Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Remote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, is the Tesla Remote App worth $9.99 ? Didn’t know if I should get it or just use the Tesla App. Thanks.
Yes. It has the best Tesla app for the Apple Watch and gives you a lot more flexibility by using Siri Shortcuts.

The Stats app adds to my phantom drain because it polls data remotely even when you're not using the app. If you read the negative reviews for that app, you'll see that I'm not the only one who notices this, but the app creator refuses to acknowledge it. You know that the Stats app is remotely accessing your car's data because the app is capable of giving notifications when the app isn't even running and also because he clearly collects data from all his users. This means that if you use the Stats app, you are giving that app creator remote access to your vehicle. There's no disclaimer written in the app's description that says that he doesn't keep your car credentials safely secured on his servers. The Remote app never sends data elsewhere other than to Tesla's servers as seen in the app description.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
Yes. It has the best Tesla app for the Apple Watch and gives you a lot more flexibility by using Siri Shortcuts.

The Stats app adds to my phantom drain because it polls data remotely even when you're not using the app. If you read the negative reviews for that app, you'll see that I'm not the only one who notices this, but the app creator refuses to acknowledge it. You know that the Stats app is remotely accessing your car's data because the app is capable of giving notifications when the app isn't even running and also because he clearly collects data from all his users. This means that if you use the Stats app, you are giving that app creator remote access to your vehicle. There's no disclaimer written in the app's description that says that he doesn't keep your car credentials safely secured on his servers. The Remote app never sends data elsewhere other than to Tesla's servers as seen in the app description.
I use the Stats app and the drain is minimal. You'll use way more drain by using Sentry Mode.

Here's the privacy policy for the app so you have accurate information:
https://www.maadotaa.com/privacy
Privacy Policy
Collection of User Credentials
User credentials are stored in the app only and is presented only to Tesla in order to obtain an authentication token. Your Tesla credentials are not visible to us or anyone else. Your credentials are stored securely in iOS KeyChain which uses Apple highly secure encryption algorithm.

Collection of Information Related to the Car
The app collects metrics related to your car (e.g., efficiency, miles driven, outside temperature, charging data, etc). The collected data is used for the sole purpose of being used in this app. Your data is not shared or sold to any third-party. Certain graphs in the app compare your stats with other users of the app. For example, the app compares your efficiency with that of others using a histogram. In these cases, your stats are just used to form a histogram and the identity of your car is not used in the graph that is shown to other users. You can choose not to share your data for the purpose of constructing aggregate statistics using a switch in the settings tab of the app.

Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
MaaDoTaa discloses information related to your car only to those of its employees in order to process it and on the Stats app. Our employees are located in the U.S.A.. By using Stats app, you consent to the transfer of such information to us. We may examine the data only for debugging purposes. We will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to any third-party and your information is used only to present data to you (the user) inside the app. Other than to its employees, as described above, MaaDoTaa discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request. MaaDoTaa takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.

but do you still have to download the app via iphone to the Apple watch? Please explain how do you keep the App on the iphone passive?
1. Buy the app on the phone.
2. My phone automatically installs it on my watch.
3. I put the complication on my watch face.

I don't have to have the app running on my phone to make it work on my watch.

If the car is sleeping, it takes about 15 second for the app to wake it up when I first open the app on my watch.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Stats app is the best in my opinion. It also has Siri shortcuts and a watch compilation. I never experienced any vampire drain with the app. You have to provide your Tesla login credentials for the majority of the apps out there. There may be a few where you can use your own token but I’ve used Stats since last August and it’s always improving and being updated.

Reactions: whatthe2
You can use Siri on Apple watch to open frunk and other things.

id6v14.jpg

I use the Stats app and the drain is minimal.
I don’t believe him when he says that he doesn’t have access to the vehicles. Notice how he says that he doesn’t collect user credentials but never mentioned that he doesn’t collect authentication tokens. The token is all you need to locate and unlock your car.

In addition, in order for notifications to work, a remote server must be able to access your car’s stats to send you a notification that your car is unplugged. You can test this theory out by turning off “background app refresh” and you’ll see that you’ll still get notifications for it. How is that possible if the app isn’t running on the foreground or background? Only way it is possible is that he checks your car’s stats remotely on a server and then sends you a notification to your phone. And every time his server checks your car’s stats, it wakes it up and adds to the vampire drain. And over time, all those drained miles adds up to a lot of wasted electricity just so the developer can collect your car stats.

If you read the last paragraph of what you copied and pasted, the developer admits that he has access to your personally identifying data. That probably includes the location of your car and your car VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808