Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center left my car blinker on overnight at their yard.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I'm curious what the actual behavior is. Feels like the signals would stop once the car is off. Hazard lights, I'd expect them to work independently of the lock state.
They stay on forever (well until LV runs out actually) if not turned off via the button.

Imaging having to stop on the highway, turning hazards on to make your car visible to others, leave the situation to safe distance and the car locks and turns the hazards off.

Wouldnā€™t exactly be what you want in this situation, right?

They stay on forever (well until LV runs out actually) if not turned off via the button.

Imaging having to stop on the highway, turning hazards on to make your car visible to others, leave the situation to safe distance and the car locks and turns the hazards off.

Wouldnā€™t exactly be what you want in this situation, right?

I think you misread my post; I expect the hazard lights to be controlled by the button, independent of the vehicle state. I'd expect individual left/right turn signals to turn off, even if they're "left on" and you've exited and locked the car.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I think you misread my post; I expect the hazard lights to be controlled by the button, independent of the vehicle state. I'd expect individual left/right turn signals to turn off, even if they're "left on" and you've exited and locked the car.
My bad, I assumed youā€™d be talking about the hazards since thatā€™s what the OP described. I donā€™t know what the indicators would do, but I assume they would stay on if not triggered by one of the factors that turn them off (steering wheel returns to straight or lane change completed), similar to headlightswhen switched to manual on.

Reactions: ngng
True story. Installed a blinking led from Radio Shack on my shed as a theft deterrent back in 1994. It flashed constantly 24hrs a day. Finally got removed it when I decided to put new aluminum siding on the shed which was 4 years ago. Bottom line is, that led was flashing 24/7 for 26 years and was still operational.
radio shack was gone though.

Most LEDs seem to have an advertised lifespan of about 25,000 hours. If it's blinking at a 50% duty cycle for 24 hours... keeping in mind that the LED only lights when signaling, those LEDs will outlive and probalby your kids you and definitely outlive the car.

Most LEDs seem to have an advertised lifespan of about 25,000 hours. If it's blinking at a 50% duty cycle for 24 hours... keeping in mind that the LED only lights when signaling, those LEDs will outlive and probalby your kids you and definitely outlive the car.
I know with some electronics (and some incandescent lights), the issue isnā€™t just with it being on, but how often it switches on/off.

I donā€™t know if LEDs also suffer any ill effects from the switching. Anyone seen any case studies on it? Maybe some effect, just not significant?

That being saidā€¦ itā€™s amazing this thread is still going on. I tried putting myself in the shoes of someone finding their car in a service lot, with the lights flashing all night long. The only thing I feel like I might do is wonder why theyā€™re doing that.

If I was told what the OP was told, then Iā€™d thinkā€¦ I guess it works (for them).

Additionallyā€¦ Iā€™d be more concerned(?) about whatever reason my car is at the service center forā€¦ especially if itā€™s like the OPā€™s brand new with only 87 miles.

I wanted to thank you to each and every one of you for your invaluable feedback, both positive, negative and some non-sense :). Your insights and experiences shared here have been incredibly helpful improving knowledge base.

Often overlooked, this aspect of car ownership is critical for ensuring safety, longevity, and optimal performance.
Thank you all for your participation and contributions. Let's continue to strive towards safer and more reliable journeys on the road ahead.

I wanted to thank you to each and every one of you for your invaluable feedback, both positive, negative and some non-sense :). Your insights and experiences shared here have been incredibly helpful improving knowledge base.

Often overlooked, this aspect of car ownership is critical for ensuring safety, longevity, and optimal performance.
Thank you all for your participation and contributions. Let's continue to strive towards safer and more reliable journeys on the road ahead.
Thanks for opening the discussion and being a good sport! Enjoy your car...