Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a couple articles about Tesla software overriding driver commands when the car senses an immanent crash and it stalled the car to avoid the crash. Is this true about Tesla software?
I've had one actual Automatic Emergency Brake in my car. I'm not sure if I could have overridden it by hitting the accelerator or not since I was trying to stop anyway. I was coming up to a stoplight with one car almost in the intersection but going slowly. The light changed to yellow so I was slowing to stop at the stop line, but the other car slammed on the brakes to stop and triggered the AEB code in my car. The result was the car went to maximum braking, stopping about a foot short of where I wanted to stop, shifted to park, popped up a message about the emergency braking, and continued to hold the brakes with very high pressure. Before I could go again I had to press the brake pedal really hard to release the "line lock" and manually shift back into drive.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
As far as actual case scenarios, I was backing into a Walmart parking space in my 2020 -- clearly marked space and with a steel post and sign on the post at waist level saying the number of the parking space, with another sign below it showing the Pick-Up instructions. I backed into the post without any warnings, sound or visual, that I was even close. I was relying on the car too much. I am sure the car was laughing at me (should be an option)!

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
If you remain asleep, it will do stuff automatically. If you are still in control, Automatic Emergency Braking releases brakes, or stops applying the brakes, when:
You turn the steering wheel sharply. You press and release the brake pedal while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes. You accelerate hard while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes. The vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian is no longer detected ahead. Automatic Emergency Braking is always enabled when you start. To disable it for your current drive, touch Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Emergency Braking. Even if you disable Automatic Emergency Braking, your vehicle may still apply the brakes after detecting an initial collision to reduce further impact (see Multi-Collision Braking).

Upvote 0
Object Aware Acceleration and Automatic Emergency Braking would seem to suggest otherwise.

Incorrect. Both of those will never override a driver input.

They will take action when there isn’t any, but if the driver takes action the driver wins every time.

For example - AEB. If the driver presses on the accelerator, it’ll disengage and the vehicle will accelerate.

All ties go to the runner driver.

Upvote 0
Incorrect. Both of those will never override a driver input.

They will take action when there isn’t any, but if the driver takes action the driver wins every time.

For example - AEB. If the driver presses on the accelerator, it’ll disengage and the vehicle will accelerate.

All ties go to the runner driver.
Sort of... object aware acceleration will still let the driver plow through a garage door, but it will drastically reduce the torque.

Upvote 0