Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S navigation screen goes black while backing up

JW500

Mar 21, 2020
California
2020 Tesla S Long Range. Recently, I started the car to back out of the garage. The screen showed the navigation and music system, etc. I put the car in reverse and rather than have the cameras come on, the view screen went black entirely. I was still able to back up stopped after a short distance. I tried to shift the car to drive to return to the driveway since the screen still did not come on, but it would not shift gears. I pressed the button to put in park, but it would not go into park.

I then rebooted using the two scroll wheels. Although the screen stayed black, I was able to shift to drive and move forward back into the garage and shift into park. I then waited a minute or so and the view screen finally showed a T to indicate it was rebooting and finally rebooted back to the navigation screen. After that, the car performed normally.

In other post I read that this type of issue (screen going black while driving) does not affect driving, but from this experience I question that since initially I was not able to shift gears until I rebooted.

JW500

Mar 21, 2020
California
Did you happen to have the Sirius XM bug where it disappeared entirely from your audio system (even the free channel) last month? I got an update to fix that and wonder if it could be related.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC