Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
Done a search but couldn’t find anything on this

Have a Tesla Model 3 that was imported from abroad. Car is brand new but sustained damage to the windscreen so ended up being removed from stock and sold in auction.

Now the car is in my ownership and I’ve had it pretty much from almost 0 miles.

I called tesla to register the car and they said because the car was a ‘total loss’ for them that they will not be willing to let me register the car to my account. I was given outright refusal and wasn’t given an option to discuss with any senior or manager when requested.

Their online form doesn’t let me provide my documentation either it just outright says the vehicle can’t be transferred

The car is registered and I’m now driving it daily.

Has anyone else ever heard of this situation before?

Total loss from a damaged wind screen on a model 3? Unlikely. There’s more to that story. Can you return it?
They considered it a total loss as the windscreen damage was caused during the vehicle was transported to stock, somehow a deal was reached where the insurer paid for and auctioned the car unregistered. I believe Tesla registered it as a Total Loss on their side due to that. The car does not show any signs of past history, all the stickers and seals that should be removed during delivery/pre-sale check (interior and exterior) were still on the car, I've removed some of them but most of them are still on the car.

The seller is a business so if I had to force return the vehicle I would imagine that it would be possible, but I do intend to try to resolve this with Tesla before going to that stage as I would prefer to keep the car.

What does the Title say? Is it a salvage vehicle? If so, you’re probably out of luck. If not, I’m not sure how they can keep you from registering it with Tesla. It’s either salvaged or it’s not and I would guess that the state and Tesla need to match.

The seller is a business so if I had to force return the vehicle I would imagine that it would be possible, but I do intend to try to resolve this with Tesla before going to that stage as I would prefer to keep the car.

Doesnt sound like you have much options, other than to go back to the seller.

No car gets totaled because of just a windshield. You need to look into that "somehow a deal was struck" part, because there IS no need for "a deal" to repair a windshield. Thats a part that costs $1000 and is repaired on all vehicles, tesla or otherwise, 100s of times a day across the car industry.

"The windscreen" is not why it was totaled, regardless of whatever whoever is running the business of buying distressed cars and selling them told you. As for recourse, perhaps you can engage a lawyer and have them check into it. If your question is, "Is there some place people know to escalate issues like this"? The answer is "no, we have no knowledge around escalating anything inside of Tesla outside of whatever you find through teslas official channels, which is basically nothing".

They considered it a total loss as the windscreen damage was caused during the vehicle was transported to stock, somehow a deal was reached where the insurer paid for and auctioned the car unregistered. I believe Tesla registered it as a Total Loss on their side due to that. The car does not show any signs of past history, all the stickers and seals that should be removed during delivery/pre-sale check (interior and exterior) were still on the car, I've removed some of them but most of them are still on the car.

If you buy the car from a third party then (1) it is not new; (2) generally, you have no way to verify the story the seller tells you; (3) if Tesla has removed the car as a total loss then Tesla is not going to back it up with warranty/support/updates for (a) the damages (undisclosed to you) were deems to be significant enough to declare the total loss or (b) repairs being done by a party unknown to or not certified by Tesla.

No car gets totaled because of just a windshield. You need to look into that "somehow a deal was struck" part, because there IS no need for "a deal" to repair a windshield. Thats a part that costs $1000 and is repaired on all vehicles, tesla or otherwise, 100s of times a day across the car industry.

"The windscreen" is not why it was totaled, regardless of whatever whoever is running the business of buying distressed cars and selling them told you. As for recourse, perhaps you can engage a lawyer and have them check into it. If your question is, "Is there some place people know to escalate issues like this"? The answer is "no, we have no knowledge around escalating anything inside of Tesla outside of whatever you find through teslas official channels, which is basically nothing".
I completely agree. Tesla would replace the windshield at the point of delivery and sell the car as a new undamaged vehicle same day. Tesla would NOT just sell the car as a total loss with windshield as the only part requiring replacement.

I completely agree. Tesla would replace the windshield at the point of delivery and sell the car as a new undamaged vehicle same day. Tesla would NOT just sell the car as a total loss with windshield as the only part requiring replacement.
From what I have been explained and shown (I have some basic documentation on this), the insurance of the transport company paid tesla for the vehicle, and then sold it on via auction, it was not tesla that resold the vehicle. While I would agree that cars get their windshields replaced all the time, when a car is being transported as new to a showroom and gets damaged as a new 0 mileage car, I would imagine the showroom would reject the vehicle and some dispute would have been made with the transporter/insurance.

As I mentioned earlier, the car is not registered as totaled or anything like that, it's just that Tesla has put it in their records as a total loss

Thanks for everyones feedback and advice so far - I would definitely look at returning the vehicle if it's not resolvable or filing for disclosure from Tesla regarding the vehicles history on their side so I can have factual information for the follow up action

From what I have been explained and shown (I have some basic documentation on this), the insurance of the transport company paid tesla for the vehicle, and then sold it on via auction, it was not tesla that resold the vehicle.

That does not matter.
There is no way a transportation insurance company would have paid out Tesla for full value of the car over a glass damage claim. Whomever is telling this story, is lying through is teeth to you.

Something massively bad must have happened to this car, or it was stolen and later recovered.
Either way, Tesla has written it off, and will not "resurrect" its status for you. Good or bad, they have a history of not supporting totaled cars once they get so labeled.

While I would agree that cars get their windshields replaced all the time, when a car is being transported as new to a showroom and gets damaged as a new 0 mileage car, I would imagine the showroom would reject the vehicle and some dispute would have been made with the transporter/insurance.

That is absolutely not the case.
Transportation damage is regularly repaired by all OEMs, including Tesla. To the tune of tens of thousands of dollars, if necessary.
I can tell you detailed stories of how that works with German automakers, but that would be an overkill. The basic thing you need to realize is that an insurance company would NEVER pay out full value of a new vehicle, unless it is truly and absolutely totaled. Flooding. for example, would be one such scenario where damage is extensive, but not readily observable from a cursory inspection. Theft is another.

If you were sold a totaled USED vehicle (it is used by definition, since you did not buy it from an OEM), you were swindled.
Take legal action against the seller, ASAP.

Good luck!

From what I have been explained and shown (I have some basic documentation on this), the insurance of the transport company paid tesla for the vehicle, and then sold it on via auction, it was not tesla that resold the vehicle. While I would agree that cars get their windshields replaced all the time, when a car is being transported as new to a showroom and gets damaged as a new 0 mileage car, I would imagine the showroom would reject the vehicle and some dispute would have been made with the transporter/insurance.

Not for a windshield. New cars are damaged in transit ALL THE TIME. If the damage is below a certain threshhold, they dont even have to disclose it, and the windscreen / windshield is absolutely below that threshhold.

Not for a windshield. New cars are damaged in transit ALL THE TIME. If the damage is below a certain threshhold, they dont even have to disclose it, and the windscreen / windshield is absolutely below that threshhold.

That. It is most likely something that "could" be problematic for Tesla so they don't want to deal with it. It may not be replaced because it could be working fine for now. It could something as simple as the battery was completely drained for too long during transport or something else. But if Tesla registered the car is salvaged, I don't know what else you could do. If you can't register it with Tesla, you can't supercharge it as well right?

Reactions: quak
I would definitely look at returning the vehicle

If you plan on using any of the "tesla" features like the app, supercharging, etc, you should do the above sooner rather than later and pick another vehicle. Its EXTREMELY unlikely that tesla is going to change its position. That is just as unlikely as it is that the car was totaled because the windshield needed to be replaced.

There is absolutely, positively, some other reason this car was written off by tesla. Its also my guess that the seller who sold it to you either knows this, or doesnt care and just buys "distressed" vehicles and re sells them. I would be completely surprised if there wasnt something in your purchase paperwork about the car being sold "as is", so I am going to be surprised if you are able to return it as well (without lawyer intervention, and perhaps not even then).

Anyone in the business of reselling distressed vehicles either has all their bases covered so they dont have to take stuff back, or wouldnt be in business very long.

If you plan on using any of the "tesla" features like the app, supercharging, etc, you should do the above sooner rather than later and pick another vehicle. Its EXTREMELY unlikely that tesla is going to change its position. That is just as unlikely as it is that the car was totaled because the windshield needed to be replaced.

There is absolutely, positively, some other reason this car was written off by tesla. Its also my guess that the seller who sold it to you either knows this, or doesnt care and just buys "distressed" vehicles and re sells them. I would be completely surprised if there wasnt something in your purchase paperwork about the car being sold "as is", so I am going to be surprised if you are able to return it as well (without lawyer intervention, and perhaps not even then).

Anyone in the business of reselling distressed vehicles either has all their bases covered so they dont have to take stuff back, or wouldnt be in business very long.
I've managed to reach out to a company that have agreed to dig into this and provide me a report, hopefully I should have this within the next few days

I'm also interested to have this information whether it is in my benefit or not - as it could be quite strong info for either challenging Tesla directly or the seller that I bought the vehicle from

Reactions: alexgr and Hebert
I've managed to reach out to a company that have agreed to dig into this and provide me a report, hopefully I should have this within the next few days I'm also interested to have this information whether it is in my benefit or not - as it could be quite strong info for either challenging Tesla directly or the seller that I bought the vehicle from

I am afraid you are seriously kidding yourself.
1). There is absolutely NOTHING that you can find that will allow you to successfully challenge Tesla.
2). There is no way in hell that the seller will share anything with you that will empower to you challenge the legitimacy of their shady sale. Unless they are totally and irretrievably inept.

Good luck either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.