Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Skirt Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do a search on "850-1608 ARRAY SKIRT" you'll find places selling the straight sections in lots. No luck on finding anyone selling the needed 850-1606 SKIRT GRIP for mounting the skirts, or the 850-1586 & 1588 END CAPs. The problem is that ZEP SOLAR, who makes the mounting hardware Tesla uses, was acquired by Solar City, now Tesla, so they're now a captive Manufacturer.

If you do a search on "850-1608 ARRAY SKIRT" you'll find places selling the straight sections in lots. No luck on finding anyone selling the needed 850-1606 SKIRT GRIP for mounting the skirts, or the 850-1586 & 1588 END CAPs. The problem is that ZEP SOLAR, who makes the mounting hardware Tesla uses, was acquired by Solar City, now Tesla, so they're now a captive Manufacturer.
that sucks...so in other words we can't use those Zep skirt because no mount. there's also prosolar skirt but you mount to the panel frame which might be bad. seems like there is no good/affordable skirt option. I'm surprised folks don't care much about aesthetics...installer told me 98% people don't ask for skirt and so they don't do it.

that sucks...so in other words we can't use those Zep skirt because no mount. there's also prosolar skirt but you mount to the panel frame which might be bad. seems like there is no good/affordable skirt option. I'm surprised folks don't care much about aesthetics...installer told me 98% people don't ask for skirt and so they don't do it.
Since Tesla did my install, they automatically installed the skirting on 3 sides. From what I understand, the panels
Tesla installs have a proprietary ZEP frame that the attachment clips lock into.

I got my Tesla solar panel system (12 panels) installed in my home about 1 month ago. Cost was the biggest factor for me choosing Tesla, but even if Tesla was a little more expensive than some other companies, I still would have gone with Tesla because I already have a Tesla vehicle and Wall Charger, so I would have the entire Tesla ecosystem. But also because of the skirts that Tesla installs around the panels. Aesthetics are huge for me, and seeing other homes with panels on their roofs that don't have these skirts really makes me cringe at how displeasing they look. So happy with the way mine looks.

--Cintoman

OP, do you think you will have problems with animals or birds nesting under panels?
Mine are in use for 11+ years with no issues. Better cooling without it, I would think.
I don't have issues with nests under the panels. I ended up going with Better Earth since they have option for skirting. unfortunately, their mount cannot do skirt on the 2 sides, but bottom skirt was installed totaling $750 for 25 panels. I'd still would prefer solar skirt for the better aesthetics, but I didn't go with Tesla because they don't really work with me on the design plus they didn't care about NEM 2 at the time.
Perhaps a little better cooling without skirt, but not really by much since skirt still leaves a gap for airflow.

Reactions: charlesj