Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Electric Customer here.

So far it’s been mixed. The replies via email have been quick. The Billing has been slow and unorganized.
I have one EV. I charge at home. I noticed that with my EV charging and my Electric bill. Its about the same as what I have in the Charge Stats. I’m the Tesla app. With my Electric bill vs what I’m charging. If I didn’t charge an EV at home. Then I would have a credit or no bill at all. This is only Winter data. So I’m not sure what the summer will look like. I will stay the course. I’m hopeful that Tesla Electric will make it more appealing. So if they roll out the $30 unlimited charging plan. While keeping the buy back and VPP. Then I can see it being a positive gain for my Wallet. So far. Since December. I’ve paid about $120 total. I think. I have a new statement now. But it won’t open when I click on the statement in the app. It says unavailable.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Elon trying/aiming to run people’s lives by becoming the utility provider eventually.

Reactions: Jones1
I am signing up with Reliant truly free night. Are the delivery charges $0 or is there a trick? I called up Tesla today and had a long chat with the rep. Basically she said you’ll be the guinea pig for Tesla retail electric and that there are lot of issues with their system. Appreciated her honesty.
No delivery charges during the off peak time at all it really is “truly free” here’s the things I do and have done to get the most out of it.

Set cars to charge off peak only (or with charge HQ app during the day with excess solar so it doesn’t go back to the grid for free)

Add the plan to the Tesla app

Watch the UV index for the week and when it will be low I switch to time based instead of self powered.

Grid charge powerwalls when it will be rainy or stormy the following day

Turn off storm watch so it won’t charge during peak without me knowing.

Overall you will learn how to maximize the plan pretty quickly based on your needs and this thread is GOLD when you are unsure about something. Always someone willing to help out or even just listen to your thoughts and provide feedback.

That’s my two cents worth anyways.

No delivery charges during the off peak time at all it really is “truly free” here’s the things I do and have done to get the most out of it.

Set cars to charge off peak only (or with charge HQ app during the day with excess solar so it doesn’t go back to the grid for free)

Add the plan to the Tesla app

Watch the UV index for the week and when it will be low I switch to time based instead of self powered.

Grid charge powerwalls when it will be rainy or stormy the following day

Turn off storm watch so it won’t charge during peak without me knowing.

Overall you will learn how to maximize the plan pretty quickly based on your needs and this thread is GOLD when you are unsure about something. Always someone willing to help out or even just listen to your thoughts and provide feedback.

That’s my two cents worth anyways.
Thank you @DrewHou
Tesla App would not take buying at $0.00 so used $0.01 for off-peak between 8p to 6a.
I will check out the Charge HQ app. So far what I did was basically played around with Amps to charge cars during peak production from 10a to 3p with solar panels, I am assuming this app does that for us. When everything is charged up and house is not utilizing as much power, the system goes in standby mode.
This summer would be a real test.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Thank you @DrewHou
Tesla App would not take buying at $0.00 so used $0.01 for off-peak between 8p to 6a.
I will check out the Charge HQ app. So far what I did was basically played around with Amps to charge cars during peak production from 10a to 3p with solar panels, I am assuming this app does that for us. When everything is charged up and house is not utilizing as much power, the system goes in standby mode.
Yeah there is a trick to get the Tesla app to accept 0.00 I will take a look later and report back on what it was.

Yep HQ app looks at excess solar and will automatically adjust amps to put that excess in the cars. The app will only allow you to choose one car at a time but that works fine for me at the time.

Thank you @DrewHou
So here’s the trick to get it to accept things. Leave the off peak blank instead of putting zero and it will work. Someone on this thread told me about this. Hope this helps!
IMG_1949.png

it doesn't allow blanks now.
On a separate note, found out that the installers hooked up Gateway/PW 1 with more solar panels and more output to service line (Breaker box panel) 2 which has less load and vice versa. I have 2 gateways 200A each connected to 2 service lines in the house. How can someone goof up something big like that? Also, when I called to inquire about Tesla electric they said only 1 Gateway and associated PW can be hooked up with Tesla Electric the second one cannot. So, yes, probably good idea not to connect home solar with grid yet, let them sort out issues first. And I thought my install went flawless.....

• Informative
Reactions: Jones1
Nope mine before and after solar install was 48 amps / 11.5kw. Did they do any breaker work during your install? Maybe check to make sure your charging breaker is still the right size. Just a guess.
No they didn’t do any breaker/load change. My powerwall installer guy seemed like he was having a bad day. Reversed the gateway/powewall, pretty big cock up.

Reactions: DrewHou
No they didn’t do any breaker/load change. My powerwall installer guy seemed like he was having a bad day. Reversed the gateway/powewall, pretty big cock up.
Sorry to hear about the bad installer. I had some issues with mine but it was roof damage, leaving a mess on the roof, and exposed wires on the roof.

However, as long as you have the Tesla wall connector and it’s connected to a 60A breaker you should be getting 48A charging. I can’t imagine anything limiting it from the solar / PW side.

Sorry to hear about the bad installer. I had some issues with mine but it was roof damage, leaving a mess on the roof, and exposed wires on the roof.

However, as long as you have the Tesla wall connector and it’s connected to a 60A breaker you should be getting 48A charging. I can’t imagine anything limiting it from the solar / PW side.
Jones1's maxes out at 32A as well. Let me check if I did something in the car. But I got this issue after trying Charge HQ, I deleted my Tesla system from Charge HQ system now, but still issue persists. Let me try few more things.

Reactions: DrewHou
Jones1's maxes out at 32A as well. Let me check if I did something in the car. But I got this issue after trying Charge HQ, I deleted my Tesla system from Charge HQ system now, but still issue persists. Let me try few more things.
Jones1 has the mobile connector (from my understanding) which I believe maxs out at 32A. The wall connector however can go up to 48A with a 60A breaker and the correct gauge wiring.

Are you using the mobile connector or a wall connector?

ChargeHQ does dynamically change the amps but you can always override and go higher amperage in the Tesla app even when HQ is being used.

Also second thought if you have more than one Tesla. My 2022 model S can charge 48A at home but my 2023 Model 3 RWD max out at 32A on the same charger due to different equipment inside the car. I know that maybe a dumb thing to bring up but trying to think of anything we might be overlooking.

Jones1 has the mobile connector (from my understanding) which I believe maxs out at 32A. The wall connector however can go up to 48A with a 60A breaker and the correct gauge wiring.

Are you using the mobile connector or a wall connector?

ChargeHQ does dynamically change the amps but you can always override and go higher amperage in the Tesla app even when HQ is being used.

Also second thought if you have more than one Tesla. My 2022 model S can charge 48A at home but my 2023 Model 3 RWD max out at 32A on the same charger due to different equipment inside the car. I know that maybe a dumb thing to bring up but trying to think of anything we might be overlooking.
Just spoke with Tesla, they said it is a Tesla thing. Once I have PTO, they will ramp it back to 48A.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Just spoke with Tesla, they said it is a Tesla thing. Once I have PTO, they will ramp it back to 48A.
Weird lol I had full 48A charging without PTO, I would stay on top of that because I find most people at Tesla just say stuff to get you off the phone. All my problems they said would go away after PTO and didn’t happen. I think they like to use PTO as an excuse. Hopefully yours does correct itself!

Reactions: njphilhou