Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Inverter not connecting to Tesla systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla energy customer rep emailed me and said that I needed to connect my inverter to my home Wi-Fi because Tesla cannot see that my inverter is connected to their system. The problem is that my inverter is already connected to my home Wi-Fi. The rep emailed me instructions on how to change the Wi-Fi setting on the inverter and I followed all the steps. Since the inverter was already connected to my regular network, I changed it to my guest network. Tesla is still not able to see my inverter.

Anybody have a similar issue or know how to solve?

The rep keeps repeating the same instructions on connecting the inverter and I keep telling her I have already done so. I even sent her a screenshot showing that it was connected to my Wi-Fi and "connected to Tesla" has a checkmark. I called the activations number and spoke to someone, but they did not seem to understand the issue. They said, "tesla inverters are tricky" and then put me on hold to research the issue. After the hold, they came back and said everything was fine. I didn't feel confident after the phone call, so I emailed the original rep asking them to check and she said that they still cannot see it. She told me to call again. I feel like I'm going in circles with them.

System info:
8.5 kW
20 panels using 3 strings
7.6 tesla inverter

Sorry for your issues. (Bet you have heard that one before!)

Clients on a guest network aren't allowed to communicate with each other, so a guest network is definitely going to cause problems for you. I suspect that may be why you see a check mark, but Tesla can't communicate with them.

The Tesla Gateway needs to be on 2.4GHz. Others have had trouble with their gateways staying connected because they run WiFi networks where the SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz are the same. If yours are, I would split them, and make sure the Gateway is on the 2.4GHz network. The inverter also needs to be on your WiFi, and Tesla doesn't seem to specify what frequency it needs, so I would make sure that the inverter is also on your 2.4GHz network. Since the inverter needs to talk to the Gateway, you will need to either have a separate 2.4GHz IoT network for them, or move them off of the guest network on to your main network. (An IoT network is more secure.)

Instructions for getting a Tesla inverter online

All the best,

BG

Clients on a guest network aren't allowed to communicate with each other, so a guest network is definitely going to cause problems for you. I suspect that may be why you see a check mark, but Tesla can't communicate with them.

The Tesla Gateway needs to be on 2.4GHz. Others have had trouble with their gateways staying connected because they run WiFi networks where the SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz are the same. If yours are, I would split them, and make sure the Gateway is on the 2.4GHz network. The inverter also needs to be on your WiFi, and Tesla doesn't seem to specify what frequency it needs, so I would make sure that the inverter is also on your 2.4GHz network. Since the inverter needs to talk to the Gateway, you will need to either have a separate 2.4GHz IoT network for them, or move them off of the guest network on to your main network. (An IoT network is more secure.)

All the best,

BG
Thanks for the information.

I don't have a Tesla Gateway. Is that something I need if I don't have a powerwall? I only have a Tesla Inverter that is mounted outside.

I have an eero mesh system and I believe the SSID is the same and not configurable. It's "supposed" to be smart and select the correct frequency.

I'm going to try and call them this weekend. I'll post here If I find a solution.

All the best,

BG
No. Tesla inverters do not need gateway box.