Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel Snow Guard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I’ll bite. What’s a snow guard? You want the snow not to slid off the panels? The sun on the panels will make it melt more quickly than on the normal shingle roof, so it will get back to generating power more quickly. Never heard of ‘snow guard’.

I’ve see brushes/rakes people use to clean off panels when snow is deep and they can get to them, but mine are over 25’ in the air. No, thank you. :D

Reactions: preilly44
I know of someone who had snow slide off panels and crashed through a conservatory roof, a snow guard would have prevented this. I have a property where the front door is next to the pavement, I have a snow guard to prevent a large quantity of snow falling on a pedestrian. They are very useful to prevent a snowfall which could cause damage or injury.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
tesla installed snow guards on my solar panels. the key is to break up the falling slabs of snow and ice to reduce their destructive power crashing into whatever might be below them including most commonly a gutter at the edge of the roof, or people and pets cars that might happen to be in the path of the snow slab

Was this because of the angle of your roof? I have most of my roof covered by panels with no such thing. And I’ve seen such ‘blades’ only on houses with relatively steep roof angles to ‘slice up’ ice/snow slabs as they slide off. So, was wondering if there was something different about your situation.

Edit. When I posted that I had no idea I’d posted a few posts above back when or what even a snow guard was, lol.

I’d not think a snow guard like this to keep snow on the roof is a good idea, issues with water backing up as it melts; etc. I like my original idea of something to break up snow ‘slabs’ as they slide off better! :D

In the past several years we have had some snow slide off as it melts but snow has been dwindling recently. If in a heavy snow area with a path below the roof edge, perhaps an issue, of course! I like the reverse panels I read about where a small amount of power heats them so that they never actually ‘snow’ over.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So got Tesla solar panels installed in Nov 2019. Today snowing in NY and chunks of snow falling on the first level. Should Tesla have installed snow guards??? Baffled!

Does anyone know where to buy those snow guards if Tesla is slow, and I have to do myself. It is a very low cost thing to put on for the safety. I will try to put on as many I can reach on the roof, at least on all in the front.

Update! Tesla installed snow guards for free. If you ask them they will. Might take a bit of time but it’s free so worth it.

I have a ticket open with them for last one week. I also sent pictures from Feb when the snow fell and almost killed me and I ce different day broke my skylights on tbe lower roof.

They should do it or else I am scared of this coming winter.

Let me wait another week and give them a call.

The last snow storm caused a huge slide of snow/ice off my roof and I heard a boom!!! in the middle of the night; this happened multiple times. I’ve asked for snow guards to prevent this dangerous occurrence but nothing yet.
So got Tesla solar panels installed in Nov 2019. Today snowing in NY and chunks of snow falling on the first level. Should Tesla have installed snow guards??? Baffled!
Snowy climate owner here...

Tesla completed installation of my solar roof less than 2 weeks ago. Last Monday, an iceberg from my second level crashed down to my first level and shattered a half dozen tiles.

Contacted my installation team (figuring it was faster than a ticket). They showed up the next day (which was fantastic...no complaints about the response or service). Two guys from my initial roofing team replaced the shattered tiles and then stood and talked with me for a while. They both go "Wow...they showed us snow avalanches in training videos but we've never seen it happen in real life" and as we're standing there, another shelf of snow crashes within 5 feet of where they're standing. One guy couldn't get his phone out quick enough to take video of it happening. They were both totally amazed at what they were seeing.

When they left, they said "We'll see you again in a couple of weeks when the ice from the upper level breaks tiles on the lower level again."

Based on the comments here, I'll be calling them to ask them to install snow guards. It has to be cost effective for them to pursue this route, otherwise they'll be out 6 times a year for the life of my warranty. But the fact that installers have less idea what to expect than their customers? What does that say?

Tesla installed Snow Guard mitigation today, 14 Feb 2022, on panels first installed Feb 2019 in IL.
The guards clip on to the bottom of each panel, to slow the release of melting snow.
TeslaSnowGuard.jpg
TeslaSnowGuardCloseup.jpg

Yes, they worked fine. This is a well established technology, the same as is used on slate roofs.
See the attached image.

View attachment 841541

This is quite interesting and I was curious about this. Great pictures. Our vacation cabin has pretty aggressive slopes so the snow build up is less compared to traditional home roofs. The issue is that the ice becomes thicker over the panels than normal. Would you happen to know the weight limit of the snow guards?

This is quite interesting and I was curious about this. Great pictures. Our vacation cabin has pretty aggressive slopes so the snow build up is less compared to traditional home roofs. The issue is that the ice becomes thicker over the panels than normal. Would you happen to know the weight limit of the snow guards?
You would have to ask Tesla for the weight limits. It looks like they clip on, so the worst case might be that they would pop off.

If you want to generate power sooner after a snow storm, do not add these. They don’t allow the snow to shed and you’re panels will be covered and not producing much, much longer.
While I understand the downside, the snow melts faster off of the panel than off my roof. The avalanche of snow is causing me more expensive than the panel is generating to repair items impacted by the "solar avalanche"