Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Singapore will not service the car I Purchased and Imported from Tesla Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Tesla Model 3 (Japan Spec) in Malaysia imported from Tesla Japan from one of the car dealers in Malaysia. Less than 4 months after picking up the car, the climate control system started having problems (error VCfront_a447) so I contacted my nearest Tesla service center which is Tesla Singapore (there are no Tesla service center in Malaysia at all) to ask them if it is possible to book an appointment for them to diagnose and maybe service the car. After countless of attempts, I finally reached their operator and at first, promised me that I can book my car in for service the following week. Later in the afternoon, I received an email saying my appointment has been cancelled without giving any reasons. I called them the following morning and they started telling me since your car is made in Japan you should contact Tesla Japan to ask them and that it is none of Tesla Singapore's concern.

I understand that my warranty would be under Tesla Japan but it is not like I am asking them to service my car free of charge, I would pay! Because there are no other workshop in this region that understands Tesla enough to service it of course I would have to find my closest Tesla yet they refuse saying it is not their responsibility. Alright sure, don't service my car, at least help me diagnose it, let me know what the problem is so I can fix it elsewhere without risking damaging the car, but no they did not want to do it. They told me to send my car back to japan to fix my air conditioning (shipping cost is at least 4000USD) in which I asked is it a logical thing to do? Just to fix an air con? The customer support then questioned me is it a logical thing to buy a Tesla in Malaysia? Who the hell talks like that to a customer? Tell me if you bought an Iphone in Japan, would you fly all the way back to where you bought it to fix or would you just find your nearest apple store?

Anyway, I asked to speak to his supervisor in which he refused countless times stating reasons like you can't speak with him because he is away blah blah blah, giving me an arrogant attitude making it impossible for me to speak with him. I asked to speak with another operator and he asked me why can't I speak to him as if I need a reason to not speak with him? Feels as though he is the customer and I am the support! After again arguing with him he finally agreed to help me remotely diagnose my car and I would just need to tell him my VIN number which makes me all the more mad because he could've done so in the first place! Yet he continued dragging and arguing and refusing to help me, ended up wasting my precious time? Then they told me it was my air compressor that is the problem and I have my dealer scheduled to order that part in so I can fix it after 3 whole days of trying to contact Tesla Singapore via phone, email and every other means.

Their customer support is a joke to say the least and Tesla really needs to do something about it. Knowing very well you are the only support available, can't you be more open to help a fellow tesla customer? I'm not even trying to claim their warranty I know it is not possible but at least offer some support willingly, not after having to argue and make everyone's day unpleasant!

They told me to send my car back to japan to fix my air conditioning (shipping cost is at least 4000USD) in which I asked is it a logical thing to do? Just to fix an air con? The customer support then questioned me is it a logical thing to buy a Tesla in Malaysia? Who the hell talks like that to a customer?

When you import a car that can only be serviced by the manufacturer, this is what you sign up for.

Reactions: JiveDino
Yes, but what I am complaining about is their attitude. What I see is that they have the attitude of since you did not buy your car from us, it is not my problem, go solve your problem yourself. Being the only tesla service in the region, would it kill to provide some solution to a helpless Tesla owner who can't receive support from anywhere else? Their attitude stink which is what I am furious about!

Tesla is not a dealer base manufacturer. It must service your car no matter where you are. Similarly, an iPhone bought in the US and will repaired by Apple in Singapore. It is those terrible car dealer we have that sell cars with cut throat prices and monopolies after sales services. Tesla is the only manufacturer that cuts out these middle man, with no expensive advertisements to spread low pricings to customers. You order your car online and their deliveries are simple affair. Unlike some retailers even throw in a champagne and photography session that is factored into the car price.

This is the biggest load of crap I’ve heard from a service center. I own a Toyota Land Cruiser that I bought in the U.S but can get it serviced anywhere in the world. My buddy has/currently driven his 200 series Land Cruiser from Arizona to Ushuaia, Argentina and serviced his suv at Toyota services centers along the way without issue.

So based on your experience, I can’t drive a Tesla outside of my country and that just seems like a big fail. I wonder if anyone has driven there U.S manufactured Tesla and had it serviced in Canada…

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has driven there U.S manufactured Tesla and had it serviced in Canada…

I asked this same question in a post as I'm near the border and wasn't sure if the Canadian service centers were allowed to service vehicles sold in the US.

The answer (from Canadian owners) was YES, they do service US owner's vehicles.

I suspect this Singapore service center is just playing defense. Singapore Teslas come from China. I can't find confirmation but I *think* Japan's Teslas also come from China. No great reason they can't service your vehicle either way.

I asked this same question in a post as I'm near the border and wasn't sure if the Canadian service centers were allowed to service vehicles sold in the US.

The answer (from Canadian owners) was YES, they do service US owner's vehicles.

I suspect this Singapore service center is just playing defense. Singapore Teslas come from China. I can't find confirmation but I *think* Japan's Teslas also come from China. No great reason they can't service your vehicle either way.
I do find it odd why someone would import a Tesla from another country, especially when they are made close to home.