Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Wiped Sentry USB Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped off Y yesterday to fix some
Issues with trim and tail light alignment, and to my surprise I found my USB drive unplugged and in my cup holder.

Figured no big deal they removed it so there was no recording while it was in service (even though why they would do this at all is a little sketchy...what are you hiding?)

To my surprise they went through the effort to wipe the whole drive...even stuff I had on there before the service.

Is this normal? Feels a bit invasive and like they were trying to hide something.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
He said they wiped the whole drive. I agree, seems pretty invasive.
The way I interpret OP's statement is that there were previous Teslacam recordings (from prior to the service visit) that were also deleted; not that there were files outside of the Teslacam folder that were also deleted:
To my surprise they went through the effort to wipe the whole drive...even stuff I had on there before the service.

A techie person would use "whole drive" to refer to the entire storage device; a lay person may use that term to refer to the folder where all the recordings are stored (because there's nothing other than the Teslacam folder on that drive). Not that I think it's alright to delete any files on a customer's drive, but deleting files outside of the Teslacam folder would have been far more egregious. Only the OP can answer which had occurred.

Last edited: