Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 75D import to NZ from UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This link to YouTube shows how to replace the modem component of the MCU once it’s taken out of the car.
It shows the location of the SIM within the MCU as well and promises a link to another video showing how to remove the MCU itself. There are a number of YT videos showing how to remove the MCU like this one in any case.
If the car is already on its way I would go to Auckland service and ask nicely for them to put in a NZ SIM for you, but be ready for a flat no.
A competent mechanic should be able to do this for you if all else fails.
Thank you so much for this help. I'm hoping I can stop the sale of the car and give up on this idea of import

I've had plenty of fellow Tesla Model S drivers have suspension issues, I personally went through an MCU, 3x door handles, sunroof issues (2x times), failed seat bolts on drivers seat (new based required), fraying seat belts (other issues also) on my Model S before I sold (all covered under warranty)....Tesla did a great job etc., but since it's unlikely Tesla would help you out you could end up with a "bricked" car.

MCU
The MCU failing is a known issue with Model S's all the way up until Mid-2016, I think, although a failed MCU could happen on any Tesla (I believe someone with a 2020 Model S just recently on this very forum had to have their MCU replaced)….and yes it’s the whole screen that has to be replaced.

Door Handles
On a Model S the door handles auto-present, sometimes they won't pop out or wont retract....can cause all sorts of issues including not being able to open the door.
It is a Dec 2017 model with only 13K miles on it and beautifully presented and has air suspension. But I would also think that the Enhanced Autopilot would fail to work without the NZ maps and connectivity?

It is a Dec 2017 model with only 13K miles on it and beautifully presented and has air suspension. But I would also think that the Enhanced Autopilot would fail to work without the NZ maps and connectivity?
I recall a major telstra sim outage a year or two ago. Although I didnt write down all the issues, it was annoying enough for me to pair my phone to the car to get connectivity.
The other thing you would not get would be app connectivity as its tesla controlled, so no moving your car from the phone, turning on the aircon in the middle of summer, or unlocking without the key. I also use the app to set charging at home.

I think you would be correct with that assumption....around early 2016 all Model S came with "only" air suspension...my late 2015 Model S I elected to install air suspension.....

There are quite a few imported model S in NZ, imported before Tesla opened locally
Carl Barlev from Electric Vehicles - Rentals, Experience, Service & Sales - Blue Cars Ltd - New Zealand
He used to rent out his left hand drive model S which he imported into NZ
No issues with navigation/maps with his car, I think he said he had the SIM card changed
Might pay to try contacting him to find out about importing and owning none NZ Tesla in NZ
You should be able to contact him via the website. He's very helpful and very passionate about EV's

This will give you some idea of second hand prices of Tesla in NZ
there are some older personally imported model S listed
tesla for sale, New Zealand - TradeMe.co.nz

Last edited:
Fortunately the company I bought the car from have been kind enough to stop the sale and refund the money. thank you Adam from Portland Autos in Doncaster. He was as surprised as I was to learn that these fantastic IT techno cars are incapable to doing something as obvious as coping with changing countries. I think it speaks for the insular attitude of the USA that they dont think about this as an important issue. Thanks all for saving my veritable.

Fortunately the company I bought the car from have been kind enough to stop the sale and refund the money. thank you Adam from Portland Autos in Doncaster. He was as surprised as I was to learn that these fantastic IT techno cars are incapable to doing something as obvious as coping with changing countries. I think it speaks for the insular attitude of the USA that they dont think about this as an important issue. Thanks all for saving my veritable.
I’m not aware of any manufacturer that makes a universal one car fits all countries

Reactions: Hovean