Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXP 2023 ISSUE PARTIALLY SOLVED.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had issue with steering yoke vibration at 65 MPHand higher.

Multiple tire swaps, wheel set swaps and road force balance attempts didn't address the issue. Also alignment was done without addressing the issue. Finally was told by SC that they suspension engineering team is "working on the fix" and that they will contact me. Vibration persisted and really took away the joy of ownership. I wrote a letter to Tesla corporate and asked them to buy back the car "as they exhausted reasonable number of attempts to fix warrantable issue" ( I opted out of arbitration). After this they took a car for service for 4 weeks. That's what was done:

"Repair Notes: Test drove vehicle and verified vibration present around 75 mph. Performed a balance check of all wheels and verified wheels are all within acceptable balance. Removed customer wheels and installed a known good set. Test drove and verified vibration is still present. Test drove vehicle in the air and verified the front right axle has lateral movement at higher speeds. Requested additional assistance for diagnosis: per diag removed and replaced both front hub assemblies, front right axle and both control arms on the front right side. Assembled vehicle and test drove, verified vibration still present. Removed and inspected the front drive unit: verified no visual issues present with drive unit. Replaced drive unit and performed all required tasks after replacement. Performed an extended test drive and verified vehicle no longer vibrates at speeds about 79-89 MPH. Advise w/ customer: there is still a slight vibration present at higher speeds but this is within normal acceptance for vehicle operation."

Intermittent vibration is still present at 75 mph plus. Frustrating. However it is by 60-75% better - I have Ford Raptor with 37 package and large off road tires - it has less road vibration than my MXP post repair. Don at N2Itive thought it might have to do with angle of front drive unit. Also - I traded my 2022 MXP for 2023 unit (wish I have not done it) and 2022 didn't have this issue. Immediately after delivery of 2023 I found out that Tesla was doing alignment and front tire balancing prior to delivery (this was not disclosed to me prior to delivery) - I find this tactics to be sketchy and it makes me question if they are aware of the issue and still try to sell these defective units to customers.

I took delivery of a 2023 MXP 10 days ago and I have not driven it nearly enough to notice but there’re no vibrations at speed in a couple of short drives I did, not more than my model Y. However , there was a vibration in the wheel when the car is “cold” and about to start a drive on one occasion but disappeared quickly. Not bothered by it but concerned all these vibration threads will make me overly focused on looking for vibrations. I wonder if lowering links helps, some in the model S forums have said it does. These vibrations have driven quite a few people mad in model S forum too, but the speeds and characteristics seem to vary by year. Over there the consensus seems 2021 cars didn’t have it but 2022 do at 40-50mph. And the above 75mph vibration seems to be exclusively a 2023 issue.

Also I’m very skeptical of the claims made by the sellers of 3rd party suspension components regarding model S/X vibration causes, not because their products are not good, but because the claims that the drive unit angle is too high, hence this causes vibrations and half shaft issues are not backed by evidence. If that was the case, either every car vibrates (clearly not the case) or a repair of the supposedly compromised half shafts and front suspension components should fix it , but it seems to never completely do so.

I've been following these threads since I purchased my MXP 2023 back in August as I was having the same vibrating issues when driving at speeds mentioned by others. I came across one post where someone had said it was a software issue. I don't know if the software versions are different if you have FSD or not, but as soon as my FSD ended on December 1st, my car did an update and what do you know, I no longer have the vibration when driving. I've only been driving it for a couple days now so anything can change but I definitely do not have anymore vibrations. In my opinion, I think the underlying issue is a software problem that is causing something to not work properly and cause vibrations. That is just my 2 cents. Could be just a fluke but fingers crossed, it doesn't come back. My software version Is 2023.44.1

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Or rather, the software is now working to mitigate some resonance issue inherent in the combination of front drive unit and front suspension - it'd be interesting to do an A/B test on acceleration and power put to the wheels between the two versions, but the differences are probably subtle enough. I have FSD transferred so will keep it. Will report if I notice anything as I am yet to take a highway trip. The initial cold vibration is so mild, it doesn't bug me a tiny bit, it is something I notice through the wheel but hardly anywhere else. Couldn't care less if it stays, it will be akin to a gas car warming up but lasting 10x times less.