Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla supercharger available slot accuracy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my drive back to Ottawa from Toronto last night I had to stop at the Kingston supercharger. It was strange because as I was driving I kept checking once in a while to see how many available slots there were and it showed full. As I got closer to Kingston it finally showed 1 empty so I was happy but when I got there only 1 Model X was charging yet my screen still showed that all were occupied.

I'm wondering, can we rely on the built-in lightning bolt supercharger availability information?

Last edited:
On my drive back to Ottawa from Toronto last night I had to stop the Kingston supercharger. It was strange because as I was driving I kept checking once in a while to see how many available slots there were and it showed full. As I got closer to Kingston it finally showed 1 empty so I was happy but when I got there only 1 Model X was charging yet my screen still showed that all were occupied.

I'm wondering, can we rely on the built-in lightning bolt supercharger availability information?

For what it's worth, thanks for that info. I was coincidently looking at Kingston about 5pm yesterday and it showed as full for me. Now I'm getting nervous about trusting those projections.

Reactions: Rlhm3
On my drive back to Ottawa from Toronto last night I had to stop at the Kingston supercharger. It was strange because as I was driving I kept checking once in a while to see how many available slots there were and it showed full. As I got closer to Kingston it finally showed 1 empty so I was happy but when I got there only 1 Model X was charging yet my screen still showed that all were occupied.

Maybe you were reading the available charging stations in reverse? It would then make sense with your scenario, as if it was showing 1 "empty" and 1 was parked, then you may have misread it?

IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg
see photos this am.

IMG_0408.jpg IMG_0409.jpg

Last edited:
Its never been very accurate, however I've only ever seen it say a site was fuller than it actually is. Since its always conservative, there should always be a spot if it says there is and you can count on it. The only issue is that you might end up skipping a site thinking it was full when it wasn't.

Maybe you were reading the available charging stations in reverse? It would then make sense with your scenario, as if it was showing 1 "empty" and 1 was parked, then you may have misread it?

I questioned myself at the time especially since it was my first experience with a Tesla and superchargers. So, I pressed on the icon to get the full details where it said "X of X stalls available". Turns out I was reading it right.

For what it's worth, thanks for that info. I was coincidently looking at Kingston about 5pm yesterday and it showed as full for me. Now I'm getting nervous about trusting those projections.
They often overstate if anything, so why would this make you nervous?

Also, if you get there and it's full you won't have to wait too long (10-15 minutes in theory) for one to open up so either just wait or go to the next supercharger

Someone will say 'but if I don't have time I can't wait' to which I will say leave ten minutes early. It's an electric car.

Columbia SC Supercharger shows 2 stalls always in use... turns out 3a and 3b are out of service, and those show as "busy". But if the nav system shows a slot open, you can count on that. Since I'm still relatively new with Tesla, I love the opportunity to talk to another tesla person at the SC and them showing stalls as in use makes me get excited for nothing... silly I know... my wife gives me a hard time about it as well.

• Funny
Reactions: RedSafari