Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Good to see Jersey getting a store. I understand Tesla's West Coast centric start to things, but I think they have a huge opportunity to tap the Northeast market. Not only are there a lot of people living there, but a good portion of the country's wealth is there.

Of the top 10 richest counties, 8 are on the East Coast. 3 from NJ alone, and 5 (including the 3 from NJ) in the NY-NJ-CT Tri-state Area.

America's 10 Richest Counties - CNBC

Last edited:
Good to see Jersey getting a store. I understand Tesla's West Coast centric start to things, but I think they have a huge opportunity to tap the Northeast market. Not only are there a lot of people living there, but a good portion of the country's wealth is there.

Of the top 10 richest counties, 8 are on the East Coast. 3 from NJ alone, and 5 (including the 3 from NJ) in the NY-NJ-CT Tri-state Area.

America's 10 Richest Counties - CNBC

Agreed - good link. And that doesn't include towns like Princeton and West Windsor (both grouped in Mercer County with Trenton, but lots of purchasing power). Paramus is probably the best opportunity for me to get my Dad a peek at a Model S, unless it tours central NJ before that.

This was the first article I saw for a NJ site of any kind, and seemed like something nobody was talking about it yet.:cool:

Hey Doug: please add Paramus to the index at the front of this thread, linked to my original post in the (eerily quiet) Mid-Atlantic forum. Thanks!

The first page of this thread has not been updated in forever:

So these are the North American stores & service centers we know for sure that are currently operating or will be opening soon

Canada- Montreal
Canada- Toronto
Canada- Vancouver

USA-Orange County (Costa Mesa Service & Newport Beach Fashion Island)
USA- Scottsdale
USA- LA (3rd St & West LA Service)
USA- Menlo Park
USA- San Diego Fashion Valley
USA- San Jose Santana Row
USA- Denver/Boulder
USA- Washington DC
USA- Dania Beach/Miami
USA- Orlando Millenia
USA- Tampa Service
USA- Atlanta
USA- Chicago/Oakbrook
USA- Boston
USA- NYC/White Plains
USA- Portland- Washington Square
USA- Philadelphia- King of Prussia
USA- Dallas- North Park
USA- Houston Galleria
USA- Bellevue/Seattle

Any Others I am missing?

So these are the North American stores & service centers we know for sure that are currently operating or will be opening soon

USA- Dania Beach/Miami

Any Others I am missing?

This entry will be really two separate facilities when the Miami Beach store opens later this year

US-FL-Dania Beach-Tigertail Blvd-Service
US-FL-Miami-Lincoln Rd-Store

Larry

Talked to the service manager who was at the DC event today. He said they are opening a service center in Bethesda, MD to complement the DC store. Supposedly fairly big one. They had tried to put it in Virginia, in Tyson's Corner, but apparently Virginia has some of the same issues that Texas does as far as being able to sell cars outside of the typical dealer model. (big surprise there - sometimes i don't love my state).

George Blankenship's take on stores

From the Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call:

Elon Musk
The stores are really kicking butt. George, is there any color you’d like to add to the stores? We just opened the Third Street Promenade store on Santa Monica Boulevard, if people are in the L.A. area and want to get a sense for the latest in Tesla store technology.

George Blankenship
I think our goal with the stores the rest of this year is to try to address some new markets. One of the markets that we really haven’t solidified up until now is that Northeast corridor. And our goal is to open several new stores in that corridor in order to hit one of the most densely populated areas of the country and try to do it in sort of an accelerated way. Because we think there’s lots and lots of potential up there.

And what’s really nice is we already have an embedded number of people there. I mean, the beauty of our model is that we already know where the first 12,000 cars are going. We know where customers who are interested in us live.

So we can use that data to open up stores, because if there’s certain people there who are already, with very little effort, already reserving our car. Think what happens if we actually do put some effort in there. And that’s what we’re doing this yearis we’re hitting the hottest spots where we have really strong demand already in order to leverage that and that word of mouth from customer to customer. And the people who have already gotten their car, they’re like kids in a candy store with their car. They can’t wait to drive it. They can’t wait to take people to dinner. They can’t wait to take people out. So when we put more stores in and amongst where those people are and they have a place to gather and share stories and stuff.

That’s what we’re doing with the store growth this year. We’re focusing on places where we know there’s existing demand in order to leverage it more. A lot in the Northeast. We’re going to open another one down in Miami Beach.

And the traffic through the stores has been incredible. I think you probably saw in the shareholder letter that year to date we’ve had over a million people go through the newly designed stores in North America. I mean, that’s an incredible number. And they keep bringing more people, more friends and stuff like that.

So the stores are really performing well, and I think by going after the Northeast corridor, we will subsequently make a difference by year end. I have a goal this year that in the month of December we could have a million people go through our stores in one month. It’s that crazy of a number. So that’s the kind of thing we’re shooting for.

Larry

From the conference call

George Blankenship
Yeah, we are opening more stores this year, this fall. In fact, one of our next stores will be in the New York metropolitan area, and then we’ll come back with another two. And then we’ll go further north from there into the Massachusetts area and down into the DC area. We think that market holds lots and lots and lots of potential because we already have the number of reservations we have there without a lot of presence. When we have presence, my retail history tells me that there is lots and lots of untapped potential there that we are going to begin tapping starting in September.
Elon Musk
Actually I think a lot of people on the call are probably from the greater New York area, so maybe it would be worth just listing the stores that we’ve opened in the greater New York area, and the ones that will be opening in the next few months.
George Blankenship
Sure. For those of you in the New York area, you’re probably aware we have the store on 25th Street. It’s been there for a while. And then we opened up into Westchester, up in Westchester County. And it’s doing very, very well. Very, very nicely. And you know, we see where all the reservations are coming from through each store. And it’s actually increased the reservation flow in the West 25th Street store. So having two stores in the market has helped.
For those of you in North Jersey, we’ll be opening up in Garden State Plaza and Short Hills Mall. And then for you in Long Island, we’ll be looking to open up in Roosevelt Field. So going from one store on West 25th Street to having two in Northern Jersey, one in Westchester County, and one in Long Island, it’s a pretty good capture of the New York metropolitan area with those particular centers surrounding the city.
Elon Musk
And our store in Chelsea, we got that lease because it was the only lease we could afford back in the day, and it’s still basically a version 1.5 of store technology. If you want to see the latest in store technology - and I’m not using that word facetiously; there really is store technology - you want to go to the Westchester or the stores that are opening up in New Jersey or Long Island. That will show you the latest and greatest in the retail experience.
But it just gives you some sense. I count the store in Chelsea as like a half store. And we had a half store until a few months ago in the entire greater New York area. A half store.
George Blankenship
And like I said, what’s happened is when we opened up the Westchester, we got that additional awareness and a little bit of publicity and media. We now have two full stores. Because we took the half store and made it into a full store with reservations. And not from a technology standpoint, but from a productivity standpoint.

From the shareholder letter:
We continue to open Tesla Stores and Service Centers to put infrastructure in place to support a broader base of Model S customers. In Q2, we opened three new Tesla stores in Oslo, Norway, White Plains, New York, and Santa Monica, California. In July, we have already opened two additional locations in Scottsdale, Arizona and Portland, Oregon. We plan to open about five more stores or galleries this year at strategic locations in North America, several of which will be in the northeast corridor of the United States. . . . In addition to our Tesla Ranger service, where our technicians come to the customer, we currently operate 18 service centers globally. We are aggressively expanding this coverage with additional service center openings. . . . By year-end, we plan to more than double the number of service locations around the world from today’s levels.

So it sounds like six new stores in the U.S. are on tap:

Lincoln Road in South Beach (Miami,FL)
Roosevelt Field in Long Island, NY
Short Hills Mall in Short Hills, NJ
Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ
Natick Mall in Boston area
DC Suburbs (Bethesda, MD, Tysons Corner, VA or similar)

Last edited:
I have one major problem with Tesla's current plan for dealerships. IT'S TOO SLOW!! I live in upstate New York and live thousands of miles from a dealership, how could I possible justify a Model S purchase? Couldn't they have some franchised dealerships? This IMO under minds there projected sales numbers cause they literally can't expect someone to buy a car that they can't see or would have to travel thousands of miles to see in person. I know a lot people pre-ordered the car before it was even built but your not going to get that level of excitement from any non- EV enthusiast.

I read an article how it's technically against the law for Tesla to own its own dealerships in (either) NY or NJ. Why don't they just allow someone to run these and avoid any legal trouble?

Very depressing to want this car so bad but have it be so impossible to get.