Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one major problem with Tesla's current plan for dealerships. IT'S TOO SLOW!! I live in upstate New York and live thousands of miles from a dealership, how could I possible justify a Model S purchase? Couldn't they have some franchised dealerships? This IMO under minds there projected sales numbers cause they literally can't expect someone to buy a car that they can't see or would have to travel thousands of miles to see in person. I know a lot people pre-ordered the car before it was even built but your not going to get that level of excitement from any non- EV enthusiast.

I read an article how it's technically against the law for Tesla to own its own dealerships in (either) NY or NJ. Why don't they just allow someone to run these and avoid any legal trouble?

Very depressing to want this car so bad but have it be so impossible to get.

It's not impossible to get, you can simply go onto Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles and order one, and it will be delivered right to your door. Tesla has re-invented the car buying process, making dealers unnecessary (but still helpfull)

I read an article how it's technically against the law for Tesla to own its own dealerships in (either) NY or NJ. Why don't they just allow someone to run these and avoid any legal trouble?

Have you never been to a dealer? Buying a car from a dealer is slightly more painful than having three teeth pulled with no anesthetic while having oil poured on you. Tesla will, with a bit of luck, put the dealer model out of business because it's one of the most consumer unfriendly systems out there (right up there with the IRS).

The problem with the dealer model (from a car purchasing aspect--there are other problems after you purchase the car) is that the dealer is out to maximize profit on every individual car. That means regardless of the price you pay, you always feel as if you were taken to the cleaners. The Tesla model is like every other retail store: There is a marked price and you either pay it or decide it's too expensive and go elsewhere. No hassles and no slimy salespersons to deal with. Tesla store attendants do not work on commission so they don't have a vested interest in making up things to get more money.

Not hard at all. You go to the website, make a reservation, wait in line, and get your car at your home or office. Couldn't be simpler.

I have one major problem with Tesla's current plan for dealerships. IT'S TOO SLOW!! I live in upstate New York and live thousands of miles from a dealership, how could I possible justify a Model S purchase? Couldn't they have some franchised dealerships? This IMO under minds there projected sales numbers cause they literally can't expect someone to buy a car that they can't see or would have to travel thousands of miles to see in person. I know a lot people pre-ordered the car before it was even built but your not going to get that level of excitement from any non- EV enthusiast.

Dealerships add unnecessary cost to the car as well up to 30% according to that one paper a few years ago (think it was DOJ paper looking at these dealership laws). Anyway, I like their model. Service locations are more of an issue than sales.

Do you really live thousands of miles from New York City if you live in upstate NY? I would think the NYC area location would be closer.

Agreed Jerry..in most of my experience with dealers, they seem to operate on the "what you don't know, won't hurt them" philosophy...I really dislike a complete disregard for transparency (from the retailer) when purchasing a product or service...

Have you never been to a dealer? Buying a car from a dealer is slightly more painful than having three teeth pulled with no anesthetic while having oil poured on you. Tesla will, with a bit of luck, put the dealer model out of business because it's one of the most consumer unfriendly systems out there (right up there with the IRS).

The problem with the dealer model (from a car purchasing aspect--there are other problems after you purchase the car) is that the dealer is out to maximize profit on every individual car. That means regardless of the price you pay, you always feel as if you were taken to the cleaners. The Tesla model is like every other retail store: There is a marked price and you either pay it or decide it's too expensive and go elsewhere. No hassles and no slimy salespersons to deal with. Tesla store attendants do not work on commission so they don't have a vested interest in making up things to get more money.

Not hard at all. You go to the website, make a reservation, wait in line, and get your car at your home or office. Couldn't be simpler.

Do you really live thousands of miles from New York City if you live in upstate NY? I would think the NYC area location would be closer.

Yes an 8 hour drive when I went the last time. I'm not going to buy a $57,000 car (even though I'd probably buy the $84,000 version) online. I like the model but the expansion is too slow. If they put dealerships evenly throughout the country it would work far better. If the dealerships are designed to show off the cars and the electric experience wouldn't that make more sense then having so many in SoCal? I know they want to build around sales but its had to get people to buy something they haven't seen/have never heard of.

Traditional Dealerships really don't excuse Tesla unless their model is better and, as of right now, its not!

Yes an 8 hour drive when I went the last time. I'm not going to buy a $57,000 car (even though I'd probably buy the $84,000 version) online. I like the model but the expansion is too slow. If they put dealerships evenly throughout the country it would work far better. If the dealerships are designed to show off the cars and the electric experience wouldn't that make more sense then having so many in SoCal? I know they want to build around sales but its had to get people to buy something they haven't seen/have never heard of.

Traditional Dealerships really don't excuse Tesla unless their model is better and, as of right now, its not!

Hi Ben,

As mentioned in another thread Tesla's current model works fine for the anticipated production rates. The last thing that Tesla wants to do is expand demand too quickly when they can't satisfy the backlog in a reasonable time frame. As Elon has repeatedly stated they are production constrained, not demand constrained. What is needed is what Tesla plans to do. That is, increase the number of stores in target markets (and service centers) distribute more cars to those stores and start providing test drives to non-reservation holders. Going back to the painful dealership franchise model is certainly not needed to do this. We've already seen an uptick in the reservation rate with just the Get Amped events.

Larry

Why would this change?

With a fixed price everyone pays the same. With the dealer model, everyone pays a different amount. In the Middle Ages when travelers went to an inn the proprietor sized them up and estimated how much they were willing to pay. Then they haggled over the meal. Now you pay a fixed price set down in the menu. Buying a car though a dealer is the Middle Ages method.

Hi Ben,

As mentioned in another thread Tesla's current model works fine for the anticipated production rates. The last thing that Tesla wants to do is expand demand too quickly when they can't satisfy the backlog in a reasonable time frame. As Elon has repeatedly stated they are production constrained, not demand constrained. What is needed is what Tesla plans to do. That is, increase the number of stores in target markets (and service centers) distribute more cars to those stores and start providing test drives to non-reservation holders. Going back to the painful dealership franchise model is certainly not needed to do this. We've already seen an uptick in the reservation rate with just the Get Amped events.

Larry

I don't think people are understanding if the wait is 6 months or less with a traditional auto maker but Tesla's shown incredible transparency. I think Tesla buys would be able to wait 8 months. So if you put dealerships in place it will allow people to learn about the cars and save up for the top model. My point is that traditional buyers aren't going to be comfortable enough buy cars online that they've never seen. Which effectively means your selling cars to EV enthusiasts and people in the cities with dealerships.

My point is that traditional buyers aren't going to be comfortable enough buy cars online that they've never seen. Which effectively means your selling cars to EV enthusiasts and people in the cities with dealerships.

I dunno. I purchased my last car before there were even pictures of it on the Internet.

I don't think people are understanding if the wait is 6 months or less with a traditional auto maker but Tesla's shown incredible transparency. I think Tesla buys would be able to wait 8 months. So if you put dealerships in place it will allow people to learn about the cars and save up for the top model. My point is that traditional buyers aren't going to be comfortable enough buy cars online that they've never seen. Which effectively means your selling cars to EV enthusiasts and people in the cities with dealerships.

You're right that this model of sales may leave some people out but it also saves Tesla and the consumer money, allows Tesla tighter control of their message and sales force and also happens to be the way younger people and the next generation of car buyers are used to buying things. I hadn't been to a dealership in a decade until my car had a transmission problem and I bought a Jetta. Including the test drive and paperwork I think I was there for 6 hours and got pitched multiple products before I could get out the door. Buying from Tesla has been much easier. I think people are going to like it.

What is needed is what Tesla plans to do. That is, increase the number of stores in target markets (and service centers) distribute more cars to those stores and start providing test drives to non-reservation holders. Going back to the painful dealership franchise model is certainly not needed to do this.

My point is that traditional buyers aren't going to be comfortable enough buy cars online that they've never seen. Which effectively means your selling cars to EV enthusiasts and people in the cities with dealerships.

Hi Ben,

My point is if you read my previous remarks you'll see the need for traditional buyers to see and test drive the cars can certainly be accommodated without resorting to the conventional dealership franchise model.

Larry

Hi Ben,

My point is if you read my previous remarks you'll see the need for traditional buyers to see and test drive the cars can certainly be accommodated without resorting to the conventional dealership franchise model.

Larry

How? And remember Toronto is the closest dealership to me and there is no way people will travel that far to see a car. Plus there are people in the country further from a dealership then me.

Really Ben?

Why don't you pm KBF (from Manitoba...reservation #S1) and ask him if he traveled to Toronto to see (not even test drive) the Model S.

(BTW, Toronto is getting a store, not a "dealership" as you keep stating.)

In my opinion, I'm not sure you could be more incorrect assuming folks won't travel to see the Model S...perhaps you should ask Hans or Sarah from the Toronto office how surprised TMC was by the number of folks who attended (from all over the world) last year's Model S event in Freemont?

This is history being made, cupholders be dammed...

How? And remember Toronto is the closest dealership to me and there is no way people will travel that far to see a car. Plus there are people in the country further from a dealership then me.

Ben,

I understand your frustration at not having a Tesla store near you. But the bottom line is that Tesla has no reason whatsoever to believe that they have a demand problem in the near future (12 months at least). All the have right now is a production/supply problem for those who already want their product. If/when Tesla finds that their supply of vehicles outstrips demand, they may choose to do a better job of marketing the car and opening stores in more areas, including perhaps near you. But it makes no sense for them to open a store everywhere and anywhere right now when they can't provide cars to people who put down reservations before stores even existed!

Tesla wants to sell a lot of car and one guy from Manitoba isn't going to get it done! Think about it, I live 10 to 15 mins away from BMW and Mercedes dealerships. I love Tesla and will eventually get one regardless of their nearest location but I don't see how Tesla will translate normal car buyers that see something on the Model S (like an article or maybe on Top Gear) into sales without them being able to see and test drive the car. Tesla can have franchised dealerships and still retain what I hear is excellent customer service. I think having Franchisees will lower the cost to Tesla and increase the speed of expansion.

And to the issue of too much demand: I'm sure millions of people want a Ferrari but only so many people can afford it. The more you build brand awareness and the dealership network around the country the better the demand will be for the GenIII.

Tesla wants to sell a lot of car and one guy from Manitoba isn't going to get it done! Think about it, I live 10 to 15 mins away from BMW and Mercedes dealerships. I love Tesla and will eventually get one regardless of their nearest location but I don't see how Tesla will translate normal car buyers that see something on the Model S (like an article or maybe on Top Gear) into sales without them being able to see and test drive the car. Tesla can have franchised dealerships and still retain what I hear is excellent customer service. I think having Franchisees will lower the cost to Tesla and increase the speed of expansion.

And to the issue of too much demand: I'm sure millions of people want a Ferrari but only so many people can afford it. The more you build brand awareness and the dealership network around the country the better the demand will be for the GenIII.

You're right that it would be ideal to have a Tesla store in every city but that's just not possible at this point. The city where my family lives in the midwest has less than 100,000 people but has a Toyota, Dodge and Ford dealership there. There would be little sense in Tesla putting a store there in 2012 when they could drive 3 hours and be in Chicago for a test drive. Is that ideal? No but it's practical. There just isn't the buying power in smaller cities/regions or the financial resources on Tesla's part to put a store in every city. Maybe in a few years as they grow there will be but not right away. It takes time to grow this kind of network I'd bet.

Tesla can have franchised dealerships and still retain what I hear is excellent customer service. I think having Franchisees will lower the cost to Tesla and increase the speed of expansion.

Hi Ben,

Here's an interesting read:

DISINTERMEDIATION IN THE U.S. AUTO INDUSTRY - GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS STANFORD UNIVERSITY

No franchises do not lower costs.

DISTRIBUTION AND MARKETING: THE FRANCHISED DEALERSHIP CHANNEL
On average, distribution costs accounted for approximately 30% of the retail sales price of a vehicle. About half of these costs were manufacturer-related: expenditures on advertising, promotion (including cash rebates and low-interest loans), transportation, and handling. The other half was dealer-related: inventory financing and insurance, advertising, payroll and sales commissions, general overhead (rent, salaries, etc.), and profit.

There's a very good reason why Elon and George are not following the conventional franchising dealership model.
No they do not have excellent customer service.

THE CAR-BUYING EXPERIENCE
Industry observers generally agreed that the auto industry’s push-oriented system of production and distribution (by which manufacturers pumped product into the distribution channel based on imperfect measures of demand), coupled with an oversupply of dealers, created the high-pressure sales environment loathed by virtually all car buyers. While high-demand vehicles sold quickly, less-popular models required greater sales and promotional effort. Because dealers had to pay interest and insurance on vehicles each day they remained on the lot, they were highly motivated to move their inventory as quickly as possible. In turn, dealers often motivated their salespeople to sell lower-demand vehicles by offering higher commissions on sales of those models.

Wishing to maximize their profit per vehicle, dealers sought to extract the highest price a customer was willing to pay. Dealers knew that individual car buyers differed in their price sensitivity, in their knowledge about dealers’ willingness to reduce prices, and in their ability to negotiate a price. Hence, dealerships faced systemic reasons to model their operations based on strong sales and negotiation skills. This situation created the uncomfortable sales environment that typified most dealerships.

Voluminous anecdotal accounts of poor car-buying experiences were corroborated by consumer survey results. A 1999 Gallup poll, for example, asked people to rank the honesty of various professions: car dealers scored lowest.36 Gallup also found that only 42% of consumers had a “positive experience” in buying a new car.37 And car dealerships were the subjects of more complaints to Better Business Bureaus than any other industry.38 Female consumers generally reported a greater degree of dissatisfaction with the car-buying process than males. Interestingly, while women accounted for more than half of all salespeople across all industries, they comprised only 7.3% of all new-car salespeople. (A notable exception was Saturn, which heavily targeted women buyers: about 25% of Saturn “sales consultants” were female.39)

Consumers’ distaste for the car-buying experience was reflected in dealers’ poor customer loyalty performance. While manufacturers enjoyed moderate rates of customer loyalty—averaging 56.9% repeat business for the industry overall40—dealers saw only 20% of their customers return to buy a car.41 Dealers fared somewhat better on service: as the manufacturers’ exclusive providers of authorized service, dealers as a whole captured virtually all warranty-covered business. But in-warranty cars accounted for only 20-25% of the 205 million vehicles on U.S. roads (the median age of which was about 8 years); dealers had only 15% of the market for nonwarranty service.42 Overall, the average dealership saw fewer than 50% of its buyers ever return, whether for service or to purchase another vehicle.43

Larry

Last edited:
The days of the traditional dealership are numbered...sure, it will take years before they're gone, but they will go the way of the dinos...

There is a new MB dealership in Burlington where I grew up...open about three years ago...the plant cost around 14 million dollars to build...every time I pass by it, I wonder both how badly there customers are being jobbed for their ICE vehicles copious service requirements, and, if the owners of the dealership will ever be able to pay off their debt...glad though I am that I will not be contributing to their cause...:wink::smile: