Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've managed to reach out to a company that have agreed to dig into this and provide me a report, hopefully I should have this within the next few days

I'm also interested to have this information whether it is in my benefit or not - as it could be quite strong info for either challenging Tesla directly or the seller that I bought the vehicle from

I agree with others who feel that the issue was very likely more than just a windshield (windscreen) replacement. However, I suppose it’s possible that there was some sort of data entry error i.e., car was accidentally flagged as salvage/total loss in Tesla's system when it was meant to be something else. Mistakes and glitches do occur but even if that's the case, it may be an uphill battle to prove/correct.

A legit report from the company you bought from will hopefully answer some of these questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
IMO a Tesla without supercharging, access to Telsa support/services, and no app access is a bit of a dud. Might be worth it if it's just a spare car. Either it's still worth it to you or like many have advised you should start figuring out how return it asap, if that's even an option.

I am afraid you are seriously kidding yourself.
1). There is absolutely NOTHING that you can find that will allow you to successfully challenge Tesla.
2). There is no way in hell that the seller will share anything with you that will empower to you challenge the legitimacy of their shady sale. Unless they are totally and irretrievably inept.

Good luck either way.
I don't think I've mentioned anywhere that the seller will be sharing with me any of this information?

You do seem to be quite passionate about this in a very odd way, do you work for Tesla at all?

Reactions: Gu$ G
I agree with others who feel that the issue was very likely more than just a windshield (windscreen) replacement. However, I suppose it’s possible that there was some sort of data entry error i.e., car was accidentally flagged as salvage/total loss in Tesla's system when it was meant to be something else. Mistakes and glitches do occur but even if that's the case, it may be an uphill battle to prove/correct.

A legit report from the company you bought from will hopefully answer some of these questions.
The company I've reached out to is an independent company that is compiling a vehicle investigation report for the country the car was originally planned to be sold in - they said they can look into any insurance records related and will establish contact with any of the parties they can identify to request further information.

They'll be providing me a basic report within the next few days and said that depending on if any parties need to be contacted that they will provide updates as and when these become available.

The info that they will provide me will be quite valuable for which ever side I have to deal with this. i.e. tesla or seller.

I think a few people here are missing the fact that the car, although used, is actually 'new'.

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
The company I've reached out to is an independent company that is compiling a vehicle investigation report for the country the car was originally planned to be sold in - they said they can look into any insurance records related and will establish contact with any of the parties they can identify to request further information.

They'll be providing me a basic report within the next few days and said that depending on if any parties need to be contacted that they will provide updates as and when these become available.

The info that they will provide me will be quite valuable for which ever side I have to deal with this. i.e. tesla or seller.

I think a few people here are missing the fact that the car, although used, is actually 'new'.

I'm not sure how things work in the UK but once a car is considered totaled in the U.S., it is titled (with a "salvage" title) and therefore is no longer new and can't be sold as new.

It just seems unusual that they would "total" a car due to a windshield (windscreen) replacement but perhaps some of rules/regulations/procedures related to this for manufacturers, dealers, insurance, registrations, salvage classifications, etc. are different across the pond.

I'm not sure how things work in the UK but once a car is considered totaled in the U.S., it is titled (with a "salvage" title) and therefore is no longer new and can't be sold as new.

It just seems unusual that they would "total" a car due to a windshield (windscreen) replacement but perhaps some of rules/regulations/procedures related to this for manufacturers, dealers, insurance, registrations, salvage classifications, etc. are different across the pond.
I did buy it as used although the car still had its original plastic seals, stickers and covers on it from factory and the mileage close to 0 - but yes, there are salvage categories in the country but the car has not been assigned one (what I would expect for the type of damage that was disclosed) and it's title is completely clear here. I'm just waiting for the report to confirm if there are any salvage titles or any undisclosed info in the other country that the car originated from, hopefully once these are available then I will have the correct picture of the situation if it's any different than what I've been told.

There is a document called the MSO--Manufacturer's Statement of Origin--that is the "birth certificate" for a new car. It's required before any state will issue a title, at least here in the US.

I find it odd that Tesla would issue an MSO for a car they deemed a total loss in shipping.

Something's not right here; we look forward to how this will be resolved, and what the actual damage may have been to your "new but used" Tesla.

Reactions: Gu$ G
Agreed, there is either something I'm not aware about or there is something that Tesla has done that shouldn't have been done
This seems to be going in circles. If Tesla wrote the car off they wrote the car off. There's nothing "shouldn't" about that. It's their car and they can do with it what they want, including sell the resulting wreck at auction for parts. If someone else buys it and builds a frankencar to sell, then lies to the buyer that it's a "new" car, that's not on Tesla.

What seems to have happened here is that you simply got scammed. Someone took a wreck way under value and unloaded it on you as if it were a new car. (Or potentially the dealer you got it from was the original victim, etc...).

Reactions: afadeev
I did buy it as used although the car still had its original plastic seals, stickers and covers on it from factory and the mileage close to 0 - but yes, there are salvage categories in the country but the car has not been assigned one (what I would expect for the type of damage that was disclosed) and it's title is completely clear here. I'm just waiting for the report to confirm if there are any salvage titles or any undisclosed info in the other country that the car originated from, hopefully once these are available then I will have the correct picture of the situation if it's any different than what I've been told.

Here in the U.S., scammers sometimes have titles illegally changed from "salvage" to "clean" when moving cars from state to state and I'm sure something similar could happen when a car is transferred from one country to another. They call it title laundering or title washing.

If this car was actually totaled by Tesla (and it's not a mistake due to data error/glitch), then it should have been salvage titled but I guess you'll just how to wait and see what you can learn. Hopefully things will work out for you.

This seems to be going in circles. If Tesla wrote the car off they wrote the car off. There's nothing "shouldn't" about that. It's their car and they can do with it what they want, including sell the resulting wreck at auction for parts. If someone else buys it and builds a frankencar to sell, then lies to the buyer that it's a "new" car, that's not on Tesla.

What seems to have happened here is that you simply got scammed. Someone took a wreck way under value and unloaded it on you as if it were a new car. (Or potentially the dealer you got it from was the original victim, etc...).
I think you've missed a lot of information that was shared here, tesla didn't write the car off - the car was taken from Tesla by the insurer/transporter and sold on.

There is no 'frankencar', I've now got the auction documents (and photos) in my hands and its correct as the seller has stated.

I've also now got the status documents for the country of origin, and they also show the car was never written off.

I will take this up with tesla directly

Last edited:
Here in the U.S., scammers sometimes have titles illegally changed from "salvage" to "clean" when moving cars from state to state and I'm sure something similar could happen when a car is transferred from one country to another. They call it title laundering or title washing.
The UK has some pretty strict salvage vehicle ‘classes’.
The USA has NMVTIS.
This case seems pretty cut and dry, googling the VIN will show auction docs, vehicles get bought by trucking companies all the time to avoid insurance premiums going up for said trucking company due to a negligent operator hauling vehicles. These vehicles sometimes aren’t fixed and are sold at auction, these vehicles can retain their clean title if bought by an authorized dealer and fixed or sold unfixed to their customer(sounds like this is 100% what happened here).

Reactions: quak
Is it possible that Tesla is refusing to register the car to your account not because of the damage and/or resale, but instead due to the fact it was never intended to be sold in the UK?
I was curious about this as well, as I've have since received an email from Tesla that stated the car is 'unsupported' rather than 'salvage' or a 'total loss', either conflicting information or an official term that they use for correspondence.

Last edited:
vehicles get bought by trucking companies all the time to avoid insurance premiums going up for said trucking company due to a negligent operator hauling vehicles. These vehicles sometimes aren’t fixed and are sold at auction, these vehicles can retain their clean title if bought by an authorized dealer and fixed or sold unfixed to their customer(sounds like this is 100% what happened here).
... what?
Selling a car (not necessarily Tesla) on an auction "as is" will result in an imminent loss to the trucking company. This loss, logistics expenses, and the money locked in the process are VERY UNLICKLY to over-weigh the cash payment to the client to fix the damage in case the company doesn't want to file the insurance claim. Where did you get your info that the trucking companies are buying damaged cars ALL THE TIME?

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I think you've missed a lot of information that was shared here, tesla didn't write the car off - the car was taken from Tesla by the insurer/transporter and sold on.

There is no 'frankencar', I've now got the auction documents (and photos) in my hands and its correct as the seller has stated.

I've also now got the status documents for the country of origin, and they also show the car was never written off.

I will take this up with tesla directly
quak, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, on top of the fact that the Model 3 is such a great car. Sometimes these things can just drink you down emotionally and physically. Sounds like you are on the right path. Please keep us informed as we can all learn from your experience.

I was curious about this as well, as I've have since received an email from Tesla that stated the car is 'unsupported' rather than 'salvage' or a 'total loss', either conflicting information or an official term that they use for documentation.
If your location is UK, the steering wheel on your car must be on the right side. If your car came from another country, that country must be (most likely) Australia (less likely Japan). Is that correct? If your car has the steering wheel on the left side and you are in UK, then it totally makes sense that Tesla refuses to support your car. What is your car's country of original sale?

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Status
Not open for further replies.