $7,500 tax rebate, regardless of how many miles they have. He even showed me in his system that if we try to put an order in on a demo vehicle, it does not qualify. With that said, it certainly couldn't hurt to call you local service center and ask the question - but this was my experience in September. Good luck