Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla taking off in BC, Canada!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in the neighbourhood of the Service Centre today so I thought to have a look. Met Robin Peterson there and she offered me a test drive for a 85. It was a blast. She told me that there are currently about 200 MS's in BC and 8 roadsters. She also mentioned that there was one customer who drove 70,000 KM in one year without noticeable degradation of the battery.

Nice boat Vger! What charges the batteries? Only shore power or do I see a little wind turbine at the top of the sails, and some solar panels? Maybe also regenerative braking... ;)

So far, mostly shore power. The drivetrain can do regenerative recharging if the wind is strong enough and one is sailing downwind (hull must not be heeled too much), but the performance is not too good in the current form. The motor controller was not well optimized for it alas. The company was bought out and essentially stopped development. Sigh!

No wind turbine or solar yet. I have been waiting for the marine-grade tech to develop a bit and come down in price. I intend to put a lot of solar thin-film on the deck, maybe some this year.

I just walked my dog and saw 2 other MSs within three blocks of my apartment. One was the same as mine (except they have upgraded wheels), with one digit different on the license plate, so I parked behind them to confuse them. I wonder if they are on this website?? They would have taken delivery March 26th-31st.

From what I could observe, the Montreal service center was also very busy at the end of March.

Insideevs is providing a "ball park figure" of 20-40 Model S sales in March in all of Canada. I'm thinking Tesla hit one out of the park.

Another site simply states "20," without mentioning that it's only their (feeble) attempt at a guess.

On the topic of Model S sightings: there seems to be at least two near where I live in Victoria, I've seen them many times now. In the region I've seen a black, gray, and red so there have to be at least 4 in total. :) I was told at one point there were 8 in Victoria - no idea if that number has changed and if so, how quickly.

So who here thinks a Supercharger just north of Naniamo would make sense? It would allow travel all the way up the island, as well as to Tofino. Putting it north of Nanaimo would mean people traveling from the mainland via Horseshoe Bay could use it.

On the topic of Model S sightings: there seems to be at least two near where I live in Victoria, I've seen them many times now. In the region I've seen a black, gray, and red so there have to be at least 4 in total. :) I was told at one point there were 8 in Victoria - no idea if that number has changed and if so, how quickly.
Just to add what little knowledge I have: I'm (at least one) grey (unless my son has stolen it for a little ride like right now), there are two sig reds in Victoria and one (two?) sig reds on Saltspring, a black in Oak Bay, and a silver somewhere around that I haven't seen yet. I also saw an MC red a couple of weeks ago on the Gorge but don't know if they were visitors or locals.

So who here thinks a Supercharger just north of Naniamo would make sense? It would allow travel all the way up the island, as well as to Tofino. Putting it north of Nanaimo would mean people traveling from the mainland via Horseshoe Bay could use it.
Well, from Victoria you can easily get to Comox on a single 85 charge, and I'll be testing out whether you can get to Tofino on a single charge in a couple of weeks during the Drive4Dimentia rally - on paper it looks like no problem. Vger did Tofino in their Roadster (I *think* it was a single charge). I just don't know that the Island has enough demand at this point that would warrant the expense, given all the other high priority high population density choices that Tesla needs to pay attention to. When the model E comes out, now that's a possibility, I think there are a lot of folks on the Island who would jump.

Well, from Victoria you can easily get to Comox on a single 85 charge, and I'll be testing out whether you can get to Tofino on a single charge in a couple of weeks

But you can't get there and back, meaning it is only feasible if you are staying overnight and there is a place to charge.

I just don't know that the Island has enough demand at this point that would warrant the expense, given all the other high priority high population density choices that Tesla needs to pay attention to. When the model E comes out, now that's a possibility, I think there are a lot of folks on the Island who would jump.

Tofino sees about a million visitors annually. Mount Washington sees 250,000 per year, and you can't get there and back from Victoria on a single charge.

Whistler is definitely a bigger destination, with about 4.5 million visitors per year, so of course Squamish makes more sense to do first. But a Supercharger on the island would benefit a lot of people other than those just going to one destination.

I think it should be "on the radar" for the next wave in Canada after Vancouver - Calgary and the "Quebec-Windsor corridor".

Just to add what little knowledge I have: I'm (at least one) grey (unless my son has stolen it for a little ride like right now), there are two sig reds in Victoria and one (two?) sig reds on Saltspring, a black in Oak Bay, and a silver somewhere around that I haven't seen yet. I also saw an MC red a couple of weeks ago on the Gorge but don't know if they were visitors or locals.

Well, from Victoria you can easily get to Comox on a single 85 charge, and I'll be testing out whether you can get to Tofino on a single charge in a couple of weeks during the Drive4Dimentia rally - on paper it looks like no problem. Vger did Tofino in their Roadster (I *think* it was a single charge). I just don't know that the Island has enough demand at this point that would warrant the expense, given all the other high priority high population density choices that Tesla needs to pay attention to. When the model E comes out, now that's a possibility, I think there are a lot of folks on the Island who would jump.

There is only one Sig on SSI, ours. There is a recently purchased second 85 which is white. The owner is not on the forum, to my knowledge.

Yes, we did Tofino (from SSI) on one charge, when the car was new, and can still do it 4 years later, in good weather. We have done it in the Model S twice, easily on one charge from SSI, but of course, Victoria is significantly further (40-70 km).

I have also thought that, eventually, at least one SpC on Vancouver Island would be warranted, but we are a ways from that demand yet, I think. The island is very well covered by Sun Country Highway, at the 70A L2 level, so long-distance travel on the Island is already quite practical. One can make it end to end (Vic to Port Hardy) with just a couple charges. For trips to Tofino, there is a conveniently located SCH 70A charger in Port Alberni, which can be used for "insurance" charges in both directions.

The island is very well covered by Sun Country Highway, at the 70A L2 level, so long-distance travel on the Island is already quite practical.

If you have twin chargers. :) I bought a demo car which did not have them. Sitting around for hours and hours and hours and hours at 6 kW (30A) or even 8 kW (40A) gets old really quickly. Even with twin chargers and 70A @ 200V (14 kW), I wouldn't go so far as to call long-distance travel by Model S "practical" so much as "possible".

Taking the example Victoria - Tofino - that's roughly 640 km round trip, which means at least 8 hours of charging at 6 kW or at least 3 hours at 14 kW. That little bit extra distance makes a huge difference when you're charging at the equivalent of less than 30 km per hour.

There is only one Sig on SSI, ours. There is a recently purchased second 85 which is white. The owner is not on the forum, to my knowledge.

SSI will temporarily get a white 60 this summer (we're heading up after TMC Connect in July).

I saw another Sig Red on SSI last summer -- and it wasn't yours since you were off-island at the time. I'm sure it was just a weekend visitor though...