Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sentry cam has a serious flaw.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It records my car being dinged but misses a few seconds of crucial video including the other cars plate number as the footage moves from 1 file to another.

Is there any way to get the few seconds of missing video?

Unfortunately not. The way the files are being written, there is a gap between when it closes one file and starts the next.

Technically, there is no reason for it to do it the way it does, but, that's how Tesla programmed it.

Your best bet would be to look on the drive and, assuming you haven't already driven more than an hour since the incident, see if you can look through the 1 hour rolling footage to see the vehicle if they had pulled in within the past hour, or, even if you had parked while they were already there and your recording may have their plate on it.

Unfortunately not. The way the files are being written, there is a gap between when it closes one file and starts the next.

Technically, there is no reason for it to do it the way it does, but, that's how Tesla programmed it.

Your best bet would be to look on the drive and, assuming you haven't already driven more than an hour since the incident, see if you can look through the 1 hour rolling footage to see the vehicle if they had pulled in within the past hour, or, even if you had parked while they were already there and your recording may have their plate on it.
Thanks checked that. I parked after her and my dashcam footage got blurry (maybe sun) just as I was parking and its impossible to even make out 1 number on the plate.
I am thinking of posting the video of her hitting my car. Seeing it and then pulling out. Maybe someone in the Toronto area recognizes her.
excellent footage of her face.

Just get a real dashcam (front / back) setup. Yes I know it has cameras but a dedicated system will not have these problems. I use sentry mode but also have a nice front and back dashcam setup (blackvue dr900s-2ch), it just seems like you can't 100% rely on the built in system.
My wife's car has a nextbase 522gw w/ the rear camera setup as well. You can get that setup for under 450$ installed at Bestbuy (which did a really good job that surprised me).