Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth getting an M3P over the LR at basically the same price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good news. But by 'it qualified', you mean just Tesla told you so, right? Is that enough? I don't fully understand how that works. I thought we could check on a government website by punching a VIN, to be 100% sure. It could theoretically get denied once submitted to the IRS, no? Assuming you qualify with the income limitation. I'm not going to consider a demo anymore, so this doesn't apply to me anyway, but curious, and for others.

I just bought a M3 Demo yesterday - and it qualified - strange..
Interesting! My experience in September was what I posted above. Not really sure how it works. I do think it's VIN specific though and how cars are coded when put into "service" as a demo. It could also be state specific as well. Like in CA, where I'm from, DMV may no longer consider a car that's been put into service as a demo a "new" car - but maybe other states do consider them new? I really don't know other than what happened in my search.

Interesting! My experience in September was what I posted above. Not really sure how it works. I do think it's VIN specific though and how cars are coded when put into "service" as a demo. It could also be state specific as well. Like in CA, where I'm from, DMV may no longer consider a car that's been put into service as a demo a "new" car - but maybe other states do consider them new? I really don't know other than what happened in my search.
The definition where I am(NY) states that it qualifies as "new" so long as it has not been registered in by a private party.
This link states that used vehicles qualify for $4K which I found interesting.

I just made the plunge on a discounted Midnight Silver and Black interior M3P. It was in inventory at my closest dealer with $4,590 off. I was waiting for a Highland (whatever the performance iteration of that will be), but with no dates on when that will be I figured with the full tax credit now was the right time to buy. I can weigh up trading in when the time comes. Picking up on the 30th. I am concerned about tires tho. My wife's MYP came with Pilot sport all seasons, and I have a feeling the M3P come with summers :(

I just made the plunge on a discounted Midnight Silver and Black interior M3P. It was in inventory at my closest dealer with $4,590 off. I was waiting for a Highland (whatever the performance iteration of that will be), but with no dates on when that will be I figured with the full tax credit now was the right time to buy. I can weigh up trading in when the time comes. Picking up on the 30th. I am concerned about tires tho. My wife's MYP came with Pilot sport all seasons, and I have a feeling the M3P come with summers :(
The end of year discounts on demo's are really good. I just took delivery of the same combo as you, except white interior ay my Kisco sc. It was a complete zoo with all the cars they were delivering that day - not thier brightest moment for sure. Anyway, For the savings, pick up a set of tires you like! :)

I picked up my 2023 Model 3 P yesterday. It came with Pirelli P-Zero performance tires. I am not a fan of the P-Zero. Had them on my Jaguar F-Type R as OEM and they wore out quickly and didn't perform nearly as well as the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that I swapped to. I may move to PS4S or 5S when the P-Zeros wear out. I was eager for the Highland P, but discounts on inventory + Cybertruck reservation holder discount made it hard to pass up.

Reactions: Hank42
and I have a feeling the M3P come with summers :(
Unfortunately, your feeling was right... and crappy tires at that, as mentioned above. I heard the Bridgestone UHP A/S tire comparable to the Michelin AS4s are like $900 at Costco (installation included), vs about $1,500 (+ installation) for the Michelins, so that sounds like a nice option. I checked the local M3P demo, and it's scratched to hell and back, so even though it only has 4 miles (so not test-driven), I'm not going to get that one at $4K off. Plus much prefer white, rather than that dark gray. Plus my Austin trip was delayed until the 31st (daughter caught COVID), so wouldn't be able to drive (or buy) one before the end of the year. I really like the suspension and NVH changes, but absolutely despise the new steering wheel (super thin, and the location/ergonomics of the switches, plus no stalks), so not sure I'd buy one. Drove the MS, and it drove me nuts. My brother's Ferrari has an awesome steering wheel with everything there too, but the buttons are physical buttons you can feel, and they fall right where your hands are driving, and logically located. The MS was even dangerous. I have to look at the stupid wheel to know where the turn-signals are, plus had to move the hand out, and without support, it was hard to hit the correct one. Plus the horn is dangerous not to be able to instantly locate it; you have to search for it too. WTF? If you're going to save costs by removing all stalks, at least do it well. The horn should have been a button right on your thumb, and shaped so you can feel it. And same with the turn signals. Other less important buttons could be more awkward to use, but not those 3. Anyway, I'd only buy that demo if it's discounted at least 2 grand more than the current $4K. Not only because I'd have to buy tires, but because Tesla offered a whopping $4K LESS than the lowest online offer for my trade, so would have to pay cash for the entire car, then sell my car, losing $2,200 in tax savings in the process. When I bought my first, they used to match Carmax, but not anymore. It's an insult what they're offering now.

Reactions: ks1972
That's shitty about the demo unit. Sorry! The one I'm picking up is a new inventory car. I have 50% off Michelin tires from when i complained about the tire roar on my now totaled S. So I'll just replace them with Pilot Sport All Seasons.

Oh, awesome. Those are probably the best UHP A/S tires out there. Plus they're all you need outside a track, plus quieter and longer-lasting than a summer tire. And better grip everywhere, except at track speeds and temperatures. And yes, new is the way to go. Plus there's always the possibility of getting denied the rebate with a demo, so I wouldn't run that risk anyway. Congrats, and enjoy your new toy:cool:.

Reactions: scrapps