Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla threat or just possibly, a new game player?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car manufacturers, particularly US ones, have been producing massive trucks for decades, but the only big market for them seems to be domestic. Large trucks/pickups have always been popular in the US, right from the days of the stepside. I remember collecting a hire car around 25 years ago, from Washington DC, after a delayed flight from the West Coast, just as the Avis place was shutting up for the night. The lady apologised, and told me all she had left was a "Jimmy". Being tired, and not having a clue what a "Jimmy" was, I just signed the chit and headed off to find the car, only to discover it was a ginormous GMC pickup. Great fun navigating that down into Southern Maryland, late at night.

Somehow I doubt that GMC will even bother to type approve the electric Hummer here. IIRC, none of the other big US vehicles in this class have ever been approved and sold new here, the few that have been imported have come in as personal or grey imports, I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Hummer. it's supposed to be starting production next and available in 2022.
GM have said that they don't have a single Hummer made. Not a test article, not a pre-production vehicle, not a test-mule. All they have is a display model.

Looks like GM is taken lessons from Nikola....
GM Admits It Doesn't Actually Have A Real, Working Hummer EV Yet

Automotive manufacturers model all the cockpit ergonomics, the air resistance fluid flow dynamics and the car's construction and components as you'ld expect by computer. They've done a pretty good job of modelling it for the film clips too. I wouldn't expect they'd get many suprises in production and could likely knock one up from printed parts if it was felt necessary to prototype further.