Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Takes Unofficial Second-Place Position In J.D. Power's Tech Study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Tesla didn’t give J.D. Power permission to survey owners in every state, so its results don’t count. Following suit with its other recent studies, J.D. Power has included Tesla in its Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study. However, since Tesla doesn’t allow the company to survey owners in 15 states, the automaker isn’t ranked. Nonetheless, its...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/08/20/volvo-beats-tesla-jd-power-tech-survey/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Tesla really needs to acquire a company capable of bolstering its voice recognition. Tesla recognizes speech at about 1/4 the rate of Apple's Siri. I've seen this effect in two cars. They really handicap themselves when their manual (online, offline and update notes) incorrectly explains how to invoke the function.

Reactions: BlindPass
Volvo and Tesla just came bottom of a reliability survey in Uk Which magazine. Debate worth having is how important reliability is to customer satisfaction. I suspect the average Tesla owner loves their car so much they can easily overlook the occasional sticking door handle.

We have both, the tesla is ahead except for:

Playlist shows on the screen in the volvo when playing music over bluetooth.
HUD
360 Camrea
Blind Spot Indicators on the mirrors.
Android Auto / Car Play (if that counts).

I didn't realize we bought the two least reliable brands though :(

I'm more confused as to why Tesla doesn't allow surveys in 15 states. How is a survey of customers controlled by a corporation? They should have no say in how surveys are done to customers its not their car, its the individual persons car and they should be allowed to take a survey or not at their own discretion.

We have both, the Tesla is ahead except for:

Playlist shows on the screen in the Volvo when playing music over Bluetooth.
HUD
360 Camera
Blind Spot Indicators on the mirrors.
Android Auto / Car Play (if that counts).

Yes, I agree it would be nice to have all of those features! Third party solutions are available for the 360 camera / surround view and HUD items but it would really be nice if they were standard on all Teslas going forward.

Also, they should make free unlimited Supercharging available as an option on the Model 3 / Y (perhaps for an additional fee). They could run promotions on this from time to time to help increase sales.

I traded in a XC40 for the model 3, I too like the 360 camera in the Volvo and the blind spot warning, I personally like the interior in the Volvo a little better.

tech wise I think the tesla is leaps and bounds ahead, I could never get the voice recognition to work in the Volvo, in the tesla it works every time. The Volvo pilot-assist is more like suicide-assist, disconnects with no warning, full steam ahead until the very last minute and then stomped on the brakes.

The tesla also notices cars pulling into your lane much earlier, the Volvo needed at least half the car in front to be in your lane before it would recognize it. The lane tracking was also awful in the Volvo, wouldn’t slow down for corners and would “tank slap” back and forth in its lane in corners if it didn’t already disconnect. Only thing volvo did better was you could take temporary manual control for lane changes by using the indicators, having to disconnect AP (Non FSD) for every lane change only to re-engage and listen to the bing-bonging drives me nuts...

Tesla really needs to acquire a company capable of bolstering its voice recognition. Tesla recognizes speech at about 1/4 the rate of Apple's Siri. I've seen this effect in two cars. They really handicap themselves when their manual (online, offline and update notes) incorrectly explains how to invoke the function.
Interesting...,my Model 3 speech is usually better that Siri.

I'm more confused as to why Tesla doesn't allow surveys in 15 states. How is a survey of customers controlled by a corporation? They should have no say in how surveys are done to customers its not their car, its the individual persons car and they should be allowed to take a survey or not at their own discretion.
1969: J.D. Power enters the auto market with its first client, Toyota Motor Company.

JD powers works for the auto companies - i.e. NOT you. consider the source - use internet search to discover who/what the source is, how they make/who pays money, you'll be less confused.