Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Requires at least 60 days paid insurance to take delivery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody face this issue in NY State? I'm picking my MYLR up tomorrow (Nov 20). My insurance that I uploaded expires Jan 19th. 61 days if you count the pickup day, 60 days if you DON'T count the day I pick it up.

The (newly updated) Tesla App on my phone tells me that my insurance is expiring soon and that I need to upload new proof. Also...I'm transferring plates from my trade-in, so I won't be getting temporary tags.

I just called the SC and asked, and he told me to not pay any attention and that I'll be fine. Of course, my pickup day is a Saturday, which means my insurance company will be closed, so if there truly is an issue, I'm screwed.

Thoughts?

So I just ran into this as I'm guessing many have. Might not be state dependent. I have a VIN and my pickup date is Sept 9th and my insurance expires on Sept 29th. I called my insurance and they said I couldn't get a new policy for the tesla until I actually have it, even though they registered my VIN and gave me an ID card for the current policy ending Sept 29. I could pay ahead for the next 6 months but he said that wouldn't get me a new id card for the car I don't have yet. I got past this in the app by uploading my current insurance and just typing in the date that my policy would expire next year. I plan to call Tesla next to see what they want me to do.

So I just ran into this as I'm guessing many have. Might not be state dependent. I have a VIN and my pickup date is Sept 9th and my insurance expires on Sept 29th. I called my insurance and they said I couldn't get a new policy for the tesla until I actually have it, even though they registered my VIN and gave me an ID card for the current policy ending Sept 29. I could pay ahead for the next 6 months but he said that wouldn't get me a new id card for the car I don't have yet. I got past this in the app by uploading my current insurance and just typing in the date that my policy would expire next year. I plan to call Tesla next to see what they want me to do.
Im in the same boat. My insurance had to manually send me proof of insurance pdf to send to Tesla since it doesnt activate until my pickup date. I also had a renewal date of end of next month and Im picking up my car this Saturday. I called Tesla and waited for about an hour and a half on hold. Ask the lady that my current insurance doesnt renew until the end of next month (I pay in full every six months) and I dont meet the 60 day required that Tesla app wants. She told me not to worry about it and I should be fine. I guess Ill find out this weekend.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgbehrends