Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service installed 4 new tires on Model S but a few days later I noticed a vibration at high speeds so asked them to check balance. They sent an invoice for $742 for approval, included $275x2 for alignment check, $212 for suspension noise!! I cannot get them to explain the charges and cannot make an appt without approving the invoice. What happened with these guys used to be pretty good but things have gone down hill. Any suggestions? I think the will trump up some charges and bill me for few hundred dollars.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
A few questions:

• Did you experience a vibration on your old tires?
  • Did you have a new tire model installed or did you have the same as what you previously had?
  • Was there any abnormal wear on the old tires?
  • How many miles did you old set last?
  • Did Tesla Service do a road force balance?

I've never had Tesla install a new set of tires and I've never had to pay for an alignment. The one time I had it done was after they replaced my drive unit under warranty. My tires have always worn evenly and got 60K miles without rotating the old set on our S85 RWD. However, we do experience a little skwiggle/shimmy while on the freeway from time to time. The rain grooves on the road and the tread on the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s aren't exactly compatible.

Your first mistake was going to the dealership for tires. Buy them off tire rack and have your local Indy shop do the mount/balance/install.

Also since you're in So-Cal anytime you need an alignment got to 714 tires. It's $120 for a 4 wheel alignment and they do great work, that's where I went after I installed all my N2itive parts and they set the spec to exactly what I told them to.

Reactions: Russell
How much additional cabin noise did you notice after you replaced the Tesla specific model tire with standard ones that did not have the foam inserts? Or are you able to source the Tesla tire through Tire Rack? Just curious. I can confirm that Tesla always asks for approval of a priced repair even when all parties know it is a warranty issue. The discussion starts when you go to pick up your car. I just recently this experience. The charge was waived.

Cincy

Tesla service installed 4 new tires on Model S but a few days later I noticed a vibration at high speeds so asked them to check balance. They sent an invoice for $742 for approval, included $275x2 for alignment check, $212 for suspension noise!! I cannot get them to explain the charges and cannot make an appt without approving the invoice. What happened with these guys used to be pretty good but things have gone down hill. Any suggestions? I think the will trump up some charges and bill me for few hundred dollars.
Most 3rd party shops are cheaper than Tesla. I went to Goodyear for tires. Tesla builds the cars as fast as they can, they don't stop the line when there' s
a problem they let the SC do the fix and then they try to tell you warranty doesn't cover problem/defect.

How much additional cabin noise did you notice after you replaced the Tesla specific model tire with standard ones that did not have the foam inserts? Or are you able to source the Tesla tire through Tire Rack? Just curious. I can confirm that Tesla always asks for approval of a priced repair even when all parties know it is a warranty issue. The discussion starts when you go to pick up your car. I just recently this experience. The charge was waived.

Cincy
You can buy the tires with the foam liner from tire rack but they are unnecessary and don't do anything useful.
Also if you buy tires from Joe snuffy tire shop and your motor goes out under warranty Tesla is required to honor the warranty unless they can prove in court that the tires you installed caused the motor to fail. Just for example the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects us from stupid crap like this that companies try to pull