Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to launch Full Self Driving beta to select drivers next week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember, Elon didn't say the rewrite would be actual FSD. He says that his car can go from home to work with nearly no intervention. He didn't say that he never had to intervene. It's still a work in process, and those of us, like myself, who purchased FSD, knew or should have known, that we are the people who are training the neural net. It's our job to stay alert and intervene properly as soon as intervention is needed. If you weren't OK with that, you shouldn't have bought the FSD. I'm not associated with Tesla in any way, but I am considering buying some stock. So you can interpret my remarks with that in mind.

Not only the people who bought FSD are training the network but all Tesla’s are training the network; even if you did not buy FSD.

Reactions: JupiterMan
Not only the people who bought FSD are training the network but all Tesla’s are training the network; even if you did not buy FSD.
That's a good point, and of course, it's correct. The difference is that people without FSD are always alert and engaged in the driving process. Those of us who enjoy playing with new tech need to work at staying engaged even when the FSD is doing a good job since it's tempting to relax and enjoy the ride. But you can't do that because you never know from which direction a problem might arise that FSD won't deal with appropriately. There have been some interventions while I've been driving that FSD might have handled, but I didn't care to wait and see if it would work right. You don't get do-overs in cars.

That's a good point, and of course, it's correct. The difference is that people without FSD are always alert and engaged in the driving process. Those of us who enjoy playing with new tech need to work at staying engaged even when the FSD is doing a good job since it's tempting to relax and enjoy the ride. But you can't do that because you never know from which direction a problem might arise that FSD won't deal with appropriately. There have been some interventions while I've been driving that FSD might have handled, but I didn't care to wait and see if it would work right. You don't get do-overs in cars.

Yes, you are right. I have that all the time. Driving past parked cars for instance. I rather do it myself than relying on FSD. Just don’t trust that aspect enough.

Yes, you are right. I have that all the time. Driving past parked cars for instance. I rather do it myself than relying on FSD. Just don’t trust that aspect enough.
The parked car issue is important. I can't turn FSD on when I'm on a street (like my own block) where there are some parked cars. My M3 doesn't even see all the parked cars. It sees some of them. It even does some phantom braking. But it doesn't see all of them.

Hmmm, I think many users need to remind themselves what autosteer is meant to do (it is clearly stated in the user-manual):

"WARNING: Autosteer is not designed
to, and will not, steer Model S around
objects partially or completely in the
driving lane. Always watch the road in
front of you and stay prepared to take
appropriate action. It is the driver's
responsibility to be in control of
Model S at all times."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016-084006.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-084006.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 51
Hmmm, I think many users need to remind themselves what autosteer is meant to do (it is clearly stated in the user-manual):

"WARNING: Autosteer is not designed
to, and will not, steer Model S around
objects partially or completely in the
driving lane. Always watch the road in
front of you and stay prepared to take
appropriate action. It is the driver's
responsibility to be in control of
Model S at all times."
I believe you that autosteer won't protect you from cars parked in the street, but eventually, it's going to have to do that if Elon expects us to be able to send our cars out to work for us when we're not using them.

Elon expects lots of things.. it's that kind of enthusiasm that is how he got as far as he did, but the rest of us probably have to be a bit more realistic.
When I was a kid, I read a science fiction story in which the protagonist got into a self-driving cab, and not only did the cab take him where he wanted to go, it had a conversation with him that would have passed the Turing test. It would be cool if that sort of thing could actually happen in reality. One small step toward that goal, which nobody but me is suggesting, is that the taxi could be driven remotely in the sense that the driver could intervene remotely when the AI driving the car was unable to figure out what to do. That would allow for an extra passenger to ride in the cab, and it would prevent criminals from killing the driver.

When I was a kid, I read a science fiction story in which the protagonist got into a self-driving cab, and not only did the cab take him where he wanted to go, it had a conversation with him that would have passed the Turing test. It would be cool if that sort of thing could actually happen in reality. ......

Should such technology become available the cabby will spend the trip trying to promote Restaurants, clubs, amazon etc with no mute function... or demand your banking details