Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service station rewords reported issues on purpose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my newish car in to get a panel gap / door alignment fixed. I supplied photos & worded my description as such:
Passenger side rear door curvatures inset from rear wheel panel. Curvatures of door and rear wheel panel not matching.

On the estimate, tesla wrote down “passenger rear door black plastic trim not aligned”.

Is this their way of ignoring a larger issue or them thinking getting better trim alignment will take car of the contours not aligning. They put tape on the areas where curvature did not match. But who knows if it was removed after I left. I plan to ask tesla via the service appointment message
system but it is not working today. PSNGR_rear_door_not_flush.jpg

Thats their way of taking customers usually "too wordy" descriptions into something that the techs fixing the issue are used to seeing. There isnt any need to contact them about that, unless, or until whatever issue you reported is not fixed.

Every car repair center does that. If you take your car into a BMW dealer and give them a paragraph description of a problem you are having, when you look a the repair invoice it will have been boiled down to 1 sentence.

I feel like I have typed this entire post before, but can't find it.

OEM'S use menu's like we have when selecting issues in the Tesla App, but obviously more detailed and specific focused on repair for behind the scenes. They use this data to see where issues are coming from. So they use like a drop-down menu with various issues like customer states....then they are often designated with a numerical or character that you and I don't see anything but it's explaining where the issue is on the car so when they go back and compile it.

If we had a paragraph for every single person that had an issue, home office looking at the data wouldn't be able to compile it and see those issues as easily.

The only thing I'm always very careful about and everyone should be is something that you mention to any car OEM that did not appear on the invoice. And then coming to pick it up they said oh yeah we looked at that. That doesn't fly and that won't fly when a warranty issues comes up two years later. Yours seems to be cosmetic. Less of a warranty issue.

Document, and if you don't like the way the words are stated, ask them to change them. Nicely of course.
I

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thats their way of taking customers usually "too wordy" descriptions into something that the techs fixing the issue are used to seeing. There isnt any need to contact them about that, unless, or until whatever issue you reported is not fixed.

Every car repair center does that. If you take your car into a BMW dealer and give them a paragraph description of a problem you are having, when you look a the repair invoice it will have been boiled down to 1 sentence.
The issue he reported has nothing to do with the black plastic trim... but that is what they changed his service request too... I don't see how they will fix his door alignment issue if they work on the black plastic trim under the door.

Keith

The issue he reported has nothing to do with the black plastic trim... but that is what they changed his service request too... I don't see how they will fix his door alignment issue if they work on the black plastic trim under the door.

Keith
when I pointed out the issue of the panels not being flush, the service advisor put the tape on the door trim. I expressed my concern that the crew might focus too much on the black plastic trim (which didn’t bother me too much) and not know that I care a lot about getting the neighboring panels to be flush. He said fixing the plastic trim would also correct the panels not being flush. However, afterwards he did put some tape along the areas where they are not flush and wrote some words on the tape placed on the black plastic trim and then wrote some words on the new pieces of tape. I Couldn’t read it myself. Perhaps a way to indicate all three pieces of tape relate to same issue.