Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Purchase while in Japan/Taxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LN1_Casey

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Mar 6, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
Hello all!

I'm in the military, and I was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan back in 2010-2013. I would love, love to go back as my next duty station, BUT I am also planning on getting a Tesla as my next vehicle. If I were to get orders to Japan, they'd be for 2 or 3 years, and I would not want to wait that much longer before converting to Tesla.

So, I'd either be importing a Tesla to Japan from the States (my forever vehicle), or I'd be purchasing one while there, and then selling it when I leave. Since it wouldn't be my forever car, I'd likely get a basic Model S because expensive.

But I don't speak Japanese to search the used car market in Japan, and Tesla Japan keeps kicking me out of the Japan used car section. I am unable to view any selection they have, which is strange.

What are the average prices there? Does that amount include the Taxes? Speaking of, how is road tax for an Electric vehicle? What does Japan do when a Tesla comes to the emissions test, and the road noise test? (I'm honestly imagining the Tester staring at the Tesla, silence, then a single check to the "Acceptable Noise" block on the form).

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hi, @LN1_Casey ,

As you can find in other threads I don't recommend importing US spec Tesla into Japan - I think they could refuse service and it seems navigation is not working already.

New & Used Electric Cars | テスラジャパン
Try this link to see used inventory vehicles in Japan - I can only see two Model Ses today.

テスラの中古車 | 中古車なら【カーセンサーnet】
This is one of the biggest used cars listing site and there seems to be 30+ vehicles. You can use Chrome or Google translate to read them. There are many taxes but road tax, or just car tax is 29500 yen per year. If you register the car in Tokyo or Aichi, it would be free for five years.
You are supposed to bring your Tesla to the service center for test (third year, then every two years), but you can do that by yourself. They test various things like light direction, brights, speed meter correction, VIN check for body and motor(!!), braking etc. There are some Tesla owners who went to the test center by themselves so if you know how to do it, it seems to be relatively easy.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
Hi, @LN1_Casey ,

As you can find in other threads I don't recommend importing US spec Tesla into Japan - I think they could refuse service and it seems navigation is not working already.

New & Used Electric Cars | テスラジャパン
Try this link to see used inventory vehicles in Japan - I can only see two Model Ses today.

テスラの中古車 | 中古車なら【カーセンサーnet】
This is one of the biggest used cars listing site and there seems to be 30+ vehicles. You can use Chrome or Google translate to read them. There are many taxes but road tax, or just car tax is 29500 yen per year. If you register the car in Tokyo or Aichi, it would be free for five years.
You are supposed to bring your Tesla to the service center for test (third year, then every two years), but you can do that by yourself. They test various things like light direction, brights, speed meter correction, VIN check for body and motor(!!), braking etc. There are some Tesla owners who went to the test center by themselves so if you know how to do it, it seems to be relatively easy.

Thank you for the response!

As I mentioned in my top post, Tesla Japan kept booting me from the used Tesla inventory while at my PC; however, it now seems to work just fine on my home computer, which is a Mac, so thanks for giving me the link; I'd have not tried again otherwise with the previous, repeated failure.

And also thanks for the info about the various taxes. :)

Thank you for the response!

As I mentioned in my top post, Tesla Japan kept booting me from the used Tesla inventory while at my PC; however, it now seems to work just fine on my home computer, which is a Mac, so thanks for giving me the link; I'd have not tried again otherwise with the previous, repeated failure.

And also thanks for the info about the various taxes. :)
Yeah Tesla website implemented a strange language switching redirects that prevent people like you from looking different region web content. You can avoid Tesla redirect, by adding ?redirect=no to the desired URL.