Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel now $2.85/W instead of $3.49/W

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm assuming my thoughts are correct on this, but wanted to get feed back from others. I got this quote for a 12.1kW system using Sunpower panels for more than what Tesla is quoting now.

Tesla - $148
Sunpower - $221

Is Tesla using weaker panels or were they just able to get a better pricing because of the online order system now?

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Based on this post, the new Tesla contracts don’t have as long of warranties on the equipment as they used to. Nor production guarantees.

I think you folks are obsessing way too much on lifespan, production guarantees, etc
mono and poly crystal PV arrays over the last
30 - 40 years tend to degrade on the average of 0.5%/ year
(maybe better with new tech now BUT)
at 21 years, degradation is 10%
at 40 years, degradation is 18.2%,
(use function y^x where y=.995, x=number of years)
My _first_ PV array has an MPPT string inverter, 25 year old tech, replaced 2 diodes ($40 each) in 20 years, installed in 1999. i know folks who have had PV for 40 years, still works.
==>PV is modular<== add another panel or 3 at the start or during for more power.

My new array uses 37, 315w panels, with 37 micro inverters, technology is _almost_ able to island without a battery but im getting a Tesla Powerwall as they are now available
(mine was ~$2.70/watt with the fed tax credit ~$1.89/watt!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I think you folks are obsessing way too much on lifespan, production guarantees etc
mono and poly crystal PV arrays over the last 30 - 40 years tend to degrade on the avera

Well, I think inverters do tend to fail early, and now Tesla doesn’t cover them for the whole period like they used to.

Besides, the production guarantee was useful to me when dealing with Tesla’s terrible customer service. They were arguing my panel performance was “fine” until the trendlines looked like I was going to miss my production guarantee and they would have to pay me. THEN they actually looked at it. Turns my panels were not fine and needed repair.

But any other reputable solar company, sure, that stuff probably doesn’t matter.

• Love
Reactions: Joshib
Based on this post, the new Tesla contracts don’t have as long of warranties on the equipment as they used to. Nor production guarantees.

Thank for the reference... but I have never seen a warranty state time periods stated as "At Least" for panels and inverters before. Wording seems very odd. For legal reasons warranty periods are usually firmly defined.

It is odd that the warranty is not explicitly stated on the website: Solar Panels Support | Tesla

What is included in my warranty?
Review your Warranty Agreement for the exact details on coverage of your system.

Well, I think inverters do tend to fail early, and now Tesla doesn’t cover them for the whole period like they used to.

Besides, the production guarantee was useful to me when dealing with Tesla’s terrible customer service. They were arguing my panel performance was “fine” until the trendlines looked like I was going to miss my production guarantee and they would have to pay me. THEN they actually looked at it. Turns my panels were not fine and needed repair.

But any other reputable solar company, sure, that stuff probably doesn’t matter.
using microinverters (37 of them) and closely monitoring during the first few months (based on failure rates, integrated circuits used to either die young or last forever)
I had 1 microinverter of the 37 die after 2 weeks, then get replaced a few weeks later.
on my string inverter system, when my diodes died, twice, the second meter i had installed stopped counting UP, the external display went blank, i yanked out the circuit diagram, used a multimeter, yanked the diode, system worked (single sting inverter, 100% on or 100% off
i prefer microinverters personally after researching the field since the 1970's, when inverters were (i tell you 3x this is true)
run a DC motor to spin and send out AC from it, mechanical inverter!! Inefficient, you bet it was.
I communicated with Tesla about PV and powerwall since Oct 2017 (they didnt service SW Florida) and waited
finally gave up, went with company re-energizing Puerto Rico that also uses Tesla Powerwalls. indirectly supporting Tesla I am

Reactions: preilly44
using microinverters (37 of them) and closely monitoring during the first few months (based on failure rates, integrated circuits used to either die young or last forever)
I had 1 microinverter of the 37 die after 2 weeks, then get replaced a few weeks later.
on my string inverter system, when my diodes died, twice, the second meter i had installed stopped counting UP, the external display went blank, i yanked out the circuit diagram, used a multimeter, yanked the diode, system worked (single sting inverter, 100% on or 100% off
i prefer microinverters personally after researching the field since the 1970's, when inverters were (i tell you 3x this is true)
run a DC motor to spin and send out AC from it, mechanical inverter!! Inefficient, you bet it was.
I communicated with Tesla about PV and powerwall since Oct 2017 (they didnt service SW Florida) and waited
finally gave up, went with company re-energizing Puerto Rico that also uses Tesla Powerwalls. indirectly supporting Tesla I am

Yeah, Tesla is installing string inverters still (I have 2 Delta inverters on my system installed last year). I would want that longer inverter warranty unless I got it in my contract I was getting Solar Edge instead (since I think you can get an extended warranty directly from Solar Edge). I know I can't do the level of troubleshooting to my inverters that you did to yours.

And you were smart to support Tesla indirectly on the Powerwalls. That is what I should have done with my install.

My understanding is that Tesla is installing Canadian solar panels (4kW / 12 panels = ~330W panels).
Did you have success prodding Tesla to use Panasonic panels for your install? Price difference?
They did change my contract to use the "Panasonic SolarCity Standard: SC330" panels. I want to say there is no price difference, but I also changed my installation size, so I'm not 100% certain on that.

And I read up some more about the warranty, my speculation is that the Hanwha Q-Cells only have 12 year warranty, that's why on the contract it says "At least 12 years". But the Panasonic panels should still have 20 year warranty.

So I'm assuming my thoughts are correct on this, but wanted to get feed back from others. I got this quote for a 12.1kW system using Sunpower panels for more than what Tesla is quoting now.

Tesla - $148
Sunpower - $221

Is Tesla using weaker panels or were they just able to get a better pricing because of the online order system now?

View attachment 402852 View attachment 402853
Don't go by monthly payments. Go by price per watt. Easier to compare.

Your sunpower quote is $42,009 / 12,099 watt system = $3.47/watt before incentives (microinverters)
Tesla is $2.85 (or slightly lower depending on your location) for Panasonic 330W panels with SolarEdge power optimizers before incentives

I just got an energysage quote for Panasonic 330W panels with Enphase microinverters for $2.62/watt before incentives.

I may have to go with my local energysage guy.

• Helpful
Reactions: ggies07
They did change my contract to use the "Panasonic SolarCity Standard: SC330" panels. I want to say there is no price difference, but I also changed my installation size, so I'm not 100% certain on that.

And I read up some more about the warranty, my speculation is that the Hanwha Q-Cells only have 12 year warranty, that's why on the contract it says "At least 12 years". But the Panasonic panels should still have 20 year warranty.
the literature i got with my Hanwha Q-Cells, Q.Peak Duo 315w is 0.54% _max_ degradation/year
so at 25 year 87% output.

PV panels dont "switch off", although inverters can flake out

Just started my EngergySage process and first quote's $4.14/watt price seems outrageous compared to what Tesla (or the rest of this thread) are quoting, am I missing something? (Labor Warranty is 10 years).

upload_2019-5-2_15-47-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-2_15-45-46.png
    upload_2019-5-2_15-45-46.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Just start my EngergySage process and first quote's $4.14/watt price seems outrageous compared to what Tesla (or the rest of this thread) are quoting, am I missing something? (Labor Warranty is 10 years).

View attachment 403396
In my energysage profile, I said that I have a Tesla quote for $2.85/watt. Beat that price.
Your quote is ridiculous. Just wait for a few more quotes to come in.

Reactions: JFChenger
Just started my EngergySage process and first quote's $4.14/watt price seems outrageous compared to what Tesla (or the rest of this thread) are quoting, am I missing something? (Labor Warranty is 10 years).

View attachment 403396
@JFChenger

seriously. that is exorbitant
I paid $2.70/watt Hanwha Q.Peak Duo 315's 37 of them 11.655kW with 37 Enphase IQ7's microinverters
total cost ~$31,500 cash, $34,000 zero down financing SW Florida

actual production
1,300 kWh Feb
1,600 kWh Mar
1,800 kWh April
very close to simulation
upload_2019-5-2_18-19-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-2_18-18-13.png
    upload_2019-5-2_18-18-13.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: JFChenger
Anyone ordered solar with powerwall since the new pricing has been announced? I ordered yesterday in California and here is my order details. I would appreciate if others can share their order details.

One thing to note is that powerwall installation cost is extra. Thank you!

upload_2019-5-2_16-30-29.png

Anyone ordered solar with powerwall since the new pricing has been announced? I ordered yesterday in California and here is my order details. I would appreciate if others can share their order details.

One thing to note is that powerwall installation cost is extra. Thank you!

I asked my Tesla rep for a quote, he said Powerwall is $11,069 including installation.

I believe you have to use the same installer to install both Solar and Powerwall in the same year in order to get the SGIP rebate (someone can correct me on this).

I got a quote from a third-party Tesla Certified Installer as well, and their cost is $11985 - $3480 SGIP rebate - $2552 ITC = $5953, so I assume $11000-$12000 is the normal price in CA. From my napkin math, with NEM, the final cost needs to be around $2000 for it to be worth the price, so I'm likely doing my solar without a battery for now.

I believe you have to use the same installer to install both Solar and Powerwall in the same year in order to get the SGIP rebate (someone can correct me on this).

I got a quote from a third-party Tesla Certified Installer as well, and their cost is $11985 - $3480 SGIP rebate - $2552 ITC = $5953, so I assume $11000-$12000 is the normal price in CA. From my napkin math, with NEM, the final cost needs to be around $2000 for it to be worth the price, so I'm likely doing my solar without a battery for now.

Thank you. I just noticed at Costco that SunRun also has a battery storage solution call BrightBox. Will check with them.