Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sold my car to someone else before my delivery day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes on all counts.

Also... in NJ you can transfer a registration/plates which is cheaper. I've done this before so I don't "lose" the cost of the registration if I sell the vehicle in less than 4 years. On the tesla, I figured I'd have it longer. Only way you lose is if the vehicle is totaled.

I have to agree it's awesome I don't need a stupid sticker on the front windshield. What a joke. Like the license plate situation. They should move to a radio based reg, etc which acts like a beacon, so the police would be able to tell quickly if a registration/insurance was good/not good.

Having to use visuals is quite antiquated especially stickers on the license plate to show there may be a young driver in the vehicle. Epitome of stupidity.

At a Tesla meetup 2 weeks ago I was discussing my horrible delivery experience (3 hours). I almost walked away at the 2 hour point of the inexcusable fiasco. I LOVE my X! Vehicle issues still not satisfied after 90 days. One person told me her M3 was scratched, etc. and wasn't going to take delivery. She mentioned they took one assigned to someone else and delivered that one! I thought that was kind of bizarre. In Illinois, Tesla has screwed up so much with the registration and plates we have to pay for regular plates up front and then the state refunds the cost difference of electric plates 6-8 weeks later! One of the problems the DMV told me was wrong VIN#---DUH....

Your experience reminded me of one years ago when I ordered a special vehicle with custom package from GM with 10% down payment. My sister (and brother) worked for GM so I got the family discount. She would track its progress thru the assembly line and I would get calls telling me that it was getting its engine or doors, when it was in the paint shop, etc.. Four months later (a long time back then), she called and said the car arrived at the dealer. I called the dealer right away; they swore for days they never got it!!! They made a very nice profit on that one. Took their time giving me my money back. I soooo wanted that vehicle. What bites me more is when GM needed the bailout they weren't required to compensate for their now worthless preferred stock (but were for common stock) which was supposed to be our inheritance. Bottom line is the $1000/share (couple thousand shares) we were able to write off years later for 43 cents a share. Never did business with them since and NEVER will.