Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I would have gotten more quotes, regretting going with Tesla. I had seen enough posts online saying no one could match the pricing, and talked with others that had said the same thing. Now after realizing my system is likely going to sit on my roof for 6 months with no permission to operate, might not have been so bad. Project was already way behind schedule, now being told could be another 4-5 months for PTO. My advisor has never replied to a single email, only way to get any update has been to call the main line, sit on hold for 30 minutes, to be told no changes. Actually the only changes has been wait time for PTO seems to increase each time I call.
I'm sorry to hear that. It must be immensely frustrating! I looked at Tesla as an option a few months back when I got the ball rolling but the terrible customer service and communications was a big point of concern. There are a subset of folks who seem to get lucky and have little to no issues with their Tesla solar install but there is a pretty large set of customers with horror stories like yours. I just can't stomach paying a business $20k+ when they have absolutely no sense of customer focus and customer service.

When I solicited quotes from local installers, I also signed up with Tesla Solar and did a simple experiment. I asked the advisor some very basic questions and followed up once more about them. When I never heard back after waiting a few days, I promptly canceled my order with Tesla and continued pursuing local quotes. I ended up finding a local installer who came in at $2.25/W for my 10kW system, which was only 25 cents higher per Watt than the Tesla price. They were extremely responsive and I peppered the solar technician with many emails and he even walked me through his solar models for my roof in Aurora. Everything has been going smoothly with them. They immediately prepped and submitted a package to my HOA for the architecture review, and have kept on top of all paperwork. I already have my interconnection approval and the install is happening in a couple of weeks. I would happily pay the "extra" I did for peace of mind and for a lot of time and hassle saved on my end.

I hope you are able to resolve your situation. Have you considered escalating this via other legal avenues / BBB complaint / small-claims court?

Reactions: brian.c
So far, my quoted price was the same as the website, except for CA tax.

Not to hijack - I’ve only just ordered, but if a custom size fits better than the suggested 4kw sized menu, can they do that? Already have a 4kw existing sunpower system and would like to add 3-6kw in additional capacity, optimizing for placement / efficiency.

Would prefer to just maximize for production, so if a few panels would be placed in non optimal locations, then I don’t need them. Same for if there is some unused optimal space, would opt to add more.

Not to hijack - I’ve only just ordered, but if a custom size fits better than the suggested 4kw sized menu, can they do that? Already have a 4kw existing sunpower system and would like to add 3-6kw in additional capacity, optimizing for placement / efficiency.

Would prefer to just maximize for production, so if a few panels would be placed in non optimal locations, then I don’t need them. Same for if there is some unused optimal space, would opt to add more.
Yes, can ask them to add/subtract panels.

Just be aware it will add some extra time. It took about an extra month for me to get the system layout and size I wanted. They are very slow to respond, and have to send the request to the design crew. The problem I found, what I told the advisor, did not get relayed properly to design. So we went back and forth for a while. Eventually got the extra panels on the section of roof I wanted. They tend to go for appearance, I wanted more production.