Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I love this. What exactly do they know about selling a car that Tesla couldn't learn very quickly or hire someone to teach them? They must be worried but until Tesla gets big enough or the major automakers decide the dealership model is no longer in their interest and start spending some serious money to lobby for changes at the state level, the dealerships hold a big advantage with laws that always favor them.

I noticed this map was part of the annual shareholder meeting presentation (24:25), but it wasn't talked about much. I decided to project it onto a more detailed map to see if we can determine the locations of new stores. Clearly the dots on the map are not exactly placed, but since when should that stop us? :biggrin:

View attachment 6647

Here's my take on the locations:

Existing (green dots)
  1. Bellevue Square (Bellevue, WA)
  2. Menlo Park (Menlo Park, CA)
  3. Santana Row (San Jose, CA)
  4. Los Angeles (West Los Angeles, CA)
    Fashion Island (Newport Beach, CA)
    (not open yet) Third Street Promenade (Santa Monica, CA)
  5. San Diego (San Diego, CA)
  6. Park Meadows (Lone Tree, CO)
  7. Houston Galleria (Houston, TX)
  8. Oakbrook (Oak Brook, IL)
  9. Washington DC (Washington, DC)
  10. New York (New York, NY)
  11. (not open yet) Boston, MA?
  12. Florida (Dania Beach, FL)

Planned (red dots)
  13. Vancouver, BC
  14. Portland, OR
  15. Sacramento, CA?
  16. Chula Vista, CA?
  17. Fashion Square (Scottsdale, AZ)
    (existing) Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ)
  18. (from jobs page) North Park (Dallas, TX)
  19. Madison, WI?
    Minneapolis, MN?
  20. (from jobs page) Atlanta, GA
  21. (from jobs page) Raleigh, NC service?
    TN location?
  22. Pittsburgh, PA?
  23. (existing) Toronto (Toronto, ON)
  24. (existing) Westchester (White Plains, NY)?
  25. Portland, ME?
    Montreal or Quebec City, QC?
  26. Providence, RI?
  27. (from jobs page) King of Prussia (Philadelphia, PA)
  28. Lincoln Road (Miami Beach, FL )
    Millenia (Orlando, FL )

Not marked on map
(from jobs page) St. Louis, MO service
(from jobs page) Oklahoma service

My apologies for the North American focus.

I'd be surprised if there is anything in Chula Vista. A San Diego service center would probably not be that far south. That would be quite a drive from central/north county. My vote would be something like the Miramar area, which is central to most of San Diego county, and already has quite a bit of automotive types of establishments.

I'd be surprised if there is anything in Chula Vista.....

Was going to say the same thing. Wife grew up there. Where is the high mall there?

By the way. Santa Barbara needs a store. There is a Ferrari auto gallery in Calabasas as well. Thousand Oaks, Agorua, Westlake, Thousand Oaks has that Mall with the Fiat store.

There is an old Mall called the Whizzin Center in Agoura. It's getting an amazing LEED retrofit that would be great for a Tesla store.

Last edited:
"At a [typical dealership location] we might get 20 people through a day," he said, "where a typical mall store would get 3,500 a week."

The LA store gets dozens of customers a day. Many are vacationers/travelers and they have a very high sell rate. When the more to the 3rd street Promenade at the end of the month the sales people will have to talk to thousands of people a week. Sounds exhausting.

The high end malls are Fashion Valley (Mission Valley area) and UTC (University Town Center), which is getting a $1 Billion dollar makeover.

Personally I think UTC would be the best choice for a San Diego retail location. It's adjacent to La Jolla, one of the highest $ zip codes in the country, and very close to Rancho Sante Fe, which is an even wealthier community. It's closer to North County where there is also lots of money (Del Mar, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach). Fashion Valley is a beautiful mall, but I think once UTC's renovation is done, it will hold the title as ritziest in San Diego.

When the Beta tour came to the old Newport Beach store last year, the rep I spoke to said that Tesla was close to inking a store in the Mission Valley area, but this was 14 months ago, and they still haven't announced anything that I know of, so who knows.

I'd be surprised if there is anything in Chula Vista. A San Diego service center would probably not be that far south. That would be quite a drive from central/north county. My vote would be something like the Miramar area, which is central to most of San Diego county, and already has quite a bit of automotive types of establishments.

That was just a wild guess. I don't know SoCal, so I just picked something south of San Diego. I assume it's not Tijuana or Yuma. Maybe that was supposed to be another location in San Diego county. Or maybe the map is old and it is San Diego.

ggr, do you know for a fact that Tesla is going into UTC?

Well, if you count the managers of the Santa Monica and Fashion Island stores telling me so as fact, yes. It's possible that they are mistaken about San Diego's layout, but I don't think so. The service center is going to be "somewhere in North County" (from the manager of the Newport service center, who will be relocating down).

I love this. What exactly do they know about selling a car that Tesla couldn't learn very quickly or hire someone to teach them? They must be worried but until Tesla gets big enough or the major automakers decide the dealership model is no longer in their interest and start spending some serious money to lobby for changes at the state level, the dealerships hold a big advantage with laws that always favor them.

+1. Does anyone enjoy buying cars from dealers? Or is the "just the way it's done."?

I find it humorous that the association's acronym is "NADA". Neatly sums up the value added by car dealers, IMO.

+1. Does anyone enjoy buying cars from dealers? Or is the "just the way it's done."?

I find it humorous that the association's acronym is "NADA". Neatly sums up the value added by car dealers, IMO.

No, my last two car purchases (one used and one new) were both done via the internet (both with dealers, but I only went in to sign paperwork). Used was done via ebay (MINI Cooper which I've had for nearly a decade) and new was ebay as well, but I made a OBO and had to do some "further negotiation".

my last two car purchases (one used and one new) were both done via the internet (both with dealers, but I only went in to sign paperwork).

Me too. That's how both my Prius were purchased. Negative value added by dealers because the first one made me wait before even talking to me (when I went to pick up the car), and the second kept me in the finance office for nine hours trying to sell me every scam in the book. I think he was really trying to make me so frustrated that I would cancel the sale. That would have allowed them to keep the car and sell it for thousands over MSRP.

I was told at the Dania Beach store they are opening a retail store in Orlando (already on the map) and service center in Tampa. I know that Orlando is a lot more central, but from the list of reservation holders for the Model S, Tampa was a better location for them.

You can find news on both over in the Florida section as well as in other places on the forum. In Florida:

• Tesla is opening a store in Miami Beach which seems temporarily mired in city planning issues. It was slated to open in June, then July and now sounds like August or even September.
  • Dania Beach will remain as a Service Center.
  • A store is planned in the Millenia Mall (Orlando). As the location is known we can assume it will be before the end of the year, although there's no official date AFAIK.
  • Tampa will have a Service Center. Location unknown as yet, but rumors are that it will be open late this year.

That's all the official stuff. There's also plenty of wishful thinking about a third FL store in the SWFL area.... :wink:

P.S. Us Reservations holders in this area are happy that we get service close to us (although we trust we won't need it); once you've got your car service location is more important than store location.

• Tesla is opening a store in Miami Beach which seems temporarily mired in city planning issues. It was slated to open in June, then July and now sounds like August or even September.
  • Dania Beach will remain as a Service Center
Hi Nigel,

This of course raises an interesting question. Tesla tells us that test drives are scheduled for the Miami Beach store from July 28-29, but if the store opening is delayed to Auguest or later will they also delay the test drives or reschedule them for the Dania Beach location? In terms if logistics it might be easier to arrange for test rides at Dania Beach than Miami Beach.

Larry